Used 2004 Infiniti FX45 Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Infiniti FX45 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Infiniti FX45

Base 4.5L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (64 reviews )

SUV hotrod
By Fortune 50

2004 Infiniti FX45 AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 5A)

Style and performance are the forte' of this ride. It has loads of technology and aims to please the youthful buyers it attracts. It doesn't have the road presence of my much larger Yukon, but the trade off is easier parking, improved fuel economy, and better handling. The exhaust note is music to my ears with the right amount of V8 bark. It has generous seating for four adults and reasonable cargo space. The navigation is one of the best available. The dual climate control is first rate and the backup camera is essential due to poor rear visibility. Just mash the go fast pedal before you change lanes to be sure there isn't someone hanging out in the blind spots. Don't worry as it'll outrun, stop quicker, and out handle all but the absolute top performing car from each OEM. All that performance comes at the price of comfort. Premium materials help, but a sport oriented suspension will transmit bumps. Very communicative steering is far superior to the latest numb electronic steering units on newer cars. Parts are pricey as befitting a luxury brand, but the dealership experience is worth it.

The latest update on this bionic cheetah is that it never feels cheap. Construction and high quality materials hold up very well. You'll be hard pressed to find a more reliable vehicle. The required premium fuel is the cost of performance. This isn't of any real concern for the targeted affluent buyers. As mentioned earlier the maintenance is quite high with stock twenty inch wheels and performance tires, large capacity oil changes, and well hidden service items which lead to higher labor costs if you have the dealership perform the work and you will want them to do just that. Infiniti was thoughtful enough to place an inspection plate that allows you to check the condition of the difficult to change air filter which I strongly suggest you replace with a long lasting premium reusable one. With our high snow fall totals this year it was easy to see that Infiniti did there homework with the AWD. When driven responsibly it moved in the direction you asked it too without drama. Much better than the old mechanical unit in my newer Yukon with aggressive tires. Is there anything this vehicle can't do well? Bruce Wayne should drive one of these. The one down side of this vehicle isn't a fault, but is the result of it's well known performance which leads to every boy racer to rev his little engine at a stop light hoping that you will stoop to his level and demonstrate what's underfoot. It can be quite annoying. Just turn the volume of the wonderful radio up a tad bit and you'll quickly forget he's there. Ah peace at last.

FX45 Heaven
By darkside80

2004 Infiniti FX45 AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my FX45 used with 80k miles from a private owner and loved the car.
I did have to replace the front wheel hub, but other than that it was a joy to drive and very comfortable.
I loved the sound system and the unique exterior styling.
I test drove the FX35, but found the FX45 to be more sporty and had great performance.
Gs mileage is poor in both models though.

Exterior styling and seat comfort.

Better fuel performance

2004 FX45
By fx452004

2004 Infiniti FX45 AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 5A)

Just purchased a 2004 FX45 early in 2011 and I'm so pleased with this [violative content deleted] SUV. Even though FX is 7 years old, performance and looks blows away newer cars today. About performance, this SUV moves and accurate. The 20" wheels like to grabs on to the street however Goodyear stock tires are expensive. May have to look into Yokohama to save $$$$. In addition I just wished I bought it for the price suggested on Edmunds however dealers said no way. Anyway I paid a couple thousands more but wife and me are happy like a bee with FX!!!

Great Used Car Value
By twitter.com/370z

2004 Infiniti FX45 AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my 6yr old FX45 cash after selling my 350Z Roadster. Yes it reminds of sports car compared with an SUV, but if you own a sports car, don't think the FX will match it; it won't. The styling is polarizing, but I'm addicted to it, although now in 2010 it doesn't stand out like it did back in the day. I evaluated my purchase based upon proven Nissan reliability and longevity, bullet proof engine, purchase price vs. projected residual value when I sell; cost of taxes, registration and insurance; and available features comparable to new cars. I estimate that my cost to own for the next 5 years will be less than a tenth of what a new vehicle with similar features will be.

I can haul my DH mountain bikes on hitch mounted rack, snow mode good for Rocky Mountain winters, 20 inch wheels are badass, Bose sound is bumpin', bird view navigation is sweet, set & forget climate control, addictive exterior styling, 90-100 MPH is comfortable.

The brakes are sub par. I'm installing a big brake kit; I'm used to the good brakes of a 370Z. It needs more power, but almost every vehicle needs that. If this were a 4.5Liter with a hybrid electric motor, it would seriously scream. Maybe in the future.

Highly Recommended
By Rcrain420

2004 Infiniti FX45 AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 5A)

I am due for a new vehicle, I hate that I need a bigger vehicle or I would drive the FX until the wheels fall off. Drives great, performs great, looks great. A++ rating.

Intelligent Cruise Control

It would have been nice to have the automatic windshield wipers.