2001 Infiniti QX4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific QX4 model:
Simply admirable.
By jubal82 on 12/02/13 01:45 AM (PST)

2001 Infiniti QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Pros: The reliability of Infiniti. (engine/transmission never let you down) The classic design. (never get tired of the look) The quiet city cruiser. (car-like luxury-smoothness) The able muscle on demand. (whenever necessary @240hp) The attractive interior. (quality leather all around) The choice engineering. (switchable Auto-2wd-4H-4L system) The convenient features. (4 seat heaters/2 auto seat adjustment) Cons: The gas guzzler. (15-17mpg) The tiny legroom in the back. (not easy to get in/out as well) The rust issues underneath/fender areas. (questionable building quality?) I live in a rural area where it's 60%highway and 40% off-road driving.

2001 QX4 in Canada - still going strong 2013
By ay9i on 09/11/13 13:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Infiniti QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

170,000 kms and the only repairs have been engine coils at 150,000 ($900.) emissions sensor (2 @ $150 each) and air mass sensor ($300). The machine is excellent to drive in all conditions. The 4x4 system works very competently in snow and mud. The vehicle is well appointed, powerful, quiet and smooth. Extremely reliable. Poor fuel economy & premium fuel Cramped back seat (legroom) Poor rust resistance ***** Anyone considering one MUST insist a shop remove the plastic covers over (esp. rear) wheels. EASY. A perfect looking vehicle can have BAD rust issues behind these Must spray inner front fenders and under front of hood. These areas rust from behind & will ruin vehicle

Bought new in 2000, still driving it in 2012..no issues, very reliable
By moniqx4 on 03/29/12 14:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Infiniti QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in June of 2000. I owned a 1998 Qx4 which lacked power so the added 70 horsepower was a much needed improvement. I expected to keep it 10 years, but it at 12 years (155k miles ) and it hasnt given me a reason to get rid of it. I've kept the scheduled maintenance up on it, and the only thing I've had to do outside of that, was replace items that would normally need replacing, like brakes, shocks, etc. I got my money's worth on it. Pros: Very reliable. Does good with towing, towed 4 sportsbikes from AZ to Cali and up and down hills didnt notice any drag. Aged well for the most part, still quiet, still comfortable, nothing leaking. Cons: Not the fastest SUV out there

Unibody Rust
By darwinpost on 08/27/11 06:02 AM (PDT)

2001 Infiniti QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Right side unibody rusted out - the engine and front differential are connected to the frame which cannot effectively be repaired. Extreme safety hazard. If the unibody could be repaired, it would be temporary and pose a safety hazard for the next buyer and potential liability for the seller. Infiniti refuses to assume responsibility. Infiniti has repaired the driver's side strut tower housing, but does not acknowledge sever unibody rust. Dealer indicates other owners have same problem.

Rust machine
By Rob on 07/21/10 17:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Infiniti QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The QX4 has been very reliable for me, but it's not my everyday drive vehicle. Ride is real rough in the back and the cabin is a bit small, but at the time that i purchased it, there were not a lot of options in mid-sized SUVs. For a vehicle that mostly sits in a garage, around 6 yrs old it has had a lot of rust issues, mainly behind the fender flares and the running board. Infiniti would not do anything for me and wanted $1100.00 for new running boards. So I had a body shop redo the metal for the running boards for around $200.00 each. I do think I will by infiniti again, because they did not stand behind the rust guarantee. A $40,000.00 vehicle should not have rust that much so soon.

Why did they stop making these?!
By Mark M. on 08/25/09 18:04 PM (PDT)

2001 Infiniti QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I am a very particular buyer and I have to say my QX4 has exceeded all my expectations! I cannot say enough about this vehicle! Start with the engine, 240hp will move; no traffic conditions will deter you from going where you want to go! The 4 wheel drive system is excellent as well, just a click of the dial and you are good to go. It handled flawlessly last winter in a heavy snowstorm, while other cars on the road were crawling along at 25mph, I was instantly up to 40mph and felt like I was on dry pavement. Very confidence inspiring! The Infiniti gets looks everywhere I go and there's not a lot of these on the road which makes it even more unique! I love this SUV! Buy one, you'll thank me!

My experience
By Craig W on 07/15/09 16:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Infiniti QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Fun little rig to drive. The MPG is a tad low but the pep somewhat compensates for it. I bought it with 90K on it and for the most part it is in new condition. My biggest complaint is with the Bose/Clarion 6 CD/Cassette stereo. I had the car 4 months and got what is known as the dreaded err 2 message on the CD screen. With a bit of investigation I found this is a very common problem. This problem is peculiar to the 2001 model. There is a plastic gear in the CD changer that strips out. I have read of dealer quotes to $500 to fix this.

lots of Issues
By 2001 QX4 beware on 01/24/09 09:23 AM (PST)

2001 Infiniti QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I had so many problems with this car(s), I even had 2 of these, got rid of one and got another, same bunch of issues, Tranny has issues! only 75k on it. new trans, new alternator, new pullys, new rotors, strut, replaced turn signal stick, muffler pipes broke, brakes awful, radio replaced, windows are slow, IF you're gonna buy this, only get the 2003, maybe they worked out some of the issues. had to do a lemon law case on it. beware

QX4 should be brought back
By proy on 12/11/08 17:02 PM (PST)

2001 Infiniti QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

When I purchased the 2001 QX4, there were not many car based SUVs - QX4 is a truck based rear wheel drive vehicle. 4WD was an option. The differential & drive shaft needed for rear wheel drive adds weight - for that reason gas consumption is a bit higher compared to contemporary non-SUVs. 2001+ models have the killer look - personally, I prefer it over the X5s and of course RX300 and M-Class. The front bezel and the wide three-spoke aluminum wheels (for 4WD trim) are both unique. The 4WD trim came with adequate and stylist standard features - Xenon HID head lamp, sun/moon roof, 6CD Bose, electro-fluorescent dash, everything-power, leather, simulated wood-trim ...

Electrical problems with our Q
By QX4me3434 on 11/16/08 06:16 AM (PST)

2001 Infiniti QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We thought this was one of the best values on the road as we previously had good experiences with Nissan Pathfinders. Unfortunately, electrical problems have ruined an otherwise good ownership experience with our QX4. We should have seen the early warning signs. Had to replace the entire radio/CD player at 25,000 miles (under warranty), have replaced batteries once a year for a non start - completely dead issue - something creating a slow draw from the car when it sits parked. The longer it is parked, the more chance it won't start. Now that we're out of the warranty, CD player is again not working and the car needs to be jumped once a week. Take it to the dealer and no problems can be found.

1 2 3 4 5 next »