Used 2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Veloster model:

Did I get the Lemon?
By toomanycats305

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Turbo 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Ok, I've read your reviews and it looks like I'm a loner out here that has acceleration issues all the time. I can't go 35 mph without it chugging and begging to please go at least 45 mph to get a smoother ride. I can't do that when I live and drive in a 35 mph zone. And it's in the shop as I write this since it choked up and literally STOPPED while trying to accelerate and pass on a two lane highway over the weekend. Now I know how head-on collisions occur!! The car is cute, comfortable and dangerous. I want to sell it or trade it and now feel stuck since I only bought it in Dec 2013. I should have wondered why it was still on the lot.There's a design flaw with the tranny and they know it.

Design is cute and has ample room inside

Do a Recall and Fix the Transmission issues!!!

Love it!
By A Mccloud

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Almost a year in and I am still smiling behind the wheel. I'm 6'4 and totally comfortable in this car. Great gas mileage too! So happy with it and hyundai service.

Looks, and roomier than it looks.

A bit anemic without the turbo, but great mileage.

A keeper
By Lisa Baillargeon

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback RE:MIX 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

We bought our Veloster in protest against the high cost of fuel. This little gem can go more than twice as far as our previous car on a smaller tank at 3 hours a day in both bumper to bumper and open road traffic. Love the design and low rider feel of the car as a driver especially, but our 2 preteen kids complain about the back seat being cramped and boring, and lack of plugins and lighting for their various electronics. A bit slow on the take off, and a bit of a sticky 1st gear that needs extra push on the clutch, but each car has their own personality. Could use a device holder and an under seat storage compartment in the front. Love the sporty look and feel without the high cost.

My favorite bits are the sound system, the way she curves and hugs the road, the sound she makes purring down the road, and the feel of the whole mechanic system doing exactly what I want it to do, and then some. I also really like the feel of the seat design, and the fact that everything doesn't rattle off its mark when the music is turned up! I like that the interior is basic black with minimal flashy bits, and the easy to use monitor system. My best love though is the fuel efficiency - by far the best investment as far as maintenance and fuel costs. Love the room it has when the back seat(s) are down - can even do a Costco trip! Fits into tight spots, maneuvers nicely, sleek to look at.

The front safety belts need a lower holder bracket under the mechanism - being a shorter person the strap tends to make its way up under my chin and I have to constantly re adjust - lifting the seat up makes it uncomfortable and prevents the reach needed to get the clutch down enough for 1st gear. The sun visors pretty much suck and look cheap - so I covered mine with a nicer fabric. The sunroof makes too much noise when open, and before we had all the windows tinted, my kids got sun burned sitting in the back on a hot summer day. My last least favorite is the center space - it should open to the side, the plug in is impossible to reach, and no usb in the back. Need under seat lighting too

Great value, but lackluster preformance
By bjperez007

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I've had this vehicle almost 2 years and have found it satisfactory. Cost less than comparable models and yet comes with all the the amenities that one could need: moon roof, bluetooth, Steering wheel controls, usb port, auxiliary port, and Faux leather w/ mesh seats. Sporty styling, but the third door makes it more convenient than your conventional 2 door coup/hatchback. At only 168 inches long it makes finding parking a breeze (Important in Brooklyn these days). Despite its small size, it has ample cargo room when you fold the seats down. However, the ride is VERY stiff and you can't open the windows in the rain due to leakage directly on to speakers (design flaw). Good value overall.

Bluetooth, small size for easy parking, ample cargo space for size, and exterior aesthetics.

Better ride (I know it's a sports car, but it's clearly a favorite among lower end urban dwellers so the stiff ride makes navigating these pot holes a nightmare. Fix the design flaw that causes water to leak directly into the cabin when opening the windows even slightly during rain. Bigger engine options would be nice too as the 1.6 Liter (turbo and non-turbo) seem to fall short of making this car exciting to drive.

Own 2 Velosters
By piratenut

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Turbo 3dr Hatchback w/Blue Interior (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I drive a 2013 Turbo (had it 10 months) and my wife has a 2014 ReFlex (1 month). We love them both. The turbo is perfect for me. Driving in a "hill" city the turbo gives me the boost I enjoy. My wife is perfectly happy with the basic engine. Both get great mileage. We have already had them both on mountainous road trips of over 1000 miles. Both averaged over 36 mpg in such conditions (highway and towns). On a highway trip only her's got 42 mpg. As "seniors" we are enjoying the youthful styling of the car. Her ReFlex is a beauty with the extra chrome and the Ice Pearl color. The car is a great value for its price range. I suspect we will be repeat customers.

Love the styling, economy, pricing, reliability and fun-to-drive feature.