Used 1998 Isuzu Amigo Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Isuzu Amigo - Consumer Reviews

1998 Isuzu Amigo

View reviews for a specific Amigo model:

I luv my Amigo
By ray1939

1998 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I've had a 1998 Amigo for a few years; my daughter drove it to college. Never a moments trouble. At 265,000 miles, I had a re-manufactured engine installed along with it's first clutch replacement. Yes, Amigo likes a taste of oil; about a quart every 3500 miles.

The front end is tight; the body has no rattles. also replaced the shocke; 3rd set. All-in-all, I luv my 1998 Amgo, I hope it goes another 265,000 miles.

My Amigo would climb a tree, if it could get a grip. Great milage and a very decent performer on the thruways,

Unfortunately, the Amigo is no longer made. Too bad.

Was the most fun I have ever had driving
By My former friend

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV 4WD

First off, I loved my amigo. Even through having to replace the starter once, alternator 3 times (kept getting bad rebuilt parts), and a bad piston ruining the engine at 136,000 miles. It was the most fun I have ever had driving, and I have had 14 cars and 2 motorcycles. It was a tank, and with the gray bumpers and the spare tire on the back I avoided any visible bumps from other cars and such. The 4 cyl sucks gas like a hummer, but is very very secure. You never feel like you are losing control. I am trying to find another amigo to buy, because I miss my old one. It just costs more to replace an engine than to buy another vehicle.

I loved the 4wd for the winter, and the sunroof and convertible rear roof for the other seasons. The 5 speed was always fun, and never a hassle. It sounds great when revved. You do not see these on the roads, so you feel special when you are in one.

Reliability- an engine should not kill itself under 200K miles. Also it is a hassle to find parts, especially alternators for this vehicle. also hard to find parts for the 4 cyl engine, because all the old engines have been used ready as replacements. MPG is a joke, 16 mpg in 2wd in summer with no a/c

Love my Amigo
By TiGuy V

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought 13 Nov 1998. Today is 23 Sep 2008. Someone asked to buy, but I refused. Total mileage is now over 115K. Yokohama tires reduced the small vibration from the Good Year tires. In 2004, I had the clutch rebuilt for $1000. In spring 2007, the geardrive oddly out of oil got noisy, and Ford-WPB fixed for $1500. Then, the engine overheated at idle; for $600, Ford changed the oxygen sensor, and diagnostics tests for loss of power and A/C not cooling. I declined the $1500 A/C work; Tires-Plus reconnected the radiator return hose in the overflow, for the $20 check test; They recharged the A/C which is now fine! Soft top needs refreshed, no longer in overnight garage since 2003.

It is fun to drive and sturdy. This body style cannot be found anywhere. The oversized 17” wheels mean I am not worried about flooded streets. I am 6’2” tall, and have plenty of leg and head room. Isuzu replaced the engine, free of charge, when the timing belt broke in September 2002.

I want to convert the engine to electric or hybrid, need more power and better fuel efficiency. The zipped soft top is a thief magnet, so I wish for a foldable or removable hard top. I put in a radio/CD-MP3. Use max shade instead of noisy sun block piece on the roof glass.

Best Unit beyond a Jeep
By Philscbx

1998 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I plow snow for a living, so I need to be out in the worst of it at any moment. This guy cares less what the weather is, it just plows through deep sloppy snow where others are still at the light wondering what just flew by them. I would not trade for anything less. My soft top never rattles at 90 mph. The V6 5 speed will out run anything on the road with comparable V6 in this class. I also have the GMC Sonoma 4x4, and I get better mileage and pulling power for the snowmobile trailer enclosed with the Amigo. The Amigo can easily out run the 4.3 of the GMC.

Obviously the 4x4 and being able to run in the deep snow right around the other 4x4s stuck in my way. This is a high performance machine with the 4 valve dual over head cams.

My AC went out just last fall, but that's the nature of the valve in the heater box that is hard to get to to replace the expansion valve. They could of made this access at the firewall. Isuzu's V6 will always outperform a larger pushrod motor. That's old 1950's class.

Say hello to my little Amigo
By Krazy Kid

1998 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I have had my '98 amigo for about a year, and I have had an absolutely great time driving it. I have driven it through deep mud and snow and the only way to get it stuck is to bury it up to the axles. I am 18, and this car handles young driver abuse very well. Parts can be pretty cheap if bought online, but the SUV is so compact it makes it hard to work on. It does burn about a quart every 1000 miles or so, but it has superior gas milage to any other SUV of its class. All this means is you might have to check your oil more often and the gas savings more than cover the oil cost. It is very easy to install a new radio and speakers by yourself. The soft top is very cool, and girls love the car.

Sun roof, push button 4 wheel drive (as long as I'm going 55mph or less, all I have to do is push a button to kick in 4x4), 3.2 liter engine, convertable top, great towing ability, great styling, ABS breaks (great on icy roads).

Less oil use, easier oil filter access for do-it-yourselfers, make receiver hitch standard.