Used 2011 Hyundai Veracruz Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Veracruz - Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Veracruz

View reviews for a specific Veracruz model:

2011 Hyundai Veracruz -- Not bad at all
By joshregenold

2011 Hyundai Veracruz Limited 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Coming from the nightmare that was a 2011 Jeep Compass (read my review over there; what a disaster), the Veracruz is a dream come true. I've never owned a Hyundai, but the build quality is exceptional, the interior is roomy and comfortable, the ride is quiet and smooth on the highway (a bit rough at low speeds on rough roads), and the gas mileage is just as advertised. Driving 4,000 miles or so mostly on the highway (I do about 90/10 hwy/city), I average between 21 and 23 MPG. The third row is not bad at all, either. I regularly have adults at about 5'6" tall back there with no complaints.

Favorite Features

Third row seating, decent gas mileage with a large tank, many standard features (heated seats, XM radio, iPod connections, rear AC controls, sliding second row, etc.), proximity key, very quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Slight rattle coming from my rear passenger side door over rough road, the automatic tailgate could open and close a bit more quickly, the styling from the front is a bit bland, driver seat sits a bit too high if you are 6' or taller.

2011 Hyundai Veracruz Problems
By afred

2011 Hyundai Veracruz GLS 4dr SUV AWD (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Three days ago my 2011 Veracruz with 27K miles just quit while on the road. It had a total electronic chassis failure. First the ECM warning light and then all the warning light and then car came to a stop. Towed to dealer, the next day I was told it was a loose battery cable(??), strange since no one had touched it. Drove it out next day before I got into the freeway, same thing, car quit, same warnings. Towed to dealer. They said they had 3 code and it has a throttle position sensor, after they changed it they called and said that was not it. Need to keep the car and see what it is. Three days without a car, dealer has offered to rent one though. Car is totally unreliable to take out.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, good power, high fidelity XM radio, plush interior, good color scheme. Relative good handling with the all wheel drive, could use a bit more road feel in the steering though, the feel of the road is a bit vague.

Suggested Improvements

I think the electronic chassis is sub par. I also have had a lot of false tire pressure alerts that come and go during the 1.5 years that I have owned the car, once it was on the money and I did have low pressure in one tire, other times it were false alerts. Also, a couple of times the transmission locked and would not come out of park, had to turn the engine on and off a few times and play with it before it released the lock. Hyundai should improve on the electronic chassis of the car to make it truly as good as Toyota, or Honda products. My experience so far tells me different.

Like my Ride!
By cgarver1

2011 Hyundai Veracruz GLS 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

The Veracruz is a very nice car. There is some wind noise at highway speeds, but it's not to the point of being annoying. Just turn up the radio. There's lots of room inside and the interior is well appointed. I've had my 2011 for about 6 months and have had no mechanical gliches at all. I bought it late in the model year, so got a great price from Garber Hyundai in Saginaw, MI.

Favorite Features

Heated seats even though they are cloth. I prefer cloth and haven't been able to find them with heat anywhere else.

My New Veracruz
By cwilli2

2011 Hyundai Veracruz GLS 4dr SUV AWD (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

When I was looking to purchase a SUV I went shopping as most consumers do. Truthfully I went to Volvo actually liked the SUV itself but it didn't have the room I was looking for. During the process my daughter said mom you are a Hyundai loyal customer what are you thinking. Went to Rick Case Hyundai on a cold day. Salesman called me from outside telling it was cold to come in get warm and to tell him what I was looking for. I drove out that evening with my Hyundai Veracruz, everything they promised was delivered. I love my Hyundai and I love Rick Case.

Favorite Features

Warming seats, seating of 6 oops maybe 7. the leg room for me I'm a tall person. The dash board is awesome and to have a mood light in evening is awesome sometime when driving you have your fav music on yeah the mood light works for me. I'm a life time Hyundai person it delivers for me. This SUV uses regular gas good on milage, it informs you when you are getting better milage based upon road you are traveling. I can't say enough good things, but what I say is from the heart and true.

Suggested Improvements

To make the leather used maybe just a little softer to the touch. Bluetooth accessibility. I mean I can't think of a whole lot it's perfect for me.

2011 Hyundai Veracruz, Worst car I ever bought.
By george170

2011 Hyundai Veracruz Limited 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a new 2011 Veracruz limited and very shortly after I got it I started having problems. The brakes would make a very loud grinding and knocking sound, that is a safety hazard. The stereo system was not nearly good enough to pay the extra money for that upgrade. This car was taken back to Hyundai 5 times to get the brakes fixed. Hyundai sent a factory rep to look at the problem. This rep would not even take a wheel off to look at the brakes. All they would say is this is normal. I own another Vercruz and drove others and this is not normal. Hyundai never would fix the brakes. I had to get rid of the car before we had a wreck due to brake failure. I would not recommend this car.

Favorite Features

I would like to talk about favorite features but I did not get to have any favorites because of the trouble that I had trying to get Hyundai to fix a very serious brake problem. I would recommend that noone buy this car.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest that Hyundai should stand behind their cars and fix dangerous problems such as the brakes. The warranty that Hyundai has, has mislead me making me think this is a good car and the warranty would fix what ever is wrong with the car. I was very badly mistaken. I would very very highly recommend that Hyundai should work on their warranty and repair the things that need to be repaired and should be repaired. I would also suggest that Hyundai get much better reps that will actually help their customers, especially with serious problems like the brakes.