1999 Infiniti G20 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Good Car
By JK

1999 Infiniti G20 4dr Sedan

I bought my 99 G20 in Nov 2002, and have put 78k miles up to now. This car has been driven across the country twice, and never broke down, and is a very comfortable ride.

Favorite Features

Bose sounds system

Suggested Improvements

Just a tad more power

What An Underdog
By Deon

1999 Infiniti G20 Touring 4dr Sedan

This car has been everything I could have possibly asked for. I used Edmunds for the reviews, and they have been dead on. This car is built for longevity, agility and very good fuel economy for todays times. It's not a car you see very often, so it's almost like having a limited edition Infiniti. I bought this car with 142k on it, within almost one year, I have now reached 171k... not a single problem. Regular maintenance... I use full synthetic oil, amazing the difference it makes on performance. Great car, great value, classic Infiniti style.

Favorite Features

Spoiler, leather, fog lights, reliability, handling, responsiveness.

Suggested Improvements

CUPHOLDER! I've given up on trying to figure out what they were thinking. I just use my back holders. Turning circle, not as tight as expected for a smaller car, horsepower is good, but of course, more would be better.

Great Car!
By G20T Rocks

1999 Infiniti G20 Touring 4dr Sedan

I bought new in 1999. No problems other than routine. Car has held up exceptionally well for 9 years. If I ever had to design a car, it would turn out exactly like this. It's too bad they stopped making it - I'd buy it again if I could. Got over 150K miles on it and everything has held up well.

Suggested Improvements

Sleek design and extremely comfortable driver's cockpit. Everything is in reach when you need it - all the instruments, radio, etc., & even the back seat with minimal turning.

Best Used Car I've Ever Owned
By Cruz

1999 Infiniti G20 4dr Sedan

I used edmunds.com to view the G20 rating before purchasing a black/tan used G20 from a small dealership. The rating couldn't have been more true. I've owned the car over a year and a half with ZERO problems, even with a 130k miles on it. They told me it had a chain timing belt which is good for 250k mi. Great car, cabin noise is lower than my 25k '04 honda accord.

Favorite Features

Design, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

More cupholders.

Awesome little car
By Fran

1999 Infiniti G20 4dr Sedan

I love this car! With it's euro styling, comfortable interior and great cornering, it is a jewel. I researched many used cars before I found this one and I don't want to part with it. I've had this car for 5 years, it has 81,000 and it is still going strong with all power option still working, no rattles. Sound little car!!

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, beautiful styling, incredible sound system. It also has a nice heavy feel when driving, which makes me feel more secure. This car is classy! Great sun roof!!

Suggested Improvements

The engine is way underpowered. The good thing is that if you have a heavy foot like I do, you won't get many speeding tickets.

Where did the horses go
By ucgsb

1999 Infiniti G20 4dr Sedan

I bought this car off of the lot with 1.1 miles on it. I drive like an old lady. Extremely reliable. Well built, except for the fan motor that murmurs. It's automatic. I average 23.5 in the city and 34 hwy (I never go past 3k rpm). 140 hp would be enough if they improved the low end torque. The engine is easily modified to 205 hp with $$$, but this is what it should have been off of the lot, like the skyline, 200se, etc that use this engine.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable. A/C is excellent as are the heated seats. Radio is great. Great mileage. Only major repair was brakes at 40k.

Suggested Improvements

More adjustable steering wheel. More hp via aftermarket kits.

Great Little Car
By drhine2478

1999 Infiniti G20 Touring 4dr Sedan

Purchased used with 38,005 miles in December 02. Now has over 215,000 miles and is still going strong. It is a manual 5 speed and gets 30 mpg on open roads (typically cruise 80mph interstates). At 97,000 had a clutch plate issue - have replaced all brake rotors once - replace muffler at 210,000. Other than that it has oil changes every 5000 miles, along with normal maintenance. At 62 years old this will probably be the last manual transmission I will own but it has been fun to throw around the highways and byways. Note: wife had a 1999 QX4 Infiniti with over 200,000 miles also purchased in 2002 - hers had 67,000 when purchased. The G20t has been well worth the $13,000 I paid for it.

Favorite Features

Boise Sound System - climate control - 30 mpg on highway. Actually, out of over 35 autos that I have owned including BMWs, Cadillacs, Jags, MGs, Town Cars, various pickups, fords, Chevys, Chryslers, Toyotas, Volvos, VWs, etc - this has been OVERALL the best I have ever owned.

Suggested Improvements

Front seats could be slightly longer to give more support to thighs. It would be nice to have a 6 speed manual and maybe a 235 hp motor instead of the 140 hp it has - - OOPS! Now we are talking about the G35 which is also a great driver.

Fun car to drive
By ebok

1999 Infiniti G20 4dr Sedan

Have put 70K miles on this car;now with 107K miles. No mechanical problems, enjoy the drive. Gets 27 mpg.Roomy interior, decent leg room. Great sound system. Trunk space good.Power is good, only problem is occasional hesitation when stomp on the gas.Would definitely get another Infiniti.

Favorite Features

Reliable, great sound system. Adequate power. Roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders.In fact, any change would have to be an improvement. What were the designers thinking?? Would like to be able to carry CDs in the console.

Great Value compact car
By cruza30

1999 Infiniti G20 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for almost a year and purchased it because of the Edmund's review. For the price you'll pay for this used vehicle, you'll find reliability, comfort and decent styling for an older car. My only regret is not buying the touring model.

Favorite Features

Styling, Reliability

Suggested Improvements

Turbo would be nice

Love It
By jr

1999 Infiniti G20 Touring 4dr Sedan

We have a 1999 G20T with 130,000+ miles. We love it and have had ZERO problems. Thanks to this car we now only buy Nissan products. This car has become a commuter car, but we will keep it until it's dead. We have since purchased a 05 I35 and like it just as much.

Favorite Features

Sound system, style, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Size of interior and cup holders, it needs more cupholders.