Get Compliments Every Time I Go Out in My Veloster
By dutchgirl22 on
2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Red, Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)
I bought my Veloster about a month ago. I traded in my 2003 Hyundai Tiburon which I LOVED for this car. I drive for a living so I put on about 25,000 miles a year and I need a small car for parking spaces with a large trunk for my medical devices, along w great gas mileage/good warranty/good price. I had a 4 cylinder Tiburon so I am used to the weaker power of the Veloster as well as feeling everything on the road (I feel less than w my Tiburon). My complaint is the MPG whether highway/city is NOT correct. I seem to have to get gas as much now as I did w my Tiburon that allegedly has 10-15 mpg less than the Veloster. I get compliments all the time and I do love the look.
Favorite Features
Exterior/Interior look; sunroof; third door; hatchback trunk; comfy seats; hands-free calling; GPS/ECO system; great price for all the features I got.
Suggested Improvements
The MPG is not at all correct; seeing a possible future "Honda" class action situation w/Veloster regarding the gas mileage based on reviews. I drive the speed limit all the time and I am still having issues w the MPG. I probably would have purchased the Genesis had I known about the MPG because that was my decision-maker.
By crzydmnd
on 03/28/12 06:13 AM (PDT)

What are you getting for MPGs? I'm averaging 33.2 MPG on my last 3 fuel-ups. Try engaging and releasing your hand brake and make sure your rear brake calipers are releasing (I've read on the Veloster forums that people in the northern latitudes are experiencing rear caliper sticking). Also, I recommend turning ECO mode off; all it does it hurts acceleration and I've gotten as good or even better gas mileage with it turned off. Hope that helps.

By nckiteflyer
on 06/04/12 12:34 PM (PDT)

Everything about this car I love EXCEPT the gas mileage. I got the manual transmission as they tend to get better mileage but to date this has not been the case. It is so bad that the first chance I get I am heading to a Hyundai dealer to have it checked out as it is that bad. The last tank I pulled off the interstate filled up and got right back on drained the tank and got 31.9mpg My old car had 198K miles on it and still mamanged to get 33 with a much larger engine and lots more power so to say I am disappointed is an understatement. I sure hope there is something wrong with it.