1999 Isuzu Amigo SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Amigo model:
Cute Car & Overall Good Quality
By bendyprissy on 05/25/12 11:38 AM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV

Bought used with 100K mi. Have put on 60K mi. Previous owner didn't take car of car at all but still has held up suprisingly well. Replaced timing belt to be safe & horn because it was barely heard. Only issue not caused by previous owner is metal section of roof between both sunroofs has enough of a rust spot to require fixing. No leaks anywhere, including both sunroofs which are removable - nice. My complaints: very little room inside (feels cramped) & difficult for people to get in/out of back seat; gas mileage from 18-21 mpg; & rough ride (not a sedan). Overall this is the cutest car I've ever owned & has never broken down, very high off ground, gets on/off beach easy w/o 4X4, & fun!

Exhausting
By Bansley on 06/21/10 15:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

The Amigo is a SUPER FUN car to drive when it's working correctly. The size is perfect. Cute, compact. Can crawl up some mean inclines. As a first car for a young driver it handled its share of curbs close calls. Unfortunately, an endless struggle with the transmission and less than favorable gas mileage has caused me to sell my beloved Amigo. Transmission was rebuilt in 2007 months after the purchase, and it's now acting up again. It gets around 16-17 mpg, which simply doesn't cut it for a struggling college student. The Amigo also suffers from poor visibility with the soft top and cracked windows from winter storms.

Great, Reliable Car
By Trucklet on 05/20/10 04:15 AM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

This is the second soft top Amigo that I own. My first one, a 1992 bare bones model, 4 cylinder, standard shift, plastic interior no A/C ($12,000), I had to sell, because I broke my hip and could not drive stick shift anymore. I hated to part with this one, because it was such a practical car. But I got another Amigo, a 1999 with all the bells and whistles, including automatic shift, running boards, AC, 6-speaker cassette, all electric, etc. This is the best car ever! Within those 11 years, I replaced brakes and the battery, that's all. This is the most maintenance-free car I've ever owned. Too bad Isuzu doesn't offer any SUVs or cars in the States anymore.

Goodbye Friend
By AmigoFan on 04/28/10 16:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Amigo SUV S 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

I've owned my Amigo for just over 10 wonderful years. I see that some people have had a bad experience but I cannot say the same. I bought it with 14 miles and put every one on since. It's been my best friend and gone with me all up and down the east coast without any major issues. I didn't chage the timimg belt when I should have but Isuzu replaced the engine when it broke some thousands of miles later. I only wish I could give it a proper burial. Goodbye, my friend, may your replacement garner the same place in my heart.

Amigo: Very reliable, fun and solid!
By awryexperiment on 11/30/09 10:30 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought this new loaded with all options. It is a great SUV overall! Acceleration is smooth and quick, handling is tight, suspension is firm but not rock hard. Body has NO RUST or corrosion after 10 years on salted NJ highways. Interior is comfortable and wearing very well! Great on gas and has had very low operating/maintenance costs.

The worst car you'll ever own.
By big dog Davidson on 03/17/09 15:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

I had this thing for 4 years, besides being ridiculously over priced, I had major engine problems with it right out of the box, my mileage was 9 city/13 hwy. Yeah I'm not kidding. They said the computer told them it was getting 23/26. The dealer never fixed the problem after 12-15 times in the shop. Sought legal action on this car. Very nearly flipped over on me 4-5 times, not stable at all! Just like a Jeep. The positives are in 4w/drive it's nearly unstoppable and the v6 makes loads of power. It looks better than a Jeep in my opinion, and the automatic tranny is quite good for a low end suv.

Amigo
By Ct on 01/29/09 17:10 PM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

The Amigo was not a good family car. It did not break down at all during the time we had it but if you have kids you are going to tire of letting them out of the back seat all the time.In conclusion the Amigo was a good car but before buying one consider more practical choices like the Ford Explorer Toyota Rav4 or the Land Rover Freelander.

Honolulu Jan's Amigo
By Janis Robinson on 01/29/09 16:16 PM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I have really enjoyed my Amigo. I bought it 4 yrs ago with about 70000 miles. Only in the last couple months have I had to invest in some repair. The exterior is awesome, not some military style... this is juicy. The back seat is useless. I have actually gotten stuck there a time or two. I had the privilege of working on my Amigo in the last few weeks. I had a gas leak, and helped to take off the intake manifold to access the gas line where it was leaking. The thermostat was located there too, making it challenging to replace, but interesting. The best thing is that it gets me up my driveway and back down again in any weather. Here in West Virginia the roads can be steep and challenging.

Works for me
By tekmo on 07/10/08 14:55 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I've had almost no problems with my Amigo. But I'm not hard on stuff, and I keep up on maintenance. It was between the Amigo and a Wrangler. Amigo won for 3 people in the back seat, and useful cargo area. The CD changer was intermittently problematic, but with the advent of iPods, ultimately unnecessary. In cold weather, the alarm system sometimes malfunctions. I disabled the audible alert. The only serious problem with that was when it was malfunctioning in an airport parking lot, and I came home to a dead battery. (Next time I pull the battery cables.) Have thoroughly enjoyed the car.

Unfortunate Mistake
By Josh on 06/21/08 10:59 AM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I bought this car for 5,000 with low mileage. It had all the features and some new parts that was avalaible to an Amigo. The check engine light and brake light went on shortly after I bought it. I took it back to the dealership and got both of those problems "fixed" under warranty. As the winter came many problems followed; the 3rd brake light broke, the gas gauge broke and was replaced for $600, and the soft top cracked because of the cold weather. The engine also had an "inner problem", said my mechanic, and was slowly going to die. Well the engine got much worse very quickly and completely died on turnpike. I would never buy an Isuzu! I only put 6,000 miles on the car and now its trash!