big sad surprise
By guga on
2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)
My 2nd review after I drove to LA and back. The milage was not what was advertised, even freeway. The interior is fine with the exception of the headrest. If you are a short person - be cautious. It is designed for tall people - 5'7" and over. But the most disappointing aspect is the power - or lack there of I thought I was breaking the demographics as I am older, but it really is a very very cute little old ladies car. I may be an older lady and there is NO power. Going on an uphill on 101, which isn't much of a hill. I will dread driving to Tahoe or Yoemite . Except for the looks that is A++, this car is a disappointment.
Favorite Features
The looks of the car is fantastic. Space in the cargo area with the seats down is quite roomy 3rd door is a great positive for rear access
Suggested Improvements
HEADREST must be fixed for shorter people Rear SENSORS MUST be included for safety Front SENSOR would be very helpful The seats are a little cheap looking and I would have gladly paid for an upgrade with out the moonroof POWER POWER POWER - but not require a turbo engine to get it. My 16 yr old Madza MX6 (also manual) has more power than the Veloster, for passing and going uphill I am so sorry to say how disappointed I am with performance when the design is so fabulous. Good looks is not enough, especially when the milage claim of 40 mpg on the open road didn't happen. Statistic below of 5'2 - 5'11 - is to big a range. At 5'4 - the headrest is VERY uncomfortable
By rf888
on 12/20/11 13:54 PM (PST)

drove about 120 miles on highway and got ~38 mpg. very happy.

By ecube
on 12/12/11 12:19 PM (PST)

I was very disappointed with MPG on Hwy we have never got close to 40!!it says community average 32 right on the computer...

By clschleg
on 01/11/12 23:14 PM (PST)

Is this computer software update/recall for the automatic too?

By rex81
on 12/21/11 10:07 AM (PST)

It's very sensitive to speed. If you drive 75-80 mph you'll only get 32-33 mpg. If you drive 60-70, you'll see 40+. As far as the power problem, there was a computer software update (recall) that fixes that on the manual transmission models, released around thanksgiving in the US. HUGE improvment. The car is much quicker now. Request it at the dealer and you'll be very happy with the results.

By priusenvy1
on 04/05/12 00:12 AM (PDT)

When I drive 75-80 mph in my 2007 prius my mileage drops 20%. Drive around speed limits or just above and you should get 40 in this car. If you drive with lead foot you are driving the wrong car.

By gumbercules
on 01/17/12 14:29 PM (PST)

driving 75-80 should NOT drop mpg by 20% unless its a poorly designed car. CVT's are great at reducing this drop as well. Check Fuelly(.)com for veloster and sonata mpg and you'll the avg is MUCH lower than advertised (~32mpg for veloster and ~27mpg for sonata).