1998 Isuzu Amigo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Amigo model:
I luv my Amigo
By ray1939 on 04/04/12 07:57 AM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I've had a 1998 Amigo for a few years; my daughter drove it to college. Never a moments trouble. At 265,000 miles, I had a re-manufactured engine installed along with it's first clutch replacement. Yes, Amigo likes a taste of oil; about a quart every 3500 miles. The front end is tight; the body has no rattles. also replaced the shocke; 3rd set. All-in-all, I luv my 1998 Amgo, I hope it goes another 265,000 miles.

Was the most fun I have ever had driving
By My former friend on 07/25/10 17:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV 4WD

First off, I loved my amigo. Even through having to replace the starter once, alternator 3 times (kept getting bad rebuilt parts), and a bad piston ruining the engine at 136,000 miles. It was the most fun I have ever had driving, and I have had 14 cars and 2 motorcycles. It was a tank, and with the gray bumpers and the spare tire on the back I avoided any visible bumps from other cars and such. The 4 cyl sucks gas like a hummer, but is very very secure. You never feel like you are losing control. I am trying to find another amigo to buy, because I miss my old one. It just costs more to replace an engine than to buy another vehicle.

Love my Amigo
By TiGuy V on 09/23/08 00:40 AM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought 13 Nov 1998. Today is 23 Sep 2008. Someone asked to buy, but I refused. Total mileage is now over 115K. Yokohama tires reduced the small vibration from the Good Year tires. In 2004, I had the clutch rebuilt for $1000. In spring 2007, the geardrive oddly out of oil got noisy, and Ford-WPB fixed for $1500. Then, the engine overheated at idle; for $600, Ford changed the oxygen sensor, and diagnostics tests for loss of power and A/C not cooling. I declined the $1500 A/C work; Tires-Plus reconnected the radiator return hose in the overflow, for the $20 check test; They recharged the A/C which is now fine! Soft top needs refreshed, no longer in overnight garage since 2003.

Best Unit beyond a Jeep
By Philscbx on 07/23/08 16:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I plow snow for a living, so I need to be out in the worst of it at any moment. This guy cares less what the weather is, it just plows through deep sloppy snow where others are still at the light wondering what just flew by them. I would not trade for anything less. My soft top never rattles at 90 mph. The V6 5 speed will out run anything on the road with comparable V6 in this class. I also have the GMC Sonoma 4x4, and I get better mileage and pulling power for the snowmobile trailer enclosed with the Amigo. The Amigo can easily out run the 4.3 of the GMC.

Say hello to my little Amigo
By Krazy Kid on 03/06/08 15:31 PM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I have had my '98 amigo for about a year, and I have had an absolutely great time driving it. I have driven it through deep mud and snow and the only way to get it stuck is to bury it up to the axles. I am 18, and this car handles young driver abuse very well. Parts can be pretty cheap if bought online, but the SUV is so compact it makes it hard to work on. It does burn about a quart every 1000 miles or so, but it has superior gas milage to any other SUV of its class. All this means is you might have to check your oil more often and the gas savings more than cover the oil cost. It is very easy to install a new radio and speakers by yourself. The soft top is very cool, and girls love the car.

Best Car to Date
By cathy Bailey on 01/23/08 10:05 AM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

At 185,000 miles This car has given me no problems. Just now it is in need of the basics. Battery (just changed the original), brakes, couple of fuses. I love this vehicle. If Isuzu was to make them again I would purchase again. Knock on wood it will last another 185,000 mile.

Not Bad for the Buck
By Sean on 12/10/07 10:40 AM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

The Amigo is a pretty fun car to drive as far as simplicity and tightness. The 4 cylinder lacks some power, but can take off when necessary. I have the most basic model, but I like how it's readily made for the V6 and 4WD, but the hard suspension made for this type is a little too hard for a smooth ride. I don't like how the engine taps loudly when it's cold, over 2000 rpms sound horrible at cold, but sounds fine after heating up. The weathering from typical New England cause the soft top to harden and very difficult to use. The 2WD model is bad in the snow and slides very easily (except I like to slide, its fun). Overall, it's fun to start with, but a little embarrasing for school.

Got my money's worth
By James on 05/22/05 02:34 AM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

Paid only $13,300 new for basic version of this SUV; 4 cylinder 5 speed. Clutch went early at only 29K miles and that with mostly freeway driving after rush hour. I spilled oil on engine and due to design soaked plugs. Overall though been good vehicle and inexpensive to maintain.

broken 98 Amigo
By Mike on 01/23/05 16:55 PM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S 2dr SUV 4WD

I really, really want to like this vehicle, but I am so upset at my dealer for the nagging little warranty issues that have plagued my Isuzu since we took delivery of it in 2002. Namely the transfer case won't stay in 4wd. I can't keep a set of front tires on it to save my life, little plastic interior parts love to fall off (i just gave up on this), the water pump gave up at 41000 miles, the timing belt tensioner, around the same time. Oh yes, and did I mention that Isuzu changed the name to Rodeo Sport? That just knocked about 3000 bucks off my trade-in, or it would have been gone long ago. The only thing I like is the body style. It's getting a vortec 350/auto trans this winter...

Pass on the Amigo!
By wuggles13 on 11/12/04 19:48 PM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Amigo S V6 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

Inferior dealer service and poor Isuzu warranty! After 8 months the red paint started to fade bad, dealer would not correct. At 20K engine had bad intake leak, continuous stalling any the alarm was now going off when ever it wanted. Switch for heated mirrors was also replaced 3x. At 30K, 4wd would not engage when it was cold out(when you need it most), dealer couldn't fix. Over-acting ABS, no good in the rain. At 50K I had to have it repainted, out of my pocket because the truck was now pink! At 60K the engine developed a major oil leak. Will never buy a Isuzu/GM product again...