1998 Isuzu Amigo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Amigo model:
Summer and winter fun
By scooter49442 on 06/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Amigo in June of 98. Since then, the only major problem was the timing belt breaking, ruining the little 4 cylinder. This was at 65,000 miles. Guess what? Isuzu replace it for FREE due to a tensioner recall. The only other issue is the radio volume button is stripped or something. Other than that, it's been a fun summer drop top and a great winter vehicle with the 4X4. The 5 speed works great witht he little engine. Just row through the gears and have a blast in the sand and snow.

'98 Amigo
By Amigo on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV 4WD

Best value in its class. More visibility than the RAV or Honda's model. Very fun to drive and does well in the snow!

The Amigo is NO friend of Mine
By ETDragons on 03/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I have a 1998 Amigo with 50k miles. From a truck that is supposed to be fun and enjoyable, It has given me nothing but grief. I only wish there was a word more powerful than horrendous to describe Isuzu's customer service and they way they treat their "Valued" customers. Quick rundown, transmission went on me exactly 2 months after the 5 yr wrnty expired, no help from isuzu, Check engine light on since 30k miles, pass window wont roll down, ac went, radio broke, suspension squeaks, rear seat broke, bumper cracked, intake gasket went, o2 sensors went, catalytic converters went. All I can say is the Amigo, is no friend of mine. Nor is Isuzu.

Isuzu Amigo what a fun ride
By Jonnnn on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

Absolutely a blast of a convertible SUV to drive. More room than a Jeep and very sturdy contruction.

'98 Isuzu Amigo
By scd1 on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

This vehicle has been bulletproof to 55,000 miles.No major mech prob,int/ext body hardware is holding up well.Plastic windows getting worn.Only work done other than Isuzu recalls and service bulletins was: new batt,frnt brake pads @ 50K mi, and tires @ 55K.Under warr the windsheild washer pump and radio were rpl.The dealer I purchased the vehicle from,Pitre Isuzu in Scottsdale was and still is horrible.I have been completely satisfied with Chapman Isuzu in Tempe since then.The ride qual is what you should expect from a short wheelbase utility vehicle.Performance from the 4-cyl is adequate until the a/c is turned on,then pretty tepid.

Burns Oil worse than any car I've owned
By desono on 04/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

While I bought this car because it was one of the few convertible SUV's, I should have waited to see what the long term problems would be. The worst problem is that it burns a quart of oil every thousand miles. That's 3 quarts between oil Changes! If you forget to check the oil between oil changes (and who does) you can be nearly out of oil. Worse yet, the dealer claims this is NORMAL! I've owned 10 other cars over the years from VW's to Oldsmobiles, BMW's, Hondas and others and NONE blew out oil like this car, except my 1975 rabbit that the dealer finally rebuilt the engine on since it was an engineering defect (soft valve guides).

Never been happy
By roxanne on 04/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

Purchased in '98, very happy with the price and the dealership. I loved my Amigo at first, however, the problems started about 6 weeks after I purchased it. The starter and ignition have been replaced so many times that I cant remember. Constant humming noise, and misc. parts have been unresolved since I drove off the lot with only 3 miles. The starting problem has never been fixed correctly although I have brought it to 4 different Isuzu Dealerships. Overall, I loved the look of the vehicle but I don't like the headaches caused by being stranded too many times

Amigo
By jballer on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

This has been a great SUV to date. The timing belt snapped at 56,000 miles, but that was due to the adjuster. Isuzu replaced the engine for free, so can't complain there. Looking forward to driving this truck for many years to come. Great all weather handling; recently got to test it out driving through 2ft of snow, handled like a charm.

The Story of Ryan's Amigo Adventures
By Ryan Wilson on 12/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV 4WD

The interior is layed out very well, as it basic, yet flawless. There is room for 6 soda cans and plenty of storage space. The glove box is generous in size. The seats are very comfortable, the pedals are sufficient in size. The exterior is very nice. The drivetrain is excellent. I purchased this amigo with a 130HP I-4 GM-made 2.2L DOHC engine that is suffuicient in rural Iowa. It is a little slow in large city traffic, such as Dallas or Minneapolis, however, it is a stick and that gives the driver enough control that an I-4 is sufficient in this vehicle. Great off-road with its full underbody skit plates. Great SUV

Be ready for repairs
By Fatness on 11/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

In 90,000 miles I've rebuilt the transmission(2 times), and replaced the clutch(4 times), the catlytic converter, and the entire engine. Also, small interior parts, like the seat levers, sunshade brackets, the accelerator pedal, and little peices I find under the seat but can't figure what they go to, fall off constantly.