Used 1999 Isuzu Amigo SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Isuzu Amigo SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Amigo model:

Cute Car & Overall Good Quality
By bendyprissy

1999 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV

Bought used with 100K mi. Have put on 60K mi. Previous owner didn't take car of car at all but still has held up suprisingly well. Replaced timing belt to be safe & horn because it was barely heard. Only issue not caused by previous owner is metal section of roof between both sunroofs has enough of a rust spot to require fixing. No leaks anywhere, including both sunroofs which are removable - nice. My complaints: very little room inside (feels cramped) & difficult for people to get in/out of back seat; gas mileage from 18-21 mpg; & rough ride (not a sedan). Overall this is the cutest car I've ever owned & has never broken down, very high off ground, gets on/off beach easy w/o 4X4, & fun!

High ground clearance to go through those bigger puddles & to get around major accidents. Very stylish & cute! Have never got stuck anywhere including the beach & that's without the 4X4. Two flip-up or removable sunroofs is nice & fun - helps to circulate air throughout car since there are no opening back windows. Spare tire on back door is great for a woman who would have trouble getting it from underneath the SUV. Back door opens as one piece & has open-locking device so it won't shut on you. Back seat folds flat to give good amount of cargo space. Driver's side air conditioning vent at seat level, as well as floor, helps to cool. V6 engine has great power! Orange-red color is awesome!

Removable hard top - though would be very heavy. Smoother ride as it is very bouncy. Easier way to get in/out of back seat - possibly those little doors that require the front door to open - like the FJ Cruiser. Louder horn. Sliding sunroof covers versus expensive snap-in plates that have a tendency to fall off & hurt head or suprise you while driving. Tint on sunroofs versus dotted applique. Power/winter mode buttons put on dash versus the center console directly in front of the cupholders.

Exhausting
By Bansley

1999 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

The Amigo is a SUPER FUN car to drive when it's working correctly. The size is perfect. Cute, compact. Can crawl up some mean inclines. As a first car for a young driver it handled its share of curbs close calls. Unfortunately, an endless struggle with the transmission and less than favorable gas mileage has caused me to sell my beloved Amigo. Transmission was rebuilt in 2007 months after the purchase, and it's now acting up again. It gets around 16-17 mpg, which simply doesn't cut it for a struggling college student. The Amigo also suffers from poor visibility with the soft top and cracked windows from winter storms.

Accelerates like a beast, is a powerhouse. Great height for road visibility. Fun, sporty.

Tougher soft top windows, less blind spots, improved transmission.

Great, Reliable Car
By Trucklet

1999 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

This is the second soft top Amigo that I own. My first one, a 1992 bare bones model, 4 cylinder, standard shift, plastic interior no A/C ($12,000), I had to sell, because I broke my hip and could not drive stick shift anymore. I hated to part with this one, because it was such a practical car. But I got another Amigo, a 1999 with all the bells and whistles, including automatic shift, running boards, AC, 6-speaker cassette, all electric, etc. This is the best car ever! Within those 11 years, I replaced brakes and the battery, that's all. This is the most maintenance-free car I've ever owned. Too bad Isuzu doesn't offer any SUVs or cars in the States anymore.

Removable top, back zip-out window (when hauling long boards). Stand/fold- up back seats for great space in back, for hauling even more, bigger things, or for my dogs.

More space to get into back seat. My fat dog has a hard time squeezing into the back. Larger ash tray with light to be able to see it at night. Work on blind spot on right rear - it's difficult getting back into the right lane. Very dangerous! A young, inexperienced driver might have an accident.

Goodbye Friend
By AmigoFan

1999 Isuzu Amigo SUV S 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

I've owned my Amigo for just over 10 wonderful years. I see that some people have had a bad experience but I cannot say the same. I bought it with 14 miles and put every one on since. It's been my best friend and gone with me all up and down the east coast without any major issues. I didn't chage the timimg belt when I should have but Isuzu replaced the engine when it broke some thousands of miles later. I only wish I could give it a proper burial. Goodbye, my friend, may your replacement garner the same place in my heart.

Reliabiltiy, dependability and the ability to limp on and on through much neglect.

Bring back the Amigo!

Amigo: Very reliable, fun and solid!
By awryexperiment

1999 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought this new loaded with all options. It is a great SUV overall! Acceleration is smooth and quick, handling is tight, suspension is firm but not rock hard. Body has NO RUST or corrosion after 10 years on salted NJ highways. Interior is comfortable and wearing very well! Great on gas and has had very low operating/maintenance costs.

Exterior style is classic, dual moonroofs let in lots of light, silver paint shows no dirt and cleans up like new!

None.