1998 Isuzu Amigo SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Amigo model:
I luv my Amigo
By ray1939 on 04/04/12 07:57 AM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I've had a 1998 Amigo for a few years; my daughter drove it to college. Never a moments trouble. At 265,000 miles, I had a re-manufactured engine installed along with it's first clutch replacement. Yes, Amigo likes a taste of oil; about a quart every 3500 miles. The front end is tight; the body has no rattles. also replaced the shocke; 3rd set. All-in-all, I luv my 1998 Amgo, I hope it goes another 265,000 miles.

Best Unit beyond a Jeep
By Philscbx on 07/23/08 16:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I plow snow for a living, so I need to be out in the worst of it at any moment. This guy cares less what the weather is, it just plows through deep sloppy snow where others are still at the light wondering what just flew by them. I would not trade for anything less. My soft top never rattles at 90 mph. The V6 5 speed will out run anything on the road with comparable V6 in this class. I also have the GMC Sonoma 4x4, and I get better mileage and pulling power for the snowmobile trailer enclosed with the Amigo. The Amigo can easily out run the 4.3 of the GMC.

Say hello to my little Amigo
By Krazy Kid on 03/06/08 15:31 PM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I have had my '98 amigo for about a year, and I have had an absolutely great time driving it. I have driven it through deep mud and snow and the only way to get it stuck is to bury it up to the axles. I am 18, and this car handles young driver abuse very well. Parts can be pretty cheap if bought online, but the SUV is so compact it makes it hard to work on. It does burn about a quart every 1000 miles or so, but it has superior gas milage to any other SUV of its class. All this means is you might have to check your oil more often and the gas savings more than cover the oil cost. It is very easy to install a new radio and speakers by yourself. The soft top is very cool, and girls love the car.

Best Car to Date
By cathy Bailey on 01/23/08 10:05 AM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

At 185,000 miles This car has given me no problems. Just now it is in need of the basics. Battery (just changed the original), brakes, couple of fuses. I love this vehicle. If Isuzu was to make them again I would purchase again. Knock on wood it will last another 185,000 mile.

Pass on the Amigo!
By wuggles13 on 11/12/04 19:48 PM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

Inferior dealer service and poor Isuzu warranty! After 8 months the red paint started to fade bad, dealer would not correct. At 20K engine had bad intake leak, continuous stalling any the alarm was now going off when ever it wanted. Switch for heated mirrors was also replaced 3x. At 30K, 4wd would not engage when it was cold out(when you need it most), dealer couldn't fix. Over-acting ABS, no good in the rain. At 50K I had to have it repainted, out of my pocket because the truck was now pink! At 60K the engine developed a major oil leak. Will never buy a Isuzu/GM product again...

The Amigo is NO friend of Mine
By ETDragons on 03/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I have a 1998 Amigo with 50k miles. From a truck that is supposed to be fun and enjoyable, It has given me nothing but grief. I only wish there was a word more powerful than horrendous to describe Isuzu's customer service and they way they treat their "Valued" customers. Quick rundown, transmission went on me exactly 2 months after the 5 yr wrnty expired, no help from isuzu, Check engine light on since 30k miles, pass window wont roll down, ac went, radio broke, suspension squeaks, rear seat broke, bumper cracked, intake gasket went, o2 sensors went, catalytic converters went. All I can say is the Amigo, is no friend of mine. Nor is Isuzu.

Isuzu Amigo what a fun ride
By Jonnnn on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

Absolutely a blast of a convertible SUV to drive. More room than a Jeep and very sturdy contruction.

Burns Oil worse than any car I've owned
By desono on 04/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo SUV S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

While I bought this car because it was one of the few convertible SUV's, I should have waited to see what the long term problems would be. The worst problem is that it burns a quart of oil every thousand miles. That's 3 quarts between oil Changes! If you forget to check the oil between oil changes (and who does) you can be nearly out of oil. Worse yet, the dealer claims this is NORMAL! I've owned 10 other cars over the years from VW's to Oldsmobiles, BMW's, Hondas and others and NONE blew out oil like this car, except my 1975 rabbit that the dealer finally rebuilt the engine on since it was an engineering defect (soft valve guides).