1997 Infiniti QX4 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.3L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (20 reviews )
DO NOT BUY THIS SUV!
By shittycar on 03/23/12 10:42 AM (PDT)

1997 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

There is a mass Recall on the Infiniti Qx4s that have to do with the steering column and the struts. If you live in a northern state or any where were they use salt to clear the roads of snow and ice do not get this vehicle it has harmed enough people! If you feel any vibration or shaking in your steering wheel see your dealership. If you go around corners and your car jumps lanes with out you moving the wheel get rid of it. Im not the only one having these issues either. My friend who had a 1999 Infiniti Qx4 lost control of her steering completely while driving 65 mph down the road.

Good SUV
By djlarroc on 09/24/11 22:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

Had this vechicle for about 3 years/30k. It was reliable, and maintenance was not bad. Ride was a bit stiff, and MPG was terrible. About 14-15MPG. 3.3 V6 struggles badly to move this heavy SUV. But it was a nice luxury SUV, and in the snow, it was among the best. Great winter vehicle. Radio went out, starter, and some other minor things, but no big deal. My full size Tahoe gets better MPG and with a lot more power.

Moms new 120,000 QX4
By Jon Klingenfus on 10/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

My brother bought this SUV in 1995 and ran it up 40k and did a quick sale to me as a fixer upper for $1000, he was told from a shop that it would cost $12k to fix right. Nonsense!~!Well $1200 later she was purring and looking new, but you have to look at the estimates! They priced everything as infinity and tried to charge dealership cost plus shop markup! I shopped pathfinder on ebay and cut the bill. Then gave it to mom, she's in love with her qx4 and even had the stereo upgraded with a new stereo with back up camera and DVD has been flawless for another 60k miles and climbing. She says it isn't how old you are, its how your treated.

A True Classic
By Derrick on 07/14/09 18:57 PM (PDT)

1997 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

There is a reason the QX4 is a very high demand SUV. I have joyfully driven this vehicle for over 150k miles. It purrs like a kitten and is as dependable as the day is long. The QX4 is the best vehicle I have ever owned and it pains me to part with it. However my new purchase is also an Infinity SUV. The QX4 is an expert handler on snow and ice and superb craftsmanship is still evident 150k miles later. It is a tad bit underpowered for mountain driving and the gas mileage is below average. However even today the vehicle turns heads and is an absolute joy to drive. It is too bad Infiniti discontinued the QX4 as I would certainly have bought another one. Viva QX4!! I will miss my trusty friend.

A Posh Pathfinder
By D. O'Connor on 07/30/08 19:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

As a first car, the QX4 has served me well. It's got good looks and above-average handling for a truck on its side, but as time wore on its, deficiencies became more and more apparent. Gas mileage is awful; 15 mpg is about the norm for me and I can rarely go more than 250 miles on a tank, this with a (horribly gutless) V6! The ride is choppy in the back seat, which itself is cramped with next to no headroom for me, though admittedly I'm also 6'1". And while the overall maneuverability is good, the steering is way too heavy and has little feel (it also seems to be permanently misaligned despite a visit to the shop, which may just be an age-related issue).

Terrific vehicle
By egoettle on 03/21/08 18:23 PM (PDT)

1997 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

Suspension is rough but not uncommon for vehicles that utilize 4wd. Fuel economy is great (I get 18 mph) and that is with a hole in the exhaust manifold. The power is fantastic. I live on a ranch in NW North Dakota where we have some pretty tough hills; the 4 WD of the QX4 really kicks, even when chasing horses, cows, straight up some pretty tough hills. I purchased it with 86K miles on it; it now has almost 150K miles and the engine's never been touched and doesn't "burn" oil.

great car!
By lukechen on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

good car and good outlook, easy to drive and stable quality

Never Again
By Malibuwaverunner on 08/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

This was my first car when I was 17. Went to get it with my grandfather. The first 6 months were great! I enjoyed driving this SUV. However this went downhill very quickly. The first thing to go were the rotors and since the first time i had them repaired ive had to have them replaced twice!! Ive only owned the car 2 years! This is an obvious engineering flaw. This on top of the air conditioning going out($1500) and the struts ($1000) is ridiculous. I could have purchased a REAL luxury car like a BMW or Mercedes-Benz and been better off! If you're thinking of purchasing one please think twice! Japanese engineering is not the best and is filled with flaws. Just as a warning!

I Love It!!!!
By Lonita Collier on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

After 3 years, I still love the way the QX4 looks and drive. The vehicle is stylish and classey. The sound system is good and I have not had any major problems out of this vehicle.

Hmmm.....
By Jaspat on 11/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Infiniti QX4 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car with only 45k last year. It's been very reliable but does lack power. The WORST part of this car is the suspension!!! My little Frontier rides like a Cadillac compared to the QX4. Any slight bump in the road and the suspension bottoms out like you just dropped off a 4ft cliff. This is embarrassing when you are taking friends around and it's supposed to be a luxury SUV. The shocks were replaced and it made no difference. Also, no one makes anything other than OEM shocks so you can't even put stiffer shocks if you wanted to. Needless to say, this will be my last QX4.