Used 2014 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2014 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Veloster model:

Fun to drive, annoying to maintain
By Mikey

2014 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Turbo 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I owned the car for two years now and my overall opinion is it is a fun car to drive around and open up every now and then but I'm becoming increasingly annoyed with how often the car develops minor problems.

This is the second winter in a row where the clock fails to keep the time after the car is shut off. I have taken it to the dealer before and they fixed it the next day with no problem. One year later, I am having the same problem!

The infotainment system is laughably pathetic. I've had nothing but issues with it. After a year of owning the car, I've had numerous incidents where the whole system would lock up and fail to turn off or restart. A few months later, I noticed the left tweeter died. Shortly after, the right tweeter died. After four or five trips to the dealer who couldn't figure out the problem, they finally determined the amp was at fault and they replaced it. I am not one to blast music- the volume never really gets above 12 on the car so please don't think that I just blast the music all the time then complain when the speakers stop working...

Aside from the infotainment, the windscreen area squeaks and creaks incredibly loud when the temperature drops below about 50 Fahrenheit. I have tried many times to remedy the problem with felt tape around the cowl area but have only had marginal success. This car is really not a fan of the cold!

Overall, I would recommend this car to someone who lives in a warm climate and doesn't mind a peaky engine. (The car has no trouble going from a rolling start up to high speeds in no time, but from a dead stop, you will notice a significant lag in power.) This may be the car for you if you want random people on the street commenting on your "cool little car" and asking "how do you like that thing?" It really does a good job at catching eyes of passerby's but has sadly lost my interest after 2 years of ownership.

Fantastic base, ripe for minor mods
By Anthony F.

I've had mine for a little over a year now, and still love it. It has some small quirks that are easy to fix with a bit of aftermarket, so the car is FANTASTIC if that's your thing. Easy to add power and handling capabilities, and the car takes them well. At 1 year of ownership, still have had zero mechanical problems that have sent me to the dealer. The car is fun and comfortable for cross-country driving, too. The MPG estimate is also pretty conservative, I average higher than EPA estimates.

Fun car but uncomfortable
By VaClassicrider

2014 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought used cars from 1988 until 2014 when I purchased the Voloster. The test drive wasn't long enough. Once I sat in the car for about one hour I notice the sport seat was just too small and made my drive uncomfortable. I loved the car but hated the seat! It was so uncomfortable I traded it in just 11 months. Never have I done anything that crazy but I needed comfort. If the car had a better seat I would still have it due to all the great features and gas mileage!

Great fuel mileage. Handles ok but not as well as my '66 bug. The display, blue tooth is good but doesn't make up for comfort.

Make the seats more comfortable.

Veloster No
By edward hong

2014 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

I own a 2014 hyundai veloster & after owning previously two other reliable hyundai cars, I have to admit this is a reliable car but it is also really annoying! My friends and i have complained that the door is too heavy ( it is the weight heavier than a truck door!) and when you swing it open if it is too pushed hard-it hits other cars or slams too wide, and when opened with normal verocity ( it swings back for a bit then squishes your leg), a lot of people i know have complained! Secondly, the car is TOO WIDE- it is impossible to park in a small compact space, even though this car looks compact and small. The designers and makers of this car were clearly not smart.

Make the door not as heavy! ( like the hyundai elantra or other hyundai cars that have similiar normal doors) and make the car less wide ( it is impossible and difficult to park in compact spaces for those who live in small apartment parking buildings!

Economical Unique Hot hatch!
By hero253

2014 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Turbo 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my veloster turbo a couple of months ago and thought it was time for a review. I have never been disappointed in this car and I love the way it drives. I average about 34mpg combined! And I still have enough power to accelerate and pass when I need to. The sound system is pretty good especially on xm radio. There is plenty of trunk space, especially with the back seats down. Everyone looks at my car as I roll by and I have not seen another veloster turbo in nor cal since I have bought it. I love that this car is really uncommon. From a stop, the car will pull you back into the seat as you race the engine! If youre looking for an economical car with some power, this is it!