1999 Isuzu Amigo S w/Soft Top Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Isuzu Amigo - Consumer Reviews

1999 Amigo Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Amigo model:

Sort Reviews by

Cute Car & Overall Good Quality
By bendyprissy

1999 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV

Bought used with 100K mi. Have put on 60K mi. Previous owner didn't take car of car at all but still has held up suprisingly well. Replaced timing belt to be safe & horn because it was barely heard. Only issue not caused by previous owner is metal section of roof between both sunroofs has enough of a rust spot to require fixing. No leaks anywhere, including both sunroofs which are removable - nice. My complaints: very little room inside (feels cramped) & difficult for people to get in/out of back seat; gas mileage from 18-21 mpg; & rough ride (not a sedan). Overall this is the cutest car I've ever owned & has never broken down, very high off ground, gets on/off beach easy w/o 4X4, & fun!

Favorite Features

High ground clearance to go through those bigger puddles & to get around major accidents. Very stylish & cute! Have never got stuck anywhere including the beach & that's without the 4X4. Two flip-up or removable sunroofs is nice & fun - helps to circulate air throughout car since there are no opening back windows. Spare tire on back door is great for a woman who would have trouble getting it from underneath the SUV. Back door opens as one piece & has open-locking device so it won't shut on you. Back seat folds flat to give good amount of cargo space. Driver's side air conditioning vent at seat level, as well as floor, helps to cool. V6 engine has great power! Orange-red color is awesome!

Suggested Improvements

Removable hard top - though would be very heavy. Smoother ride as it is very bouncy. Easier way to get in/out of back seat - possibly those little doors that require the front door to open - like the FJ Cruiser. Louder horn. Sliding sunroof covers versus expensive snap-in plates that have a tendency to fall off & hurt head or suprise you while driving. Tint on sunroofs versus dotted applique. Power/winter mode buttons put on dash versus the center console directly in front of the cupholders.

Exhausting
By Bansley

1999 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

The Amigo is a SUPER FUN car to drive when it's working correctly. The size is perfect. Cute, compact. Can crawl up some mean inclines. As a first car for a young driver it handled its share of curbs close calls. Unfortunately, an endless struggle with the transmission and less than favorable gas mileage has caused me to sell my beloved Amigo. Transmission was rebuilt in 2007 months after the purchase, and it's now acting up again. It gets around 16-17 mpg, which simply doesn't cut it for a struggling college student. The Amigo also suffers from poor visibility with the soft top and cracked windows from winter storms.

Favorite Features

Accelerates like a beast, is a powerhouse. Great height for road visibility. Fun, sporty.

Suggested Improvements

Tougher soft top windows, less blind spots, improved transmission.

Great, Reliable Car
By Trucklet

1999 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

This is the second soft top Amigo that I own. My first one, a 1992 bare bones model, 4 cylinder, standard shift, plastic interior no A/C ($12,000), I had to sell, because I broke my hip and could not drive stick shift anymore. I hated to part with this one, because it was such a practical car. But I got another Amigo, a 1999 with all the bells and whistles, including automatic shift, running boards, AC, 6-speaker cassette, all electric, etc. This is the best car ever! Within those 11 years, I replaced brakes and the battery, that's all. This is the most maintenance-free car I've ever owned. Too bad Isuzu doesn't offer any SUVs or cars in the States anymore.

Favorite Features

Removable top, back zip-out window (when hauling long boards). Stand/fold- up back seats for great space in back, for hauling even more, bigger things, or for my dogs.

Suggested Improvements

More space to get into back seat. My fat dog has a hard time squeezing into the back. Larger ash tray with light to be able to see it at night. Work on blind spot on right rear - it's difficult getting back into the right lane. Very dangerous! A young, inexperienced driver might have an accident.

Goodbye Friend
By AmigoFan

1999 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

I've owned my Amigo for just over 10 wonderful years. I see that some people have had a bad experience but I cannot say the same. I bought it with 14 miles and put every one on since. It's been my best friend and gone with me all up and down the east coast without any major issues. I didn't chage the timimg belt when I should have but Isuzu replaced the engine when it broke some thousands of miles later. I only wish I could give it a proper burial. Goodbye, my friend, may your replacement garner the same place in my heart.

Favorite Features

Reliabiltiy, dependability and the ability to limp on and on through much neglect.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the Amigo!

