1996 Infiniti G20 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific G20 model:
What an excellent car
By edgy on 10/10/13 08:06 AM (PDT)

1996 Infiniti G20 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in 2006 with about 117000 miles on it. I drove this car everywhere in the country. I used to do straight 1000 plus miles of driving on this car and I never had any problem. What a reliable and great car. It had close to 2250000 miles on it and it was getting old. Finally we had a major blizzard in the midwest recently and my car got stuck on the uphill and it started spinning wheels. I tried it too hard and it finally took me to home and next day it died. I don't know if it was a coincidence or it was its time, lost engine compression. Finally, I took it to Salvage Yard and sold it at the rate of scrape metal. The sweetest thing is it died on my parking lot.

Lots of Love for my G20
By nate45 on 09/21/12 14:43 PM (PDT)

1996 Infiniti G20 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my 96 G20 three years back with 118,000 and now have 160,000. It's been a great little car. I have had to perform a number of maintenance jobs on the car including a new water pump, new front axle and boot, new crank pully, and strangely one of my rear wheel bearings went bad. Other than that just regular maintenance. So it's not without it's faults. The car is quick, reliable and handles very well. It's fun to drive and for what you get for the price you can't beat it. The engine (Sr20) is one of the best engines of it's time.

MY BULLETPROOF G!
By Dame on 02/10/10 08:33 AM (PST)

1996 Infiniti G20 Sedan 4dr Sedan

i ran this car into the ground!! i bought it as an alternative to the honda accord of the same year because everyone in my area had hondas.. i found the leather to be flimsy (not even close to the quality of acuras)and it ripped easily. its small size and zippy engine made it fun to drive in the streets and around corners but its no race car at all but its definitely an accord beater! i never had any maintenance on it for the 3 years i had it. i bought it with 60,000 and put close to 200,000 miles on it before the engine went and i was a poor owner so i imagine with regular maintenance it would last forever!

Great first car...
By Death50 on 10/15/09 21:40 PM (PDT)

1996 Infiniti G20 Sedan 4dr Sedan

When I got my G20, it needed some work (new tires, struts, instrument cluster, battery) but aside from those repairs I have not had any trouble at all. It's great to drive and I enjoy the long distance trips in it. Could use a little more power under the hood but it still does great and doesn't cost me a lot at the pump. I'm very happy with this car and looking forward to making it a show car in the future.

'96 Infiniti G20
By Debbie on 06/20/09 10:49 AM (PDT)

1996 Infiniti G20 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Pearl White Infiniti G20 brand new in 1996 and I'm still driving it after nearly thirteen years and 269,700 miles. It has been an excellent car and quite reliable. No rust at all, no rips on the interior, original paint still shines. Very comfortable seats. Plenty of room in the trunk. I had to replace the engine at 190,000 and the transmission not long before, but still a very pleased G20 owner. The G20 runs strong but acceleration is slow. I plan to keep maintaining it and driving it locally. It would probably be fine on a long trip but now I have a new vehicle that my family prefers.

Not bad for 500 bucks
By Brian on 06/15/09 18:25 PM (PDT)

1996 Infiniti G20 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my cousin after she was rear ended, so the insurance totaled it. It was just a trunk lid and some light. Fixed it up for 80 buck (good old u-pull it). It had 167000miles and I had all the maintenance records. It has never had clutch, or suspension work. The only problem I have now is that the clutch is slipping, and the tach does what it wants to. Not bad since it has 202000miles on it now. I also don't know how you people drive but I don't jack rabbit start or drive in a lot of traffic so that is why I still get 24-28 in town and 34 to my best of 38 on highway wit regular. All I have to say maintenance, maintenance.

Very Comfortable car!
By Jadekitten27 on 08/06/08 19:31 PM (PDT)

1996 Infiniti G20 Sedan 4dr Sedan

In July I saw an ad on Craigslist for a '96 Infitini G20 for $750. I called, went to look at it, took it to my mechanic and bought it the next day for $500! It needed a few things to pass inspection, then after a 200 mile trip it needed exhaust pipes replaced. It seems to be good now, it has 189,7xx miles on it so it's no real surprise. But for a total cost of $1300, I love this car!

G20
By lewdacris813 on 06/05/08 04:54 AM (PDT)

1996 Infiniti G20 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my wife's car, I am more of a truck guy. The car is reliable for the most part. One time the spark plugs actually broke. I don't know how it happened but the car would spit and sputter so I looked it over and found the culprit. Other than that I have a broken collarbone right now so I drive it, and it is very comfortable we even drove it to denver without a hitch. Over all the car is a good but far from great.

Best built car ever
By scubabird on 12/21/06 15:28 PM (PST)

1996 Infiniti G20 Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought 1996 model new and aside from tires and a couple of batteries, over ten years of daily use, it has been completely trouble-free. MPG on the highway is in the low 30's on regular gas. Standard sound system is very listenable. Only irritation is that this car was not equipped with any sort of cup holder, a fairly amazing omission, considering its cost and year of manufacture. Nonetheless, I'd like nothing more than to find another brand new one that's been lost in storage over the last decade. A great car.

Hidden value
By surfdoggy on 12/21/05 09:58 AM (PST)

1996 Infiniti G20 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in Jan 97, it was the last new G20 in the Chicago area. The car has been incredibly reliable. No mechanical problems in 10 years, and still have original battery. Needed to replace muffler system because I drive short distances (condensation causes tailpipe rust when exhaust system is run for <20 minutes). The "market" value on this car is underpriced given its fantastic reliability. Bought it because of the highest consumer report reliability ratings, turned out to be true.