2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Veloster model:
Clutch issues, warranty? Nope!
By benpl on 04/04/14 19:31 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Turbo 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My girlfriend and I both purchased new Hyundai's last year. Elantra for her, Veloster Turbo for me. After this, we will be trading them in ASAP! Highly disappointed in the dealer and manufacture support with my Veloster's clutch failures. I would assume the company would be paying close attention and offering more support and care for a new model release. Especially during the first couple years as quirks and arising issues are being worked out and brought to their attention. I will say it was a fun experience driving the Veloster Turbo but I can't say that about owning. My lady and I will not buy Hyundai's again after the experience we've been through and financial hardships this car caused

I love this little car
By builderjoy on 12/09/13 15:46 PM (PST)

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have looked at these for a while and driven several different types of cars, but this little guy is super, my grandbaby has his own back door, the airbags are superior. The value was great and I love it!!!!!

My first Hyundai
By penguin103 on 12/03/13 07:36 AM (PST)

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

This is my first Hyundai and so far, it's a mixed bag. I am in my late 30's and I wouldn't consider myself the intended demographic for a Veloster. Pros - The car is fun to drive, handles great, gets about 32 mpg average. Plus, the base model includes bluetooth, A/C, cruise control, XM and keyless entry. Just what I needed and nothing I didn't- well done Hyundai. Cons - There is a constant loud rattle/creaking in the dash/glove box area that is driving me absolutely nuts. I hate for this to be a reason I don't like driving it, but it's getting to that point. I'm going to see if the dealership can do something at my first oil change.

Great car for the money
By dcarr2 on 08/20/13 16:02 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

The 1.6 liter with 6 speed transmission works flawlessly and has all the power I need. It is super smooth and a real joy to drive in the mountains. I get over 40 mpg highway regularly. The touchscreen is VERY nice, and includes a Pandora application so I can stream Pandora from my Android phone via Bluetooth, and it shows the song and artist on the touch screen. I can even skip songs from the control on the steering wheel. As it has a USB jack, so, I can also charge my Android phone with the cable it came with, nothing extra to buy. My phone connects via Bluetooth and even imports contacts. I can answer and hang up calls from the steering wheel.

Drove it home today
By soyeah on 08/16/13 18:24 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought a black base with manual adding both the style and tech packages. I purposely drove it over bumpy roads to see how rough the ride really is. It really isn't. I traded in a 2012 Focus with only 12K miles, a tiny Sync screen with very complicated controls, the sh*ttiest plastic hubcaps on 16" tires, and an automatic transmission that made the Ford feel practically epileptic at times. Very happy with this Hyundai. Back up camera rocks, Bluelink is nice, Sirius is great, PLENTY of pep in the manual, and overall just a solid, roadworthy feel. Still getting used to the front end styling, but because of how nice and quiet the interior is, I'm almost oblivious to the eclectic exterior

Love this car!
By blantzy on 08/11/13 16:08 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Turbo 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love the look of the car - I have the orange one. I like how fast it accelerates and it gets good gas mileage. The technology on it is pretty cool - like satellite radio and bluetooth and being able to remote start the car. The heated seats are a plus, and it has keyless entry so I never need to fumble for my keys to get into the car. The keys just stay in my purse. One problem I had immediately after leasing it is that the sound system would make a vibrating rattling sound when I'd turn on the radio at a medium to high volume.

You will like this car, but might not love it
By paul_c1 on 08/11/13 14:59 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

The Veloster is one of those cars that will turn heads like the Mini Cooper did when it is re-released in the early 2000s. Stylish and different with a next generation interior, this car is fun to own. You will like it, but will probably not love it. Compared to the Mini Cooper, it's performance and handling is terrible. Even with the manual transmission, it is impossible to get enough torque out of the engine to make it fun. That being said, the panoramic sun roof, comfortable seats and great sound system help make this car enjoyable. An improvement in performance and handling is certainly doable. If Hyundai makes this happen, watch out.

Buyer Beware
By wearl on 08/11/13 12:58 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

Bought a 2013 Veloster in December 2012. Never owned a Hyundai anything but was struck with the MPGs, and the tech and sport package as well as the car's design. Then...problems and more problems. The car would stall and cut off on me constantly. Took it to the dealer they "couldn't duplicate the customer's concern" 6 times taken to the dealer! The car would cut off on me on the freeway, surface streets, gas stations you name it it stalled and cut off. I didn't realize that Hyundai was selling prototypes? I needed a reliable car...and this ain't it! Buyback here I come. Oh, btw beware of the Arbitration clause that you must do if you don't "opt-out" with 90 days of purchase.

Reviewers are wrong!
By rcarra on 06/14/13 18:20 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

I have to say the base veloster is a great car. I'm going from a 2009 Hyundai Elantra and have to say after 4 years Hyundai's styling and build quality has improved. The base engine is fine with six speed automatic and paddle shifters its like having a manual shift car. If you know about cars you would know a mushy peddle means mushy performance. This car has a hard gas pedal so it means the engine has power on tap. I only own it a day and have to say its nibble sporty and does have power on tap. So stop giving this car a bad review, most owners love the car like I do.

Awesome car
By s_giusti on 04/03/13 13:52 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

So I really like this car, I've had it sense January and already have about 10k on it. It is a very reliable and durable little car, I had someone t-bone me going 40 and the only damage it had was a little crack and scuff on the bumper. the backseat is also big enough to fit 2 car seats.The gas mileage is better than I expected also, I usually drive between 40-50 mph and I average 38-43 mpg. The highest mpg I've averaged was 51.2 with the Eco boost on. I would recommend this car to a friend and think they should make it in a hybrid because it would get outstanding gas mileage. It also turns heads when I pull up to lights and people surprised its my car and not my parents because of my age.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback in WA is:

$232 per month*