2014 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Q50 model:

Q50 experience-15 months later
By Mohamed Samman

2014 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Hybrid Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 7A)

I leased a Q50S AWD Hybrid in Nov 2013. The first couple of months I had problems with the Infiniti Connection technology that even the dealership couldn't figure out how to fix. Since then it has been a very pleasant experience. The recent addition of the inTouch apps is nice. The handling and cornering is the same if not better than BMW 335. In Sport mode the acceleration is awesome and the paddle shifters are very responsive. When accelerating from low speed in standard or eco mode the transmission appears confused which gear to shift to first and sometimes fails to respond properly to the driver's foot on the gas pedal.

Favorite Features

Very stable cornering at high speeds. Gas consumption very good in standard or eco mode for a 360 hp engine.

Suggested Improvements

Improve software for transmission shift when accelerating from low speeds in Standard and eco mode so its smoother and more accurate and responsive.

Ordinary driver's review after 2 months
By jpat0973

2014 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Hybrid Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 7A)

I'my not a professionally trained driver looking to evaluate this car on how many Gs it pulls. I'm an ordinary guy who commutes 100 miles per day and bought this car to drive it like most people will - on traffic filled highways and streets with stop lights, not hairpin turns. It is whisper quiet on the highway, faster than anything else you'll see on the road, and sips fuel. Technology is beyond what I need, but has nice features. I didn't get the deluxe technology package because I am more than capable of staying in my lane and hitting the brakes. Bottom line, this is a really nice sedan (it's not a sports car). Extra note, it's great in the snow.

Favorite Features

Seats, acceleration, quiet cabin, user settings, highway manners, drive mode options, traction, fuel efficiency, leg room

Suggested Improvements

Heated washer jets, fuel capacity, small cup holders, storage space

Unpredictable
By personalfeel

2014 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Hybrid Premium 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 7A)

I traded in my 2013 Accord 4 cyl with the q50 hybrid. I regret for my decision. The acceleration is uneven especially at lower speed and in the city. The transition from hybrid to gasoline is abrupt and feel embarrassed because even the passengers can feel it and questioned if there's anything wrong with the car. The acceleration is unpredictable at lower speed and there were many times, I felt the car lunge forward when I only step on the pedal just a little and other times, I had to step on it hard before it will take off. After driving for 5000 miles, I felt the car a lot heavier than the accord and the handling is not that much better which I expected more from a RWD.

Favorite Features

The seat is comfortable than my 2013 accord. It fits my shorter stature more than the accord.

Suggested Improvements

Infiniti really needs to improve its hybrid system and make it smoother. The shifting is not as smooth as my previous Accord and I hope the transmission will be long lasting. I don't have much confidence with it. The sport mode is too stiff and the standard too soft. I should've gone with a 3 series or Acura TLX. I really want my Accord back.

A compromised sport sedan
By ocd168

2014 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Hybrid Sport 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 7A)

After leasing the car for about 6 months, 5k miles, here's my assessment. Accelerating from standstill is great, the electric motor really provides a smooth takeoff combined with the gas engine for the power. In "sport" mode it is fast (0-60 in 4.9s). However, taking turns or windy road is a different matter, I never feel the car is planted like the 3-series, car feels unstable at times. Sometimes the auto brake, lane departure tech get in the way of driving, I usually turn it off on local streets. The lane departure prevention is of little use because when the lane curves too much it won't correct for you. The touch-screen computer is extremely SLOW, needs a faster processor.

Favorite Features

A few things that got my interest about the Q50S Hybrid: attractive design, RWD + Hybrid, 4.9s in 0-60, 28/34mpg (I get 26-27 in mixed driving so not bad), technology such as direct adaptive steering. The ability to switch different driving modes is a nice feature (steering, throttle, suspension).

Suggested Improvements

The forward collision warning system sometimes will stop me (for a split second) from accelerating when the road ahead is slightly inclined (thinks I'm going to hit something). Braking is not smooth due to regenerative system. Driving dynamics/handling need improvement. Computer is way too slow, pressing the temp buttons will literally take 2 seconds before it's reflected on screen. I end up counting how many times I clicked the up/down buttons then glance at the screen to make sure I got the right temperature.

Probably My Last Infiniti
By jimg37

I traded my G37 (that I loved) for the Q50. At first, I commented that I enjoyed the car more than I thought I would. Steering issues that others reported were not an issue with me. Electronics and tech are cool but finicky and can be distracting. After just three months in the car it died on me on the highway. Infiniti Connections was not a help in getting a tow truck. Two weeks plus at the Infiniti dealer no results in getting issue resolved. Two visits from Infiniti engineers and they want to run more tests. I'm told Hybrid battery discharged and the transmission is bad. But no resolution. Local dealer is trying to help but no word or help from corporate.

Favorite Features

The driving experience was great until it broke down. Technology is cool. Style is great.

Suggested Improvements

Technology needs to get the bugs out. Infiniti Consumer Affairs needs to be much more consumer friendly.