Used 2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan

View reviews for a specific G35 model:

Timeless Looks, Fun to drive, Great car for its age
By eiji81

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 05 G35 Coupe 6spd in Oct 2014 with 116k miles. Before buying this car I looked at a 05 BMW 3series, Honda S2000, and Nissan 350z. For the price range, the G35 has the best value and features. It has usable back seats, 19" rims, and Navigation. Overall its a nice luxury sports car, but at this age and mileage, is expected to have some issues and be a little outdated. I repaired a few things: front brakes, 6cd changer/nav, front control arms, clutch master cyclinder, and drive belts. Maintenance costs can be expensive if you don't have warranty. It only uses Premium gas but I get 18-20mpg city and around 25mpg hwy. After all the repairs, its now running very well!

Favorite Features

Pop-up Navigation, Heated Seats, All Power options, Aggressive exhaust sound, Close-ratio 6speed transmission. Engine is powerful and torquey. The car looks amazing for a 10yr old car.

Suggested Improvements

Needs Better dash material: The dash has started to have cracks (probably due to cheap materials). The seatbelt does not retract. The steering is on the heavier side. Needs Better speakers. The paint is flakes easily.

Buy this vehicle!
By zach23

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is truly an astonishing machine. The bond that I have shared with Infiniti has moved me to become an Infiniti salesman. First off I have owned two this model, a 2004 g35 manual and now a 2005. Opt for the 2005 if you have the option, it has a sexier hood taillights and other features, like more horsepower etc. It drives amazing. We have a lot of hills and curves in Wisconsin so I can truly say I have tested these cars. If you floor it after 3000rpm hold on tight as you are pushed into the plush leather seats. So comfortable and well built. Fuel economy is 30mpg hwy not bad for a 306 horsepower beast. You will not regret owning this vehicle I promise. Way better than is300,tl,bmw etc.

Sad to let this car go, but...
By litman

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had my '05 G for 68 months. Sold it last week and got a '12 G37 sedan. I always loved the smooth, feminine lines of the '03-06 Gs. The interior was a bit squeaky and I never really liked the orange gauge lights,but I never had any mechanical issues until recently, when the car was nearly 9 years old. Then the power seat switch failed ($1,700) and the power adjustment for the steering column failed too. Personally, when electrical issues start cropping up, I ditch the car. The car was great for what it was - a sport sedan. Rear seat room was a little tight, but I feel I got my money's worth for the car, my favorite so far. We have had five Infinitis and two Nissans through the years.

Favorite Features

Frankly, my favorite feature was the understated beauty of this car. I drove this automobile like I stole it for nearly 6 years, yet I could still blend into traffic like just another citizen in an average sedan. Underneath the hood you have a tremendously engineered engine propelling a nicely balanced chassis. For me, anonymity is a good thing. I liked the reliability compared to the Europeans I had prior. The pop-up nav was pretty cool in an old-school James Bond kind of way too. I liked having a nice car that is low on snob appeal. The steering was responsive and once I mastered the manual mode instead of the automatic, I could really pick my spots - not like my MX5, but decent enough.

Suggested Improvements

They improved most of what I didn't like: They changed the gauge lighting, they improved the interior quality, especially the plastics. They moved the seat controls to the outside of the seat. They placed the audio controls for an left-side driver, not a right side (Japanese) driver. They lost the adjustable rear seats, which I though were cool but my passengers never seemed to like. That's about it - there was not much I didn't like about my '05 - I would have kept it much longer had the electrical problems (which I attribute to age rather than design) not started occurring, but on the Mercedes I once owned, these started in year 3, not 9, and the were persistent and expensive.

Excellent value, minor annoyances
By snowtrax00

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan x AWD 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The car is quick and the engine sounds good but the transmission is rough shifting into reverse. The manual mode shifts with a bang almost every time. The brakes are spongy, warp easily and don't last long. The exhaust has rust problems and the gas mileage is alright but could be better. Handling is pretty tight but the car is skinny so body roll is more noticeable than others. The leather is soft and comfortable but rips easily. The interior is nice but looks dated and has a few squeaks and rattles but most cars do.

Favorite Features

Heated, perforated leather seats, 280 horsepower engine, reclining rear seats on premium package, excellent reliability

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage, extra gear for the highway, better brakes, thicker leather, wider stance for better handling, more responsive traction control

Repairs very expensive
By gary171

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan x AWD 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the car new 7 years ago with the optional 7 year/100,000 warranty. I've had all service done at my Infinity dealership and total repairs not covered under warranty to date are $9300. My wife purchased the Acura TL the same day 7 years ago with the 7 year/100,000 warranty. All her service was done at the Acura dealership and total repairs to date are $3600. I love driving the Infinity----I don't care for the Acura, but the repairs are just expensive to her car. That's really my only complaint about the car. Both extended warranties just expired last week, and both cars have around 80,000 miles. I probably will purchase another Infinity when this car dies.