Used 2002 Infiniti Q45 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Infiniti Q45 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.5L V8 5-speed Automatic - (44 reviews )

I still love this car.
By jerry_in_wa

2002 Infiniti Q45 4dr Sedan (4.5L 8cyl 5A)

This is the best car I've ever owned. By now, I'm usually bored with my vehicle and ready to replace. Almost 4 years later and I still love my car. I am the 3rd owner of my '02 Sport, I bought mine in August 2011 with 116K for $7K, a steal at the time. It now has 165K on the odometer and in those 50 thousand miles all I've had to fix was one wheel bearing (other than routine tires/brakes/plugs). That's fantastic. The routine maintenance is costlier than most cars but not wallet breaking. This is like a "Japanese BMW" that doesn't ride so stiff.

PROS: nice looking, very comfortable, extremely roomy, amazing stereo, fantastic highway cruiser, ridiculously great at highway acceleration, sweet climate control system, voice controls, handles pretty good for a huge car, the gatling gun HID headlights are really nice.

CONS: Radio/climate controls could be more intuitive. Trunk has 3 issues: it's a bit small (albeit to accommodate the sub, amp and rear window shade), the lid likes to close unexpectedly and the hinges are exposed to trunk area (must avoid filling in that space). Rear window shade tends to stick closed (just needs a small tug).

265,000 miles
By q45owner

2002 Infiniti Q45 4dr Sedan (4.5L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned this car (Sport) since 9-2005 when I bought it from the first owner w/ 40k on it. It has been very reliable car to own. It handles well and has great accelertation. At 265k there are no rattles and the car rides very quite. The V8 does burn oil. But it is the same since I got it. This is a common issue w/ these cars.

Ride, acceleration

Not impressed
By crispybee

2002 Infiniti Q45 4dr Sedan (4.5L 8cyl 5A)

No doubt this is a comfortable ride, but the joy stops there. Maintenance is a wallet-draining nightmare, and with the price of (premium only!) gas these days, along with a dismal 16 mpg fuel efficiency, this car is a waste of money. The high-powered headlights are great until one needs to be replaced (at a premium price, of course). This car spent almost as much time in the shop as it did in my driveway. The paint and body are ridiculously fragile. I traded mine in for a Subaru. I only wish I would have done it sooner.

Satisfying but pricey
By atifali460

2002 Infiniti Q45 4dr Sedan (4.5L 8cyl 5A)

The power is great, but it drinks up gas as well. In the winter, with only city driving, I'm getting only 10.3 mpg-summer time it goes back up to 17. I love the comfort, and the V8 engine is absolutely silent. Maintainance is pretty expensive as well with even the smallest of problems. Just bought new tires for $900. This car is ultimate luxury for the price your paying. The car is heavy, but the power it's backed up with makes up for it. Personally, I love the car, but the maintainance is getting a bit too pricey for me.

Heated reclining rear seating, with rear controls for stereo and temp.

Very Good Car
By Erik

2002 Infiniti Q45 4dr Sedan (4.5L 8cyl 5A)

Excellent, quiet ride with lots of technology (backup camera, sport setting, etc.). You can buy these used for very cheap now, and the quality is excellent. The only issue I've had is oil burnoff (no leaks, etc. - oil consumption is high for some reason). But I haven't had any breakdowns and the car has been bullet-proof. I get 21 MPG (70% highway), which isn't bad for a car this big with so much power.

Quiet ride, comfortable and plenty of power. Rides just as good as new luxury cars costing much more.

Oil consumption - change oil every 3k miles and add a quart at 1,500 miles to be safe.