1998 Infiniti I30 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific I30 model:
current problem
By jack1950 on 09/16/13 18:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Infiniti I30 4dr Sedan

my 1998 I30 - I had wheel bearings replaced on both front wheels and the next time I drove car my transmission seems to have a problem. 128,000 miles. Has anyone experienced this with their auto with such low mileage? going at about 55 mph a grinding sounded and a power loss started. I was able to drive at lower speed but the transmission appears to be troubled.

great car
By itsjimsley on 06/20/13 13:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Infiniti I30 4dr Sedan

reliable car bought with 78,000 miles now 91,000 nothing but gas and oil changes are needed. great bose sound system and peppy engine. big trunk and many miles to come.

Not reliable
By llola on 04/21/11 15:46 PM (PDT)

1998 Infiniti I30 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about 5 years ago and have had nothing but problems. I bought it with about 110,000 miles on it and thought it was a great car after doing some research. The stereo is broken and the volume nob is worthless. The starter was replaced after it wouldn't start. The battery was then replaced after it wouldn't start again. I had to replace the alternator. All within the course of five years. The ABS (airbag) light started to blink a couple years ago and I can't figure out what the problem is. Recently it won't start. I had it checked by a mechanic & he searched the whole car and can't find the problem. Unreliable car! Too expensive!

Best car I ever owned.
By allanc1 on 02/05/11 08:16 AM (PST)

1998 Infiniti I30 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1998 I-30 in 2002, as a used car with 40K miles on it. I now have 297,600 miles on it. Outside of normal maintenance such as tires and brakes, I replaced the alternator once and the battery once. I change the oil every 3000 miles or as close as possible. It is the best purchase I ever made (and trust me, I have purchased some dogs over the years). I wish I had another just like it.

Jackpot
By jmcizchillin on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Infiniti I30 Touring 4dr Sedan

I have had not one, but two infiniti i30 sedans. My first a 1997 i30t, which I bought with 80,000 miles for $7000 cash in 2004. My wife and I drove it to 175,000 miles in 2010. The only thing I replaced was the starter! The second was a 98 i30 base model I bought with 105,000 miles for $4200 cash in 2007, I traveled a lot with it and took it to 160,000 miles and I'm still driving it now. We sold the 97 earlier this year. But I am still driving the 98 at 161,000 miles. Ironically the only thing I had to replace on it was a measly starter! Both cars ran as good from day one to last day I drove them. (one of them was earlier today) this is one of the best and most reliable cars ever made.

Best experince
By D Rogers on 04/07/10 08:47 AM (PDT)

1998 Infiniti I30 4dr Sedan

I am far from the kind of guy that would write a review, however after looking at the things other people had to say regarding their experience, I wanted to share mine as well. I originally leased the vehicle in 98, and went over my yearly mileage because it was so fun to drive. I had a freakish accident which caused a small fire under the hood (alternator) that happened within the first 6 months of the car, but it was fixed and I have had no major problems at all. I took the car in for regular maintenance which added to the overall longevity, but other than that; no problems.

Love my I30
By Scott M on 02/05/10 18:50 PM (PST)

1998 Infiniti I30 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used from a private party for 4k and have never looked back. The car is extremely reliable with few repairs, except for the obvious, brakes etc. I just took it to the mechanic and he told me that if I continue to take care of it, should last me another 100k. Lastly for those of you with air bag light problems, there is a fix on the internet, haven't figured out how to do it yet, but it should get rid of the annoying blinking light. I have heard infinity wants upwards of $600 to fix, shame on you when it has always been a glitch with the system. Happy Driving to all Infinity I30 drivers!!

Years of Reliability and Fun
By ZHorton on 12/28/09 06:49 AM (PST)

1998 Infiniti I30 4dr Sedan

I bought a 98 Infiniti i30 with 80,000 miles on it from a repo lot, after doing zero research and test driving only one other vehicle. Luckily, I didn't regret this spur-of-the-moment decision, because the i30 was bulletproof for my harsh driving tendencies for 7+ years. I drove this car throughout my early 20s, oftentimes far too fast, and did nothing except change the oil and tires. Added bonus was that this car takes all Nissan parts, so the repairs I had (radiator, starter) were cheap and easy fixes. I drove this car into the ground and it was worth every penny.

Still Happy to drive after 8 years!!!
By Eddie on 12/21/09 08:38 AM (PST)

1998 Infiniti I30 4dr Sedan

I can probably give the most accurate review for this car, I've owned it for 150K miles, bought it in 5/01 with 27K miles and now it has 176K miles. The car has been great so far. I had to replace the starter at 40K miles which was strange but after that thing that went wrong with it were my fault. Abused the car, raced it a lot, put many aftermarket parts (electronics mostly) it was my first real car. The transmission went bad at 100K miles, replaced under extended warranty. Just replaced radiator at 175K miles. For the past 2 years had cranking issues that no one seems to find out where it comes from, not even the dealers. Expect normal wear and tear this car has been holding up very well.

Not a disappointment
By Todd Thomas on 11/12/09 17:27 PM (PST)

1998 Infiniti I30 4dr Sedan

We have owned this car for over 8 years with minimal repairs (less than $1500 in that eight years). It now has over 250K miles and we drive it every day with no serious issues. Of course it is showing the wear of the years/miles, but still a very dependable car.