Used 1998 Infiniti QX4 Base Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Infiniti QX4 - Consumer Reviews

1998 Infiniti QX4

Base 3.3L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (16 reviews )

LOVE LOVE LOVE MY QX4
By Stephanie

1998 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

I recently bought this car used so i am the second owner. When i bought it , it was at 213,000 miles now I have it to 223,000 miles. Even though its a 98 and it is now 2016 it runs like brand new! I haven't had to repair anything major yet! Which i am pretty happy about. This car is perfect for the snow! The only con is that it's not gas efficiant, but with low gas prices now a days it's not so bad. 10/10 would mosf defiantly recommend to anyone in need of an amzing SUV!

Loved my QX4!
By jan

1998 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1998 infiniti qx4 new replacing my 1993 pathfinder. The qx4 is light years nicer than the pathfinder! Qx4 is the most reliable, comfortable and trouble free vehicle ever! Bose stereo rocks! Scheduled maintenance and a small repair here and there in the 167,000 miles I drove it! Michelin xlt 100,000 mi. All weather SUV tires are awesome on qx4! So disappointed infiniti discontinued it! Just traded for a BMW x5 -- it was time -- although qx4 is still running beautifully and everything works perfectly! Amazing in all aspects! If you adhere to regular service schedule -- this is the best car ever! Love the 2wd/awd/4wd option - - never got stuck or slid on bad roads!

Bose stereo, sun/moon roof, fabulous ride, quality leather and carpets, high visibility mirrors, heated electric adjustable seats, excellent reliability; fun road trip and shopping car! QX4 standard features are stellar! Only options were sunroof and off-road package! Deluxe interior/exterior.

Gas mileage -- combined 18; hwy 20. Cup holders in center console a bit awkward. Infinity should have kept making this vehicle! The FX is like driving a coffin and the Q56 is so huge! Pathfinder is not close in quality and everything is an option!

The best suv I have ever driven
By skiper

1998 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

This suv rocks! From the first day I bought it till now I have had no problems. Being in the field of fixing and driving cars daily this is by far the best suv I have driven. Yes the engine could have been more powerful, but the comfort and reliability of this vehicle outweighs this factor. The 4 wheel drive system is the best and most reliable it compares with Land Rover which is considered the best in 4 wheel drive system. If you want to be safe and and never get stuck this is the car for you.

dependability, 4 wheel drive system, and comfort

there are none, this is the best of the best

QX4 Years Later
By Infinity Qx4

1998 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it used in 1998 with 40K miles. It is 2008 and it has 191,000 miles. I drive about 19K miles per year and it has been a great vehicle with the sunroof, Bose stereo and seat warmers. I started having problems about 3 years ago and rebuilt the transmission $2,500. I'm now looking at rebuilding again another $2500. The first transmission should have held up and now it is threatening to leave me stranded so I'm selling prior to keeping it with the high miles. Other problems included a bizzare rear-end problem that the dealer couldn't fix. Firestone finally fixed that, but the vehicle felt like it would roll or shake after an 18 wheeler prior to the fix. Perfect for a driver of less miles.

Sunroof, Bose stereo and seat warmer, built on car frame.

None.

Most reliable SUV ever
By frankwick

1998 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

Over 120,000 miles and not a single repair required. ZERO DOLLARS SPENT on repairs. I have changed my oil every 3,000-5,000 miles and the motor hums like it did the day I bought it. It's now 2007 and the body is looking dated compared to newer cars like the FX and Murano, but this is still a solid car. We have had several snow and ice storms and the 4-wheel drive makes me feel very secure when the wife/kids areout driving. While others were stuck inside, we were out enjoying the day.

Solid 4-wheel drive in crazy weather, crazy good reliability record, good handling/steering, versatile cargo area with easy to flip down seats.

Under-powered 3.3 liter motor, gas mileage is not great, but I don't think any SUVs are. I wish they still made this car.