Used 2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Veloster model:

Entertaining Little Car
By Mike_rg

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

I've loved everything about this car, and I've not had a single problem with it in my ownership. There are a few departments where it is lacking, namely it's lack of power, however this was to be expected with the range of cars that this is offered/compared as well as for the price. It is very comfortable to drive, maintaining it is a breeze, insuring it is cheap, and the warranty is wonderful. One of the only other drawbacks I know of is if you have taller passengers in the back, there's not as much headroom there.

Nothing but problems
By JT

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned this car for the last two years. Within a month of purchasing, I needed to have a new transmission installed. Within a few months of purchasing, I had to have my stereo/entertainment console replaced! It lags in take off, and will every now and then struggle to go. I almost got hit because of turning and this happened!!! I strongly recommend you steer clear of this car!

Loved. Bought. Now regret.
By John

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Turbo 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have a 2013 VT. If I knew then I would be financing a problem, I would have settled for some other hatch with decent MPG.

1st, the car rattles and creaks like its not screwed, glued or assembled properly. Get used to it. The rear hatch rattle is MOST LIKELY the rear spoiler nuts coming loose. Put some locktite on them and it should work.
2nd, be prepared to return the car MANY times for the factory stereo having issues. The paper speakers will tear, the dust cap (silver center) will come unglued, and the dealership will only glue it back together. Be ready for that.
3rd, expect the transmission to give you some times when it decides to do what it wants to do. Sometimes shift smoothly, sometimes shift abruptly. Dealership says its normal, and there's no issues.
4th, A/C control switch has issues. Mine at about 12,000 miles would not work on #2. Fine on #1 and #3, but to get #2 to work you had to hold it inbetween #2 and #3 position. Had it changed twice before 50,000 miles.
5th, My turbo went out at 64,500 miles. With cruise control set at 70mph on the interstate my turbo went out. Bearings started to make howling noises and the car had NO power. Took the car to a Hyundai dealer in Baton Rouge (on Hwy 61) and I was told "Its over-filled with oil, just drain a little, and it will be fine". Ha Ha Ha! Really? Took it to another dealership and they said the car has issues and they diagnosed it to be the turbo had a cracked shaft and bad bearings. Now, I am under 72,000 miles and the bearings are starting to make the noise again.

Dont do 'regular' maintenance on this car. Do PREVENTATIVE maintenance as well. I doubt I will make it to 100k on this car. I was informed its because it is a 2013 and that it has been straightened out by Hyundai for the later years. Good thing this is my last Hyundai, I wouldnt want to spend the time and money to test that theory.

*IF* this car had those issues above fixed, I'd say this car is worth each and every penny spent. It's quick, nimble, and a fun car to drive. Especially quick....FOR A HYUNDAI! I LOVE the sound system's audible performance. This is one of the best factory sound systems I have heard yet, better than the Bose in my Escalade.
If you want one, buy used. I cant even trade this car in, they only offer HALF of what I owe. I've seen some '13s for under $10k. Do yourself a favor, buy used or get a different hatch.

Veloster Turbo's craze
By Sandra Sartain

Love this car to death!!! I can't find but one thing wrong with it...
The freaking resale value!

Zip, zip, zippy!!
By Susan

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

My husband and I absolutely love this car! After driving suv vehicles the last ten years I had forgotten that a car could be fun to drive. This car is a blast!! Ours is white and we get loads of compliments on it. We primarily purchased it to save on gas costs as we are constantly driving our son to tennis tournaments around the state. It has more than enough trunk space to hold all his tennis gear and our baggage.
We do live in a rural area and I will say that you do feel any bumps in the road and I would not recommend it for any unpaved roads as it sits very low to the ground.
Would definitely purchase another one in the future, especially the turbo version because it would be even more fun than our little "zippy" which is quite light and quick.
By the way my husband is 6'2 and has ample headspace and our son is 5'11 and is relegated to the backseat. My son does say the only thing he dislikes about the car is getting in and out of it. My husband and I view it as a little extra "exercise" in our day.