Used 1998 Isuzu Amigo S w/Soft Top Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Isuzu Amigo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Amigo model:

I luv my Amigo
By ray1939

1998 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I've had a 1998 Amigo for a few years; my daughter drove it to college. Never a moments trouble. At 265,000 miles, I had a re-manufactured engine installed along with it's first clutch replacement. Yes, Amigo likes a taste of oil; about a quart every 3500 miles. The front end is tight; the body has no rattles. also replaced the shocke; 3rd set. All-in-all, I luv my 1998 Amgo, I hope it goes another 265,000 miles.

Favorite Features

My Amigo would climb a tree, if it could get a grip. Great milage and a very decent performer on the thruways,

Suggested Improvements

Unfortunately, the Amigo is no longer made. Too bad.

Best Unit beyond a Jeep
By Philscbx

1998 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I plow snow for a living, so I need to be out in the worst of it at any moment. This guy cares less what the weather is, it just plows through deep sloppy snow where others are still at the light wondering what just flew by them. I would not trade for anything less. My soft top never rattles at 90 mph. The V6 5 speed will out run anything on the road with comparable V6 in this class. I also have the GMC Sonoma 4x4, and I get better mileage and pulling power for the snowmobile trailer enclosed with the Amigo. The Amigo can easily out run the 4.3 of the GMC.

Favorite Features

Obviously the 4x4 and being able to run in the deep snow right around the other 4x4s stuck in my way. This is a high performance machine with the 4 valve dual over head cams.

Suggested Improvements

My AC went out just last fall, but that's the nature of the valve in the heater box that is hard to get to to replace the expansion valve. They could of made this access at the firewall. Isuzu's V6 will always outperform a larger pushrod motor. That's old 1950's class.

Say hello to my little Amigo
By Krazy Kid

1998 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I have had my '98 amigo for about a year, and I have had an absolutely great time driving it. I have driven it through deep mud and snow and the only way to get it stuck is to bury it up to the axles. I am 18, and this car handles young driver abuse very well. Parts can be pretty cheap if bought online, but the SUV is so compact it makes it hard to work on. It does burn about a quart every 1000 miles or so, but it has superior gas milage to any other SUV of its class. All this means is you might have to check your oil more often and the gas savings more than cover the oil cost. It is very easy to install a new radio and speakers by yourself. The soft top is very cool, and girls love the car.

Favorite Features

Sun roof, push button 4 wheel drive (as long as I'm going 55mph or less, all I have to do is push a button to kick in 4x4), 3.2 liter engine, convertable top, great towing ability, great styling, ABS breaks (great on icy roads).

Suggested Improvements

Less oil use, easier oil filter access for do-it-yourselfers, make receiver hitch standard.

Best Car to Date
By cathy Bailey

1998 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

At 185,000 miles This car has given me no problems. Just now it is in need of the basics. Battery (just changed the original), brakes, couple of fuses. I love this vehicle. If Isuzu was to make them again I would purchase again. Knock on wood it will last another 185,000 mile.

Favorite Features

Look!

Suggested Improvements

Solid window in convertible top

Pass on the Amigo!
By wuggles13

1998 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

Inferior dealer service and poor Isuzu warranty! After 8 months the red paint started to fade bad, dealer would not correct. At 20K engine had bad intake leak, continuous stalling any the alarm was now going off when ever it wanted. Switch for heated mirrors was also replaced 3x. At 30K, 4wd would not engage when it was cold out(when you need it most), dealer couldn't fix. Over-acting ABS, no good in the rain. At 50K I had to have it repainted, out of my pocket because the truck was now pink! At 60K the engine developed a major oil leak. Will never buy a Isuzu/GM product again...

Favorite Features

Nice to be able to drop the top in the summer and blast through the snow in the winter. The V6 has decent power for such a small truck.

Suggested Improvements

Better warranty, and more knowledgeable mechanics working on these trucks. More clutch feedback. Also, fix the annoying banging of the soft top when you go over large bumps. And just plain build them better, losing GM would be a start...