Very fun car, questionable quality
By rex81 on
2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)
First off, I really like this car. I bought it because I wanted something fun but practical. This is a perfect mix. The car handles great, the engine/transmission feels good, it has a TON of standard features, the full third door and roomy backseat are great for carrying kids, and the trunk is huge. I am constantly sitting at work itching to start my commute. Something I dreaded in my last car, a Toyota Yaris. So spending $18,000 out the door to get a car that does that is a really great value in my opinion. However, after driving it for 1,000 miles I'm questioning it's build quality. It's a brand new car so it's bound to have quirks, but it just doesn't feel as solid as my Toyota.
Favorite Features
Interior and exterior design is top notch. I love the way the car looks, I'm excited to spend time in it, and I enjoy pulling up in it. It gets a lot of looks. It looks much faster than it is. The features for the price are unreal. Tons of safety features and nice amenities, but what really sold me on this car is the standard 7" touch screen audio/video system. The bluetooth/XM integration is great and I love that I can plug in a video device. Blue link probably isn't worth the cost, but it's nice to have the option. The car handles very well, and the engine is smooth. The interior fits like a glove. Ergonomics are great, everything seems to be made custom for me. Great comfort!
Suggested Improvements
It's a pretty slow car, but that's ok. MPG are lower than advertised. It's possible to get 45 mpg on the highway if you're going flat at 65 mph. But bump it up to 75 and it's more like 33 mpg. City is mid/high 20s. Rear seat lacks headroom. Decent rearward visibility, but the drivers side blind spot is a little scary. Trunk won't accept a regular bike rack. The ride is loud and jittery over any pavement that is halfway rough. I'm already getting squeaks here and there. This scares me. The overall structure just doesn't seem anywhere near as solid as my Toyota. I'm nervous to think of how it will sound and feel after 100k miles. Still love the car, but not without it's faults.
By rex81
on 03/26/12 10:53 AM (PDT)

Any bike will fit in the hatch with a the front wheel off, so that's good. Still happy with this purchase. In fact, I have 10k miles on it now, and the squeaks have actually DECREASED. Every once in a while I hear a tiny noise, but for the most part, it's quiet. The rear suspension still feels cheap, because it is. An independent suspension would have been nice, but that would bring the cost up into Mazda3 territory. I still think it's a killer value and I can't complain about the things that keep it low cost.

By clschleg
on 01/11/12 23:19 PM (PST)

I would like to fit my bike IN the hatch...maybe pop off the front wheel and it should fit right? Mazda 3 has much tighter steering which I like but I'm with you...I'm not willing to spend a couple thousand more. Maybe I should be? Why am I a sucker for the cute factor on this car? I too worry a bit about the quality. My brother drives a first year Hyundai and he complains about the squeaks. I don't hear them when I ride in his car though. I worry about the poor stitching of the rear seats at the top corners. I think that will rip out and it isn't covered under the bumper to bumper

By rex81
on 12/21/11 10:17 AM (PST)

Updating after putting on 2000 miles. The car isn't slow anymore now that I got the software update from the dealer. Free of charge of course. This thing is actually pretty quick now. I'm much happier. There are still a couple of little squeaks coming from the dash but they're not that bad and they haven't gotten any worse. I was told my dealer can fix most of those anyway. Other than that, no problems, and I enjoy this car more every day. My biggest complaint is I can't fit a simple bike rack on it, but if I wanted, I suppose I could get some roof rails. I've adjusted my highway driving to maximize fuel economy. I now travel at a steady 68 mph to maintain 40 mpg. Any faster than that and it drops off pretty quick. But that's ok, I just leave 5 minutes earlier. I really like how this car feels behind the wheel. Would recommend this car to aging enthusiasts like me. Don't buy it if all you care about is practicality, there are better options out there. Don't buy it if you're only looking for speed. But if you don't mind giving a little up to get a lot back, this is your car. And it still comes in a few grand less than a similarly equipped Mazda3.