Used 2008 Hyundai Veracruz SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Veracruz - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Veracruz model:

Bought used still smiling 70,000 miles later
By carperson13290

2008 Hyundai Veracruz SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased the Veracruz (1/2011) with 23,000 to replace 03 Murano with 140,000 miles. I needed a heavy safe car capable of carting a lot of people but used primarily to commute approx 800 miles/week often in harsh wintery conditions. The car now has over 100,000. It's much hardier than the Murano (not as fun). It has been relatively problem free. The superior warranty is a huge help-(although less than new). I've had dealer problems-billed for covered repairs and most recently, when problems were due to known recall issue-stood my ground. I've replaced the windshield wiper mechanism-bought used. It is very sturdy safe car with great flexible space-I'd buy it again except they D/C'd it. Why?

Favorite Features

1. Safety: This car is massive. I've had mishaps- been hit, etc. and not even felt it in the interior. Has great safety features and is very stable in snow and ice. 2. Puzzling but reasonable gas milage:About 21 miles to the gallon whether driving in stop/go or highway. Isn't that odd? 3. Very flexible space:The 3 row seats can be configured every which way. Even the 3rd row is ok for adults but folded down, loads of space. 2nd row folds and splits. First row (nope you can't fold) allows passenger back to recline, etc. Rivals my old Saab in terms of flexible space. 4. Great warranty.

Suggested Improvements

1. Local Dealer is terrible. 2. Wish driver seat was positioned higher and more upright like the Murano. 3. Brand slow to adopt advanced electronics compared to car peers-no aux in 2008 for instance. 4. Not quick or energetic but does have a surprisingly small turning radius-a plus for such a large vehicle. 5. Brand has not handled recalls well-not notified of one that caused us problems-leaving us stranded because the car would not go into park, couldn't get the key out, esc light went on and cruise would not work-a known problem we were not told about-dealer tried to rip me off-he was surprised when I refused to pay for diagnostics.

Lemonade
By hyundaisux

2008 Hyundai Veracruz SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

What a disappointing piece of junk. If you buy Hyundai, you best buy two as one will always be in the shop. I made lemonade with mine!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Look to Lexus. Then start over.

You get what you pay for - no great deal
By captainkoz

2008 Hyundai Veracruz SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a 2008 Veracruz AWD fully loaded except for the nav. At first I loved it. It looks great, rides super quiet unless the road is bumpy, & seemed to be more than it was. Little by little it started falling apart & a lousy service department isnt helping my love for the car. At 17k miles the front rotors warped & (Dis)Advantage Hyundai in Hicksville NY wouldnt honor it. Really? Your going to fight me on rotors at 17k mi? 1st red flag. Then there were 3 recalls which I respect as a good thing, except even with an appointment they took way too long & in summary ended up leaving a cover screw out and cross threading 2 others. When I noticed the missing screw I was accused of leaving it out

Favorite Features

The ride is super quiet... until you hit any bump, rock, pebble or crack and the suspension thumps like you were off roading. I cant believe how poorly this car takes the bumps. The windshield wipers throw water right across your line of site. Did the designers drive this thing ever? The heated seats do not get warm until you get where you are going. The rain sensing windshield wipers are terrible at sensing rain and adjusting appropriate speed. My windshield always has too much water on it so I have to self regulate. The dash board is lit up like a Christmas tree at all the stuff that is failing conveniently just out of warranty at 65k mi.

Suggested Improvements

Line clockwork, 60,000 mile warranty period came and went and now by 65,000 I have a bad hub assembly (i never had a wheel bearing ever go out at 65K), and a whole dash board of lights for the Stability control, ABS, and the tire pressure monitoring system. Better yet a regular reader wont give you the codes. Its Hyundai's own special reader so you have to go to the dealer. Yeah right. Ill drive this hunk of crap off a cliff before ill take it back to those clowns. Bottom line this car sucks, the service at (dis)Advantage Hyundai sucks, and you get what you pay for. I thought I was getting a good deal instead I got the junk I paid for.

Great vehicle
By foz682

2008 Hyundai Veracruz SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I've only had it for a few weeks now, but so far so good. I'm getting around 19MPG with mixed driving. It has lots of little features that make life easier, such as the proximity key, power tailgate, cool box in console, placement of interior lights is grea,t very comfortable and powerful. The one this that does bother me just a little is that the rear dvd player renders your rearview mirror useless, it totally blocks the rear window when in use.

50K Miles and still love my car
By astralsqual

2008 Hyundai Veracruz SUV GLS 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Shortly prior to buying this car, I was doing a significant amount of traveling for work and so was renting a lot of cars. I had always been a honda fan, but was really dissapointed with the Accord. It just wasn't comfortable to drive. Then I had a Mazda, VW, Suzuki, and more, but I was most impressed with the Elantra. It had a great set up and was easy to drive. I went down to the dealership to look at Elantras and then I saw the Veracruz. I took a test drive and was blown away - So comfortable, nice set up of the control panel, just a really great vehicle to drive. I can't say enough great things about this car. Third row seat is just wonderful to have for carpooling with kids.

Favorite Features

Everything Third row seat Adjustable seat belts (I am short) No major blind spots (like my friends Dodge Journey) Bluetooth

Suggested Improvements

None