Gas mileage not as advertised
By mongolikecandy on
2014 Infiniti QX60 Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl S/C gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I bought the hybrid after calculating that it would be a 3 year payback for us based on the improved mileage. lo and behold, i am actually getting WORSE MILEAGE than the gas version! my wife is getting 17 in the city and 19 on the highway. what a load of BS. I'm having the dealer take a look at it and will update my review when i know more.
Suggested Improvements
if you pay extra for a hybrid, your mileage should improve, not decrease. I'm smelling a class action lawsuit
By njdriver36
on 01/27/14 11:45 AM (PST)

I have the same problem with my new QX60 Hybrid. The service guy told me that the Hybrid engine does not work when either the AC or heater is on. That's just about 99% of the time that I will be driving. Total nonsense. I paid an extra $3,000 to get the same gas mileage that the gas only version gets. There was absolutely NO nondisclosure from my salesman about the "unique" way this hybrid engine works, or more accurately does not work! No one would ever pay the extra $3,000 if they new the truth. What a total sham by Infiniti. They should be ashamed.

By mongolikecandy
on 02/17/14 07:48 AM (PST)

UPDATE: i took teh car to the dealer, they couldn't find anything wrong with it. they suggested we drive it for a few thousand miles and see if it improves...nothing so far, we've had the car for 2 months and 2000 miles, still getting 17 mpg

By debasser
on 02/19/14 06:42 AM (PST)

We are having the same issues with the hybrid QX60 model we purchased. Actually we've had several problems: - 2 weeks after owning it we had the check engine light come on. The dealership found that it was due to air in the cooling lines for the battery. The hybrid system was shutting off to protect itself from overheating. -Our "distance to empty" number flies around all over the place. Just the other day it said "120 to Empty" then while in the middle of driving instantly dropped to "50 miles to Empty". I am trying to determine patterns but it looks like it happens at 1/4 tank left when things go REALLY funky with the mileage and distance. -Mileage is awful and nowhere close to as advertised. I have 1500 miles into the car and just filled up yesterday at 18 MPG. I have been driving in "Eco" mode since I left the dealership. If I go any slower getting up to speed from a stop, I might have to get out and push it for some additional acceleration. I am trying to determine exactly how Infiniti came up with these MPG numbers but even with my conservative driving efforts I'm coming FAR short. I am very displeased so far with this vehicle. I have a case open with Infiniti Consumer Affairs but they just came back and told me I will have to keep bringing the vehicle in with these complaints before they do anything. This is horrible customer service. I am a longtime Infiniti customer, this will be my last Infiniti vehicle. EVER.

By qxcouldbbetter
on 02/24/14 03:21 AM (PST)

I am seeing the same exact behavior. More over, the city driving with promised 25 is a pipedream. I'm topping out around 14mpg which often drops as low as 12 and 9.

By qx60_scam
on 07/15/14 15:15 PM (PDT)

We've had our QX60 hybrid 3-4 months now. Our dealer also told us our engine needed to be "broken in". We are at 5500+ miles now and still getting 15-16 MPG city. We've also had the erratic fuel gauge behavior. We went on vacation for a week and came back to a dead battery. (nothing was left on or plugged in, as verified by roadside assistance.) As many others have mentioned, if you use the A/C at all, the engine will almost never turn off. Which is compounded by bugs in the hybrid system. I frequently notice things like it not charging the hybrid battery when we're stopped and the engine is running. Either shut off the engine or charge the battery... Very disappointing overall, and no word of fixes from Infiniti.