This car is a blast - surprised by some of the negatives out there...
By natefighter on
2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)
Didn't even know this car existed until a few weeks ago, when I went to a dealership to check out an Elantra. Went home and did some research and read some reviews - I have to admit I was leery. I commute 100 miles round trip everyday. I was looking to replace a 10 year old Accord. Also have 3 kids (one is an infant). I was looking for really good MPG and in this economy, didn't want to be dropping a lot of coin (read: VALUE) I went back and test drove the Veloster and absolutely loved it! Bought one. It really is a lot of fun to drive, regardless of the HP. the 6 speed manual is smooth. I easily get 30 city and 40-44 hwy (36-38 combined!) - after a solid month of driving.
Favorite Features
First - MPG. Second - Value. Awesome features are all standard. Don't have to pay extra for a high MPG engine or things like Bluetooth. Third, very roomy inside. Our youngest is still in a car seat, so that third door is a blessing - carseats in a hatchback/coupe is usually improssible. Not with this car. Nobody seems to realize the practicality of a full size extra door. Yeah, it seems weird at first, but after trying it out I really liked it. I'm 5' 11" and had no problem with back seat headroom - which surprised me. For the kids-its a no brainer. Forth - Fun. I love the look, the sport suspension, and the fact that it is way more fun to drive than your typical "commuter" car.
Suggested Improvements
More HP would certainly make this car even better. But honestly, if I had to pay extra for a turbo I probably would have passed on it. It just depends on what is most important to you. Not much else to complain about, really. I think a lot of people are really going to like what you get for the money. Don't get scared by the negative reviews out there - I was surprised when I read more than a few. I think you either like the looks or you don't. And if you need the HP, sounds like the turbo is just a year away... Bottomline - totally happy with my purchase and the drive to work has become a whole lot more enjoyable.
By gumbercules
on 01/17/12 14:32 PM (PST)

is your mpg from the computer or are you tracking on something like Fuelly? In any car, never trust the computer, always track it yourself either online or in excel.

By natefighter
on 01/25/12 23:53 PM (PST)

Nothing precise - did I mention I've got 3 kids? I am just referencing the car's computer and my typical driving habits. My commute is just over 100 miles total per day. I just rolled over 7500 miles since getting the car in early October. When I fill up I am adding about 10.5 gallons and I seem get about 400 miles per tank (The computer range resets to about 450 miles). The car usually ends up at 36 MPG and change. Over the weekend my city driving will cut it down to 33-34 MPG on the dash display. I am fortunate in that my commute is pretty flat. I've noted at 70MPH it says about 36mpg. At 65MPG it goes up to 38-39mpg, and anything less than 60 you are easily getting 40+. Still totally pleased with the car. Can't get the "Eco Coach" thing to work, but who cares.

By natefighter
on 10/02/12 23:44 PM (PDT)

Update: Almost had the Veloster a year. I've put on 26K of freeway commuter miles! No problems really - other than a gas cap that didn't seal properly once which caused a check engine light. Brought it to the dealer and they fixed it quickly, under warranty. The exhaust is a little sooty. Still get about 38MPH driving on flat road @ 75MPH. No problems with any of the electronics or transmission (mine is a manual). Freeway acceleration is fine - if you can drop it into the correct gear. 4th works nicely for freeway passing. GREAT CAR!