1998 Isuzu Amigo Consumer Review: Was the most fun I have ever h

1998 Isuzu Amigo - Consumer Review

S 2dr SUV (2.2L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

Was the most fun I have ever had driving
By My former friend on

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV 4WD

First off, I loved my amigo. Even through having to replace the starter once, alternator 3 times (kept getting bad rebuilt parts), and a bad piston ruining the engine at 136,000 miles. It was the most fun I have ever had driving, and I have had 14 cars and 2 motorcycles. It was a tank, and with the gray bumpers and the spare tire on the back I avoided any visible bumps from other cars and such. The 4 cyl sucks gas like a hummer, but is very very secure. You never feel like you are losing control. I am trying to find another amigo to buy, because I miss my old one. It just costs more to replace an engine than to buy another vehicle.

I loved the 4wd for the winter, and the sunroof and convertible rear roof for the other seasons. The 5 speed was always fun, and never a hassle. It sounds great when revved. You do not see these on the roads, so you feel special when you are in one.

Reliability- an engine should not kill itself under 200K miles. Also it is a hassle to find parts, especially alternators for this vehicle. also hard to find parts for the 4 cyl engine, because all the old engines have been used ready as replacements. MPG is a joke, 16 mpg in 2wd in summer with no a/c