1998 Isuzu Amigo Consumer Review: Love my Amigo

1998 Isuzu Amigo - Consumer Review

Love my Amigo
By TiGuy V on

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought 13 Nov 1998. Today is 23 Sep 2008. Someone asked to buy, but I refused. Total mileage is now over 115K. Yokohama tires reduced the small vibration from the Good Year tires. In 2004, I had the clutch rebuilt for $1000. In spring 2007, the geardrive oddly out of oil got noisy, and Ford-WPB fixed for $1500. Then, the engine overheated at idle; for $600, Ford changed the oxygen sensor, and diagnostics tests for loss of power and A/C not cooling. I declined the $1500 A/C work; Tires-Plus reconnected the radiator return hose in the overflow, for the $20 check test; They recharged the A/C which is now fine! Soft top needs refreshed, no longer in overnight garage since 2003.

It is fun to drive and sturdy. This body style cannot be found anywhere. The oversized 17” wheels mean I am not worried about flooded streets. I am 6’2” tall, and have plenty of leg and head room. Isuzu replaced the engine, free of charge, when the timing belt broke in September 2002.

I want to convert the engine to electric or hybrid, need more power and better fuel efficiency. The zipped soft top is a thief magnet, so I wish for a foldable or removable hard top. I put in a radio/CD-MP3. Use max shade instead of noisy sun block piece on the roof glass.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review