Used 2001 Infiniti I30 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific I30 model:

Can you afford it?
By bonedatt

2001 Infiniti I30 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for a second vehicle for job and everyday commute and settled for the 2001 Infiniti I30. Coming from a German made 2009 VW Passat and now a 2012 VW CC 'Lux Plus', the expectations were already high. The 2001 I30 lived and still lives up to this expectation. The interior and exterior are beautiful. There are technologies on this vehicle that I think even the Germans can still borrow from to add to some of their "future" vehicles :-). Don't get me wrong, German engineering is still up there but this car holds it's own. The question potential buyers of this vehicle may want to ask themselves is "can you afford this"?. I don't mean the buying price, but the cost of maintenance.

Favorite Features

Auto headlights, the fact that it still has a cassette tape player (WOW), enough cup holders help during long trips, very roomy, memory seats (especially when it re-adjust to let you out), trunk lid opener on remote key, speedometer (160mph)....I can go on and on

Suggested Improvements

Well it's a 2001 model and this review is coming 10 years later so I would hope they improved on any defects or omissions. Now, had I bought this car in 2001, I would have preferred Bi-Xenon head lights with LED day time running lights, two tone leather heated seats, auto power windows for all sides, USB iPod connection, AUX connection, Bluetooth capabilities, 18 inch wheels, electric steering wheel, rear view camera, Rear ventilation outlets, 6 speed transmission, longer lasting sensors (all sensors)

2001 I-30 Outstanding Reliability and Value
By lynnj

2001 Infiniti I30 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new 2001. After some O2 and Mass Airflow sensor failures during 60K warranty period, no repairs until 148,000 miles (starter) and 160K m (radiator). Now at 178Km and car drives like it has 50K on it. I could not be happier with it. My 21 yr old son wants me to replace it (with G37) and retire the I30 to him! This car has been a 10+ on a 10 point scale.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Low maintenance cost. Limited repairs.

Suggested Improvements

"Leather seats" only applies to the butt and back panels. The rest are vinyl and delaminate from the backing.

Thinking twice about Infiniti
By speedfanatic20

2001 Infiniti I30 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car after my SC400 was totaled. Had about 100K on it or so. Performance is decent but coming from a RWD V8 to a FWD V6 was a little disappointing. Don't get me wrong I love my I30, but its conditional love. This car has been an absolute nightmare. The VSS was replaced twice, MAF sensor is prone to replacement, ECM burned up due to sudden fault in the Idle Control. Suspension is very soft even for a sedan. Besides this long list of expensive i mean very expensive repairs, I enjoy driving this car. It has a very responsive throttle and gets attention where ever it goes.

Favorite Features

timing chain, decent fuel economy, interior design, comfortable seats, plenty of space for any size passengers.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint job, stiffer suspension, increase reliability and dependability.

Street tank Highway Cruiser
By serezhkin

2001 Infiniti I30 Touring 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car used with 115k. Driving impressions: the car is like a tank in the city: huge turn radius, horrible mpg (14/city), poor rear visibility makes it hard to park. Performance is ok for 230hp. I come from 97 528i, and some minor features are missing, and interior quality is not as great. HID lights are all fogged out by now and barely illuminate the road. However, over 2 years I only had the following issues: replaced ECU and defective idle control valve ($500), power steering hose ($300). Oxygen sensor fault popped up once in a while - replaced spark plugs and now it's gone (at least for now). That's all! Now the pros - read them in the favorite features below.

Favorite Features

Plenty of creature comforts: climate control, auto-dimming mirror, auto on-off lights, rear sunshade, lots of storage compartments. Very stable on the freeway, the RPM is under 3000k at 80mph. Touring edition handles very well in rain due to the self-locking differential in front. Very good cornering abilities, although with some moderate body roll. The car is pretty much glued to the road, really hard to make it lose traction. Acceleration is good for city driving, first couple of gears pull it away nicely. The fun to drive factor is moderate - 528i was way more fun. Overall, I would recommend this car as a luxurious commuter.

Suggested Improvements

G35 made all improvements suggestions nonexistent.

Mechanical Nightmare
By Matt

2001 Infiniti I30 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car in '05 from Team Nissan in Oxnard, CA. They failed to inform me car had been in an accident. (Hood didn't have VIN, etc) Put 80k on it in four years, but didn't have it running for 18 months of that. Replaced wheel bearings, two new alternators, VSS sensor, starter, ignition, radiator... Fine when you punch it, but very heavy otherwise. '05 Altima V6 tromps this car with offline and during-driving quickness(but with only 23 more hp). I like the exterior and interior, but leather seats cracking, clock wand rattles, wind noise from back window, paint fading horribly. Wanted an Infiniti from day one, only enjoyed it for a year then it became a $ black hole. F You, Team Infiniti!

Favorite Features

Timeless styling, rear sun shade, great BOSE system, very comfortable & roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Mechanical reliability after 100k, paint remaining decent, better stock rims, lighter feel.