Used 1998 Infiniti I30 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Infiniti I30 - Consumer Reviews

1998 Infiniti I30 Sedan

View reviews for a specific I30 model:

Excellent used car at a low price.
By brianq727

1998 Infiniti I30 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a "go betweener" when my WRX died on me the second time because a shady mechanic shop j went to. I paid $2500 for this car with 127K miles and only expected to keep it a few months but it has really grown on me and is super reliable. Only things I've replaced in the 15 months I've owned it are a radiator for $110 and the O2 sensors for $130. Not bad for a car with 140K miles on it. She starts right up everyday and I plan on keeping her for a long time since I'm enjoying the "no car payment" life. I would highly recommend buying one of these used from model year 1996 to 1998. I see them for under $3K all the time and would make a great first car as well for teens.

Favorite Features

Nice leather. Smooth transmission even with 140K miles on it. Enough power to pull out in traffic.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension is a bit mushy. CV joints must be replaced every few years as with any FWD car.

current problem
By jack1950

1998 Infiniti I30 Sedan 4dr Sedan

my 1998 I30 - I had wheel bearings replaced on both front wheels and the next time I drove car my transmission seems to have a problem. 128,000 miles. Has anyone experienced this with their auto with such low mileage? going at about 55 mph a grinding sounded and a power loss started. I was able to drive at lower speed but the transmission appears to be troubled.

great car
By itsjimsley

1998 Infiniti I30 Sedan 4dr Sedan

reliable car bought with 78,000 miles now 91,000 nothing but gas and oil changes are needed. great bose sound system and peppy engine. big trunk and many miles to come.

Favorite Features

stereo system peppy engine good fuel economy for engine power and size easy to use controls

Suggested Improvements

none that i can think of

Not reliable
By llola

1998 Infiniti I30 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about 5 years ago and have had nothing but problems. I bought it with about 110,000 miles on it and thought it was a great car after doing some research. The stereo is broken and the volume nob is worthless. The starter was replaced after it wouldn't start. The battery was then replaced after it wouldn't start again. I had to replace the alternator. All within the course of five years. The ABS (airbag) light started to blink a couple years ago and I can't figure out what the problem is. Recently it won't start. I had it checked by a mechanic & he searched the whole car and can't find the problem. Unreliable car! Too expensive!

Favorite Features

My family has had three infinitis in the past and all three have been "lemons." One was brand new at purchase and had nothing but problems from the start. The next one was 2 years old straight off of the lease return it was certified and had nothing but problems. The one I bought was 7 years old and it has been a problem ever since I got it. I can't wait to get rid of it!

Suggested Improvements

make it reliable!

Best car I ever owned.
By allanc1

1998 Infiniti I30 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1998 I-30 in 2002, as a used car with 40K miles on it. I now have 297,600 miles on it. Outside of normal maintenance such as tires and brakes, I replaced the alternator once and the battery once. I change the oil every 3000 miles or as close as possible. It is the best purchase I ever made (and trust me, I have purchased some dogs over the years). I wish I had another just like it.

Favorite Features

I like the way the dash panel has easy toidentify and use switches, and the Bose system is top shelf.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any. I have purchased new Caddilacs and Honda since purchasing my Infiniti and theydo not compare.