Amigo: Very reliable, fun and solid!
By awryexperiment

1999 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought this new loaded with all options. It is a great SUV overall! Acceleration is smooth and quick, handling is tight, suspension is firm but not rock hard. Body has NO RUST or corrosion after 10 years on salted NJ highways. Interior is comfortable and wearing very well! Great on gas and has had very low operating/maintenance costs.

Favorite Features

Exterior style is classic, dual moonroofs let in lots of light, silver paint shows no dirt and cleans up like new!

Suggested Improvements

None.

The worst car you'll ever own.
By big dog Davidson

1999 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

I had this thing for 4 years, besides being ridiculously over priced, I had major engine problems with it right out of the box, my mileage was 9 city/13 hwy. Yeah I'm not kidding. They said the computer told them it was getting 23/26. The dealer never fixed the problem after 12-15 times in the shop. Sought legal action on this car. Very nearly flipped over on me 4-5 times, not stable at all! Just like a Jeep. The positives are in 4w/drive it's nearly unstoppable and the v6 makes loads of power. It looks better than a Jeep in my opinion, and the automatic tranny is quite good for a low end suv.

Favorite Features

Soft top is fun, and lots of horsepower.

Suggested Improvements

Everything, needs be steered clear of by all those who would buy.

Amigo
By Ct

1999 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

The Amigo was not a good family car. It did not break down at all during the time we had it but if you have kids you are going to tire of letting them out of the back seat all the time.In conclusion the Amigo was a good car but before buying one consider more practical choices like the Ford Explorer Toyota Rav4 or the Land Rover Freelander.

Favorite Features

Soft top, big offroad tires.

Suggested Improvements

Soft top leaks in the back seat when it rains. Two doors makes it tough for rear seat passengers to access the back seats. There is no back windshield wiper so you have to have some other way to clear it so you can see backing up.

Honolulu Jan's Amigo
By Janis Robinson

1999 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I have really enjoyed my Amigo. I bought it 4 yrs ago with about 70000 miles. Only in the last couple months have I had to invest in some repair. The exterior is awesome, not some military style... this is juicy. The back seat is useless. I have actually gotten stuck there a time or two. I had the privilege of working on my Amigo in the last few weeks. I had a gas leak, and helped to take off the intake manifold to access the gas line where it was leaking. The thermostat was located there too, making it challenging to replace, but interesting. The best thing is that it gets me up my driveway and back down again in any weather. Here in West Virginia the roads can be steep and challenging.

Favorite Features

Exterior appeal. Dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Do away with the rear sunroof and make the rear access more user friendly. Upgrade the CD player. Hard to keep functioning.

Works for me
By tekmo

1999 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I've had almost no problems with my Amigo. But I'm not hard on stuff, and I keep up on maintenance. It was between the Amigo and a Wrangler. Amigo won for 3 people in the back seat, and useful cargo area. The CD changer was intermittently problematic, but with the advent of iPods, ultimately unnecessary. In cold weather, the alarm system sometimes malfunctions. I disabled the audible alert. The only serious problem with that was when it was malfunctioning in an airport parking lot, and I came home to a dead battery. (Next time I pull the battery cables.) Have thoroughly enjoyed the car.

Favorite Features

Excellent in the snow, fun in the sun. Perfect size. Decent mileage. Looks cool. Unique.

Suggested Improvements

The upholstery is ugly, and the part that would fix my alarm is ridiculously expensive. It's hard to get in the back seat. One of those "mini-doors" would have remedied that.

Unfortunate Mistake
By Josh

1999 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I bought this car for 5,000 with low mileage. It had all the features and some new parts that was avalaible to an Amigo. The check engine light and brake light went on shortly after I bought it. I took it back to the dealership and got both of those problems "fixed" under warranty. As the winter came many problems followed; the 3rd brake light broke, the gas gauge broke and was replaced for $600, and the soft top cracked because of the cold weather. The engine also had an "inner problem", said my mechanic, and was slowly going to die. Well the engine got much worse very quickly and completely died on turnpike. I would never buy an Isuzu! I only put 6,000 miles on the car and now its trash!

Favorite Features

Replaced soft top. Good horsepower. Tires.

Suggested Improvements

Engine reliability. Gas mileage. Plastic interior/exterior parts. A/C. Clutch. Front & rear shocks. BRAKES. -4WD.