Used 1997 Infiniti QX4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Infiniti Qx4 - Consumer Reviews

1997 Infiniti QX4

Base 3.3L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (20 reviews )

DO NOT BUY THIS SUV!
By shittycar

1997 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

There is a mass Recall on the Infiniti Qx4s that have to do with the steering column and the struts. If you live in a northern state or any where were they use salt to clear the roads of snow and ice do not get this vehicle it has harmed enough people! If you feel any vibration or shaking in your steering wheel see your dealership. If you go around corners and your car jumps lanes with out you moving the wheel get rid of it. Im not the only one having these issues either. My friend who had a 1999 Infiniti Qx4 lost control of her steering completely while driving 65 mph down the road.

Suggested Improvements

The hole car!!!! Plus when you take your car to get fixed the dealership treats you [non-permissible content removed]. I have been to quite a few so its not just one. being as im a girl they think i have no idea what im saying.

Good SUV
By djlarroc

1997 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

Had this vechicle for about 3 years/30k. It was reliable, and maintenance was not bad. Ride was a bit stiff, and MPG was terrible. About 14-15MPG. 3.3 V6 struggles badly to move this heavy SUV. But it was a nice luxury SUV, and in the snow, it was among the best. Great winter vehicle. Radio went out, starter, and some other minor things, but no big deal. My full size Tahoe gets better MPG and with a lot more power.

Moms new 120,000 QX4
By Jon Klingenfus

1997 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

My brother bought this SUV in 1995 and ran it up 40k and did a quick sale to me as a fixer upper for $1000, he was told from a shop that it would cost $12k to fix right. Nonsense!~!Well $1200 later she was purring and looking new, but you have to look at the estimates! They priced everything as infinity and tried to charge dealership cost plus shop markup! I shopped pathfinder on ebay and cut the bill. Then gave it to mom, she's in love with her qx4 and even had the stereo upgraded with a new stereo with back up camera and DVD has been flawless for another 60k miles and climbing. She says it isn't how old you are, its how your treated.

Favorite Features

Classic ageless look.

A True Classic
By Derrick

1997 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

There is a reason the QX4 is a very high demand SUV. I have joyfully driven this vehicle for over 150k miles. It purrs like a kitten and is as dependable as the day is long. The QX4 is the best vehicle I have ever owned and it pains me to part with it. However my new purchase is also an Infinity SUV. The QX4 is an expert handler on snow and ice and superb craftsmanship is still evident 150k miles later. It is a tad bit underpowered for mountain driving and the gas mileage is below average. However even today the vehicle turns heads and is an absolute joy to drive. It is too bad Infiniti discontinued the QX4 as I would certainly have bought another one. Viva QX4!! I will miss my trusty friend.

Favorite Features

The quality of the radio and speakers was surprising. In addition the leather has worn well over the years. The heated seats also were designed well with the on/off button conveniently located. The auto 4WD button was an interesting feature as well. Trunk room was more than adequate. Great ventilation.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage could have been better. The car was slightly underpowered given its gross vehicle weight.

A Posh Pathfinder
By D. O'Connor

1997 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

As a first car, the QX4 has served me well. It's got good looks and above-average handling for a truck on its side, but as time wore on its, deficiencies became more and more apparent. Gas mileage is awful; 15 mpg is about the norm for me and I can rarely go more than 250 miles on a tank, this with a (horribly gutless) V6! The ride is choppy in the back seat, which itself is cramped with next to no headroom for me, though admittedly I'm also 6'1". And while the overall maneuverability is good, the steering is way too heavy and has little feel (it also seems to be permanently misaligned despite a visit to the shop, which may just be an age-related issue).

Favorite Features

Styling is nice, even if it is just a gussied-up Pathfinder. Well-built cabin, and very reliable considering it's got 200k miles. I like the outside temp gauge and automatic A/C, though I don't really need them either. Doesn't handle [entirely] like a tank. No Miata though.

Suggested Improvements

A drivetrain that has the power of an inline 4 but the mileage of a V8 (they managed to make the car weigh 5000lbs too, which, you know, doesn't help). Overly heavy steering saps any possible fun out of driving. Sunroof takes a ton of headroom out of the back seat. Not the smoothest ride.