Used 1999 Isuzu Amigo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Isuzu Amigo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Amigo model:

The worst car you'll ever own.
By big dog Davidson

1999 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

I had this thing for 4 years, besides being ridiculously over priced, I had major engine problems with it right out of the box, my mileage was 9 city/13 hwy. Yeah I'm not kidding. They said the computer told them it was getting 23/26. The dealer never fixed the problem after 12-15 times in the shop. Sought legal action on this car. Very nearly flipped over on me 4-5 times, not stable at all! Just like a Jeep. The positives are in 4w/drive it's nearly unstoppable and the v6 makes loads of power. It looks better than a Jeep in my opinion, and the automatic tranny is quite good for a low end suv.

Favorite Features

Soft top is fun, and lots of horsepower.

Suggested Improvements

Everything, needs be steered clear of by all those who would buy.

Amigo
By Ct

1999 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

The Amigo was not a good family car. It did not break down at all during the time we had it but if you have kids you are going to tire of letting them out of the back seat all the time.In conclusion the Amigo was a good car but before buying one consider more practical choices like the Ford Explorer Toyota Rav4 or the Land Rover Freelander.

Favorite Features

Soft top, big offroad tires.

Suggested Improvements

Soft top leaks in the back seat when it rains. Two doors makes it tough for rear seat passengers to access the back seats. There is no back windshield wiper so you have to have some other way to clear it so you can see backing up.

Honolulu Jan's Amigo
By Janis Robinson

1999 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I have really enjoyed my Amigo. I bought it 4 yrs ago with about 70000 miles. Only in the last couple months have I had to invest in some repair. The exterior is awesome, not some military style... this is juicy. The back seat is useless. I have actually gotten stuck there a time or two. I had the privilege of working on my Amigo in the last few weeks. I had a gas leak, and helped to take off the intake manifold to access the gas line where it was leaking. The thermostat was located there too, making it challenging to replace, but interesting. The best thing is that it gets me up my driveway and back down again in any weather. Here in West Virginia the roads can be steep and challenging.

Favorite Features

Exterior appeal. Dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Do away with the rear sunroof and make the rear access more user friendly. Upgrade the CD player. Hard to keep functioning.

Works for me
By tekmo

1999 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I've had almost no problems with my Amigo. But I'm not hard on stuff, and I keep up on maintenance. It was between the Amigo and a Wrangler. Amigo won for 3 people in the back seat, and useful cargo area. The CD changer was intermittently problematic, but with the advent of iPods, ultimately unnecessary. In cold weather, the alarm system sometimes malfunctions. I disabled the audible alert. The only serious problem with that was when it was malfunctioning in an airport parking lot, and I came home to a dead battery. (Next time I pull the battery cables.) Have thoroughly enjoyed the car.

Favorite Features

Excellent in the snow, fun in the sun. Perfect size. Decent mileage. Looks cool. Unique.

Suggested Improvements

The upholstery is ugly, and the part that would fix my alarm is ridiculously expensive. It's hard to get in the back seat. One of those "mini-doors" would have remedied that.

Unfortunate Mistake
By Josh

1999 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I bought this car for 5,000 with low mileage. It had all the features and some new parts that was avalaible to an Amigo. The check engine light and brake light went on shortly after I bought it. I took it back to the dealership and got both of those problems "fixed" under warranty. As the winter came many problems followed; the 3rd brake light broke, the gas gauge broke and was replaced for $600, and the soft top cracked because of the cold weather. The engine also had an "inner problem", said my mechanic, and was slowly going to die. Well the engine got much worse very quickly and completely died on turnpike. I would never buy an Isuzu! I only put 6,000 miles on the car and now its trash!

Favorite Features

Replaced soft top. Good horsepower. Tires.

Suggested Improvements

Engine reliability. Gas mileage. Plastic interior/exterior parts. A/C. Clutch. Front & rear shocks. BRAKES. -4WD.