2004 Infiniti FX45 Consumer Review: Great Used Car Value

2004 Infiniti FX45 - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (4.5L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Great Used Car Value
By twitter.com/370z on

2004 Infiniti FX45 AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my 6yr old FX45 cash after selling my 350Z Roadster. Yes it reminds of sports car compared with an SUV, but if you own a sports car, don't think the FX will match it; it won't. The styling is polarizing, but I'm addicted to it, although now in 2010 it doesn't stand out like it did back in the day. I evaluated my purchase based upon proven Nissan reliability and longevity, bullet proof engine, purchase price vs. projected residual value when I sell; cost of taxes, registration and insurance; and available features comparable to new cars. I estimate that my cost to own for the next 5 years will be less than a tenth of what a new vehicle with similar features will be.

Favorite Features

I can haul my DH mountain bikes on hitch mounted rack, snow mode good for Rocky Mountain winters, 20 inch wheels are badass, Bose sound is bumpin', bird view navigation is sweet, set & forget climate control, addictive exterior styling, 90-100 MPH is comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The brakes are sub par. I'm installing a big brake kit; I'm used to the good brakes of a 370Z. It needs more power, but almost every vehicle needs that. If this were a 4.5Liter with a hybrid electric motor, it would seriously scream. Maybe in the future.