2004 Infiniti M45 4.5L V8 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

2004 Infiniti M45 - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (4.5L V8 5-speed Automatic)

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
By nbeyond on

2004 Infiniti M45 4dr Sedan (4.5L 8cyl 5A)

Went in to look at the G35, but was not as impressed with that car as reviews had led me to believe. Actually hadn't heard of the M45, but was immediately attracted to the interior design and comfort before I drove it. Then, wow! Clearly, a refined muscle car. You just don't expect to get quick acceleration and tight handling from what is essentially a luxury sedan. The Edmunds review compares the looks to a Cadillac DeVille, but with the rear spoiler and after adding custom chrome wheels, they couldn't be more wrong. I drove the Cadillac STS-V and BMW 545 before picking this car--couldn't see a good enough reason to spend another $10-15K. And, gotta love the reliability reports!

Favorite Features

1) Design--obviously a luxury sedan, but with hints of performance (spoiler, 18-in wheels). 2) Highway acceleration. 3) Interior design w/ characteristic walnut accents and little retro clock. 4) Knowing it's highly unlikely I'll need to make any major repairs.

Suggested Improvements

1) Better off-the-line acceleration; extend range of 1st gear. 2) Manual transmission. 3) Switch positions of audio button and passenger temp control. 4) Touch-screen controls! The stick is distracting, and it often goes sideways while I am trying to push it in, making a choice I don't want.