Used 1998 Isuzu Amigo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Isuzu Amigo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Amigo model:

Best Car to Date
By cathy Bailey

1998 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

At 185,000 miles This car has given me no problems. Just now it is in need of the basics. Battery (just changed the original), brakes, couple of fuses. I love this vehicle. If Isuzu was to make them again I would purchase again. Knock on wood it will last another 185,000 mile.

Look!

Solid window in convertible top

Not Bad for the Buck
By Sean

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

The Amigo is a pretty fun car to drive as far as simplicity and tightness. The 4 cylinder lacks some power, but can take off when necessary. I have the most basic model, but I like how it's readily made for the V6 and 4WD, but the hard suspension made for this type is a little too hard for a smooth ride. I don't like how the engine taps loudly when it's cold, over 2000 rpms sound horrible at cold, but sounds fine after heating up. The weathering from typical New England cause the soft top to harden and very difficult to use. The 2WD model is bad in the snow and slides very easily (except I like to slide, its fun). Overall, it's fun to start with, but a little embarrasing for school.

Tight handling. 4.88 rearend for quick takeoff. Soft top good in summer. Decent gas mileage.

More comfortable seats. Softer suspension. Stronger clutch.

Got my money's worth
By James

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

Paid only $13,300 new for basic version of this SUV; 4 cylinder 5 speed. Clutch went early at only 29K miles and that with mostly freeway driving after rush hour. I spilled oil on engine and due to design soaked plugs. Overall though been good vehicle and inexpensive to maintain.

Original brakes still good and got almost 50,000 on original tires. Handles well and good air conditioning (live in Phoenix).

Fold down top to difficult to deal with because of zip out side windows and the support bar blocks you from being able to slide large objects into car from rear door.

broken 98 Amigo
By Mike

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV 4WD

I really, really want to like this vehicle, but I am so upset at my dealer for the nagging little warranty issues that have plagued my Isuzu since we took delivery of it in 2002. Namely the transfer case won't stay in 4wd. I can't keep a set of front tires on it to save my life, little plastic interior parts love to fall off (i just gave up on this), the water pump gave up at 41000 miles, the timing belt tensioner, around the same time. Oh yes, and did I mention that Isuzu changed the name to Rodeo Sport? That just knocked about 3000 bucks off my trade-in, or it would have been gone long ago. The only thing I like is the body style. It's getting a vortec 350/auto trans this winter...

my favorite features are the body style, and the feel of the brakes.

Make a soft top that you can actually take off in the summer if one wants to. If I wanted a WV cabrio, I would have bought one. Needs more legroom for driver and passenger, like maybe 2"?

Pass on the Amigo!
By wuggles13

1998 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

Inferior dealer service and poor Isuzu warranty! After 8 months the red paint started to fade bad, dealer would not correct. At 20K engine had bad intake leak, continuous stalling any the alarm was now going off when ever it wanted. Switch for heated mirrors was also replaced 3x. At 30K, 4wd would not engage when it was cold out(when you need it most), dealer couldn't fix. Over-acting ABS, no good in the rain. At 50K I had to have it repainted, out of my pocket because the truck was now pink! At 60K the engine developed a major oil leak. Will never buy a Isuzu/GM product again...

Nice to be able to drop the top in the summer and blast through the snow in the winter. The V6 has decent power for such a small truck.

Better warranty, and more knowledgeable mechanics working on these trucks. More clutch feedback. Also, fix the annoying banging of the soft top when you go over large bumps. And just plain build them better, losing GM would be a start...