Used 2012 Infiniti FX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Infiniti FX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific FX model:

Love my FX
By paulmiceli

2012 Infiniti FX FX35 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I've had my FX for about 2 years and I have about 30,000 miles on it. Overall I really like the car and I can't think of anything seriously wrong with it. I have the premium and deluxe touring package and I love the quilted leather and the 20 inch wheels. The navigation in my opinion works very well but I find it really annoying that its almost unusable when you're driving and I hate using voice commands. I think this car is good for someone who doesn't always have people in the car or need a lot of cargo room. The backseat space and trunk is descent but not great but it works perfectly for me. I also like that there's not a ton of them around so they're not so commonplace.

I LOVE the four cameras and the top view feature it works amazing and makes getting into tight NYC spots a breeze. I love the quilted leather and the cooled seats. The ipod interface also works very well and I like that it also skips by letter through the menus like an actual Ipod. My Acura doesn't do this and it makes scrolling through playlists really annoying and time consuming. The car is also pretty fast not quite as fast as my old BMW 535 but it definitely moves. The AWD also works very well and I had no problems even with the 20 inch wheels. The interior is also wearing very nicely and it still looks brand new my old BMW had tons of rattles and the plastics peeled.

The transmission can be annoying at times and between 30-40 mph you really have to slam on the pedal to get it going. Otherwise its smooth and quick. The floor mats seem very cheap compared to my old BMW but not a big deal. Allow the navigation to be used while driving or at least allow it to be used when it detects a passenger. The gas mileage could be improved but its not horrible I'm getting 17.1 mpg in about 70% city 30% highway. Maybe not share so many parts with Nissan there's some pieces that are exactly the same in my friends 25k altima when my car was double the price.

Solid, capable...but not exceptional
By in2themystyc

2012 Infiniti FX FX35 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Overall...like it. But, its really behind the times vis-a-vis technology and options. The motor, design, and fit and finish are all excellent. But, that teeny-tiny sunroof. Really? And the nav? Its horrible. I never, ever, ever use it. The ipod interface is horrendous. No cargo cover unless you pay for it? Cheap. Pay $45K+ for a vehicle and not get a cargo cover? Wow. The overall instrument panel is weak - same as in my previous G35. Boring. Zzzzzz. I don't know if the '13 improved these options or not, but I don't think so. You'd think with as great as this vehicle looks and drives that the attention to detail and available options would be better.

It looks good, sounds good, and drives good. And the Bose sound system is excellent.

Sunroof. Ipod interface. Instrument panel. Cargo cover. Nav system. All are weak, weak, weak. I'd expect this from a Chrysler or GM, but not a Nissan/Infiniti.

New model is cheap
By marcus428

2012 Infiniti FX FX35 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This is our second FX. Our first was a 2008 and we loved it! Fast, comfortable great handling and sounded great. The lease ran out so we got a 2012. Mistake. Infinity replaced the 5 speed transmission with a cheap 7 speed transmission. It robs power, is confused, shifts up and down at random and delays during quick acceleration (like when you need to pass a car). The manual function is very dangerous. When down shifting, the transmission disengages and the car free-falls for a full second until the transmission re-engages. Also, after 6 months there will be a foul smell from the AC upon start up. The dealer will recommend turning off the AC for a few secs every time you park. Really?

Great redesign of the dashboard. Love the 360 degree camera. AC seats are great in Florida.

Re-locate the side mirror controls from under the dashboard. Really? Bring back the signature throaty exhaust system (why did you design this out)? Put back the storage in the doors that were designed out. Put the old 5 speed xmsn back in. Get rid of the cheap plastic grill and cheap center console. Redesign the AC drain system so the mold does not accumulate and produce a foul smell. Hire back the design engineers that designed this SUV right the first time!

Less car
By merlin

2012 Infiniti FX FX35 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Our 4th Infiniti. Has 6000 trouble free miles.Replaces an '03 FX35 AWD that was trouble free for 115,000 miles. I rate the '03 as an A+ car, and the '12 as a B-. Handles well. Even with 7 spd trans, the mpg is exactly the same as '03: 19.6. Fit/finish in and out has suffered. The '12 noticeably cheaper throughout: floor mats, carpet, headliner, center armrest,wheel/tire size,chrome exhaust finishers. Car feels smaller than '03. Fold out door pockets eliminated. Adjustable center armrest eliminated. Throaty exhaust note eliminated. Dash design has gone down. Multi adjust seats very good,comfortable. Tech package very capable. A very fine car ('03) has been very noticeably cheapened '12.

Adjustable seats excellent. Nav package excellent. Performance excellent. Sound system excellent. Plenty of power points. Power hatch door excellent. The '012 still has good looks (tho toned down from the '03).

Why no capless fuel filler, which Ford Taurus has? Center armrest very clumsy to access/use. Restore the exhaust sound if only cuz it irritated Consumer Reports. And the first aid kit/owner's manual are supposed to attach via velcro on the rear wheel wells...really?