Used 2004 Infiniti G35 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Infiniti G35 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific G35 model:

2004 - 9 years later (2013)
By ay9i

2004 Infiniti G35 Rwd 2dr Coupe w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

4 vehicles in the household, BMW, Infiniti QX4, and 2 G35's - an '03 and '04. Have had many other brands. We have kept our G35's all these years as they are a wonderful blend of performance, appearance, and luxury appointments supported by an outstandingly reliable and safe, fun to drive sporty car with usable back seat and cargo/trunk. The only problems - ever - are minor electrical over 9 and 10 years. Door lock actuators on both cars failed ($150 ea) and radio/climate control head repair ($400) on the '04. Both vehicles have about 70k miles garaged but driven year round including rough Canadian winters. Simply unbeatable combination of value, quality, reliability, luxury and fun.

Performance, looks, reliability, and just a very personal sporty, and awesome automobile which still allows for 4 adults, although ingress and egress not like a sedan. I am 6'1" and can just manage the back seat, whereas it would be impossible in most similar coupes. It is not really comfortable, but it is do-able, which means it is better than most. Decent cargo capacity due to fold down rear seat thru to trunk. So this a very fun car that offers some degree of utility. Ultimately the styling, sound, performance and reliability give these G35's and 37's an immense edge.

If Infiniti would keep an eye on the door and lock actuators, these small things keep this car from being perfect in terms of long-term reliability and service

poor gas milage
By pisciotta

2004 Infiniti G35 Rwd 4dr Sedan w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

car is great in every way, just really really bad on gas

Ride and driving dynamics

Gas Milage

Pleasure To Drive, Nightmare to Maintain
By theyog

2004 Infiniti G35 Rwd 4dr Sedan w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This was my very first car, and after about half a year of research I bought one used in October of 2010. From everything I read, this car seemed to have the best balance of performance, practicality, reliability, and style. Although this car has many irritating problems such as poor build quality and horrific gas milage (around 15), I still love it and take care of it like a baby.

My favorite thing about the car is the sheer pleasure I get out of driving the car. The acceleration is excellent, the handling will pin you against the side of the driver's seat, and the brakes are so strong it's almost annoying. I test drove a BMW 330Ci coupe, Audi A4, Acura RSX, and V8 Mustang before I bought this car, and none of them were anywhere near as fun to drive. The styling is also very modern for a car its age. It has all the features of a new car in its class, such as smooth geometric lines, Xenon headlights, and LED taillights. I get compliments on the car all the time, some people even thinking its brand new. The interior is also quite luxurious and intuitive.

Now here are the low points. Just because the car is Japanese made, don't assume it will be problem free. It is not. I have put thousands into this car just to keep it on the road. The major components are all fine (engine, transmission, etc) but since I've had the car, I've had to replace the brakes, wheel bearings, engine mounts, several suspension components, rack and pinion, and several parts of the plastic underbody that keep falling off because of a generally poor build. Still, the Bose audio system has quit working on one side, the interior rattles, the car is leaking oil, the brakes need to be replaced yet again, and there is a frequent screeching sound my mechanic cannot figure out.

Definitely a Love/Hate Relationship!
By princ3ss

2004 Infiniti G35 AWD 4dr Sedan w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my a 2004 G35 back in 2008 from Carmax with 39K Miles on it. Because it was a "luxury" car I decided to put the warranty on it and thank GOD I did. The car had to go in the shop every three months for something and no matter what I took it to the shop for, Infiniti charged $500 to get it back. The brakes are a nightmare, along with the rotors and pistons! I really loved this car but the maintenance was just too much, I feel like the car was in the shop more than I was able to actually drive it, though when it wasn't in the shop and running smoothly, it was quite a sweet ride.

G35 purchased new. 75K mile evaluation.
By socialist_saul

2004 Infiniti G35 Rwd 2dr Coupe w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this car even though it's expensive to keep on the road. This model eats tires and brakes. I've been through 5 sets of tires and 3 sets of brakes, and one battery. Car has been dependable and trouble free since new. I just solved one of my biggest complaints 'gas milage'. Through performance tweaking I have increased my overall mpg from 19.2 to 21.27. Prior to modifications best highway mpg was 22.3. I recently completed a 2600 mile trip and top mpg was 25.5 and overall average for the trip was 24.31. The side benefit of the modifications has been more responsive acceleration.

Performance and handling. It's just a fun car to drive. I still look for excuses to take the car for a ride.

Most of the issues were resolved with the G37. I like the looks of the 04 better.