Used 2001 Infiniti QX4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific QX4 model:

Simply admirable.
By jubal82

2001 Infiniti QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Pros: The reliability of Infiniti. (engine/transmission never let you down) The classic design. (never get tired of the look) The quiet city cruiser. (car-like luxury-smoothness) The able muscle on demand. (whenever necessary @240hp) The attractive interior. (quality leather all around) The choice engineering. (switchable Auto-2wd-4H-4L system) The convenient features. (4 seat heaters/2 auto seat adjustment) Cons: The gas guzzler. (15-17mpg) The tiny legroom in the back. (not easy to get in/out as well) The rust issues underneath/fender areas. (questionable building quality?) I live in a rural area where it's 60%highway and 40% off-road driving.

2001 QX4 in Canada - still going strong 2013
By ay9i

2001 Infiniti QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

170,000 kms and the only repairs have been engine coils at 150,000 ($900.) emissions sensor (2 @ $150 each) and air mass sensor ($300). The machine is excellent to drive in all conditions. The 4x4 system works very competently in snow and mud. The vehicle is well appointed, powerful, quiet and smooth. Extremely reliable. Poor fuel economy & premium fuel Cramped back seat (legroom) Poor rust resistance ***** Anyone considering one MUST insist a shop remove the plastic covers over (esp. rear) wheels. EASY. A perfect looking vehicle can have BAD rust issues behind these Must spray inner front fenders and under front of hood. These areas rust from behind & will ruin vehicle

Favorite Features

We have had this machine 12 years. A very "car -like" ride with capable handling - even at very high speeds. Very quiet and stable - feels heavy and tough. Great smooth engine and transmission. Faultless mechanicals. Excellent quality dash and instrument layout. Plenty of protection re: airbags etc. Very durable interior materials, especially the optional interior treatment with wood(false) and leather seat facings. We will keep ours until any visible rust appears. I have a hunch this machine will run smoothly and reliably for years to come, despite it being 13 yrs old.

Suggested Improvements

Model dropped long ago.

Bought new in 2000, still driving it in 2012..no issues, very reliable
By moniqx4

2001 Infiniti QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in June of 2000. I owned a 1998 Qx4 which lacked power so the added 70 horsepower was a much needed improvement. I expected to keep it 10 years, but it at 12 years (155k miles ) and it hasnt given me a reason to get rid of it. I've kept the scheduled maintenance up on it, and the only thing I've had to do outside of that, was replace items that would normally need replacing, like brakes, shocks, etc. I got my money's worth on it. Pros: Very reliable. Does good with towing, towed 4 sportsbikes from AZ to Cali and up and down hills didnt notice any drag. Aged well for the most part, still quiet, still comfortable, nothing leaking. Cons: Not the fastest SUV out there

Favorite Features

At the time I got it I loved the Navigation, it was the only vehicle that had one. however, because it was the first it was CD based, which sucks now.Still works fine thou. The size, not too big and not too small. I'm 5'2" so for me it was perfect. Drove like a car, but had the flexibility and size of a SUV that I wanted. I liked how it looked as well, when it was new got a lot of compliments and second looks, of course not so much now. LOL However,I still like how it looks, doesn't appear dated even after 12 years.

Suggested Improvements

- Paint, over the years gotten quite a few chips and dings, that seem excessive. and i did wash and wax on a regular basis. - More headroom, front and back. I'm short so no issue for me, but anyone over 6 ft, in the front tends to be close to the roof, and in the backseat, not made for tall people at all. My Maxima had more headroom. - Gas mileage not the greatest. As it has aged I've lost a few gallons to the mile. getting like 16 - 17 in the city.

Unibody Rust
By darwinpost

2001 Infiniti QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Right side unibody rusted out - the engine and front differential are connected to the frame which cannot effectively be repaired. Extreme safety hazard. If the unibody could be repaired, it would be temporary and pose a safety hazard for the next buyer and potential liability for the seller. Infiniti refuses to assume responsibility. Infiniti has repaired the driver's side strut tower housing, but does not acknowledge sever unibody rust. Dealer indicates other owners have same problem.

Rust machine
By Rob

2001 Infiniti QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The QX4 has been very reliable for me, but it's not my everyday drive vehicle. Ride is real rough in the back and the cabin is a bit small, but at the time that i purchased it, there were not a lot of options in mid-sized SUVs. For a vehicle that mostly sits in a garage, around 6 yrs old it has had a lot of rust issues, mainly behind the fender flares and the running board. Infiniti would not do anything for me and wanted $1100.00 for new running boards. So I had a body shop redo the metal for the running boards for around $200.00 each. I do think I will by infiniti again, because they did not stand behind the rust guarantee. A $40,000.00 vehicle should not have rust that much so soon.

Favorite Features

Cabin neatness and finishes, headlights are very visible at night. Selectable drive-trains. Rear heated seats. Analog clock.

Suggested Improvements

Better rust protection. I had a 1992 Camry that didn't rust until about 15-16 years old, I have a 1995 Volvo 850 with no rust yet. More cabin room, better ride, heated seat that heat up faster. No more fender flares that capture salt. Sturdier bumpers.