2012 Hyundai Veloster Consumer Review: Almost a 10

2012 Hyundai Veloster - Consumer Review

2012 Hyundai Veloster

Base 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual w/Black Interior)

Almost a 10
By j_denny on

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought the Turbo, it is quick, handles well, has all the features I was looking for and is fun to drive. The seats are comfortable, even after driving for hours. I tend to drive fast and this car still gives me good gas mileage even when exceeding the speed limit for long stretches. I've had it to 120 a couple of times, still plenty of throttle to go. I've had it for a few months now and have put 6,000 miles on it,

The car is cold natured - it doesn't perform well until the motor is warm. And getting it into 1st gear sometimes is a battle. Shifting up or down is easy - except for 1st gear.

Performance - when the turbo kicks in you feel it. The stereo is nice, bluetooth works well, it is comfortable and looks nice both inside and out.

What is with the shifting and 1st gear. Sometimes I have to double-clutch it, other times it slips right in - very frustrating. And I'm not too crazy about the 3rd door, I wish it was a 4 door so I wouldn't have to walk around the car to put something in the back seat. And I hate the Blue Link - nag-ware built into my new car. It reminds me about service, new features, old features, their internet site and a whole bunch of stuff I don't care about. I can't wait for it to expire so it will stop nagging me.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By j_denny
on 02/08/13 10:55 AM (PST)

As a follow up, the other day I slowed down for traffic at a light and when taffic cleared I couldn't get it into first gear. It took 4 or 5 attempts going from 2nd to 1st before it finally engaged. People were honking and I was pissed. So I took it to the dealer and complained. They test drove it, agreed it was messed up (probably the synchronizers) and ordered a replacement tranny. A few days later the part came in. I dropped it off, they took me to work and picked me up and the car is now a 10. It shifts the way it is supposed to, it's easy to get into 1st and downshifts easily when in stop-and-go traffic. I should have done that sooner. Makes me wish the ride to work was longer.