More than I expected
By velosterraptor on
2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)
I just bought my veloster 3 weeks ago. Unlike most people who have reviewed the car, I was looking for the baaase model. Which ended up being more difficult than expected. The reason for me wanting the base model was because of a tight budget, and knowing that the base model has more features than some mid level to higher end models of other "cheap" new vehicles. It drives great. It is sporty. It's not fast. But it also doesn't leave anything to be desired if you're commuting in it. It goes up hills and passes on the freeway just fine.
Favorite Features
The 7 inch touch screen is a standard feature. This is why I like the base model. Yes, fog lamps, moon roof, and navi w/ a better stereo are great. But coming from a car with no features, my base veloster seems "loaded" to me. The iPod interface is awesome. The album art pops up with each song. I also like the fun yet gimmicky econo driving games. The daytime running lamps are neat. Kind of knockoff of audi's led's. The manual is great and easy. I'm on the freeway a lot and am averaging 38mpg. I bought the car for $17.9k do it would take the life of the loan to make the extra money back for a prius. Which driving one of those would be the end of me.
Suggested Improvements
The ride is somewhat rough. Not intolerable, but it ain't a Lexus. The tires on it are economy ones which don't help with that or road noise. They're fine though. Second gear seems to lag for a split second right when you shift into it. Which is strange. Other than that I couldn't be happier. It's even more than I expected even my base model. Based on "professional" reviews I thought it would have no go. Which is false. It isn't fast. But it goes much Better than you'd expect a car that gets 40mpg on the freeway to go. And it's a joy in the twisties.