Used 2012 Hyundai Veloster Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Veloster - Consumer Reviews

2012 Hyundai Veloster

View reviews for a specific Veloster model:

Most Helpful|
Very unhappy
By unhappy1980

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased my veloster 9 months ago and the vehicle is in the shop every other month for a problem. I've gone past the dealer and still Hyundai Canada is not doing anything. Its ridiculous on how they can sell a lemon and not take responsibility for there default merchandise. I cant even enjoy my vehicle and making payments on a car that spends more time at the dealer then with me.I'm very disappointed in hyundai and the customers satisfaction is there thing bullshit. Its excuse after excuse and they lie about the work they claim they did on the vehicle. Im extremely frustrated and ready to take further measures.

Quite Dissappointed
By mdub10

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned my Veloster since the summer of 2012. I really wanted the manual as I have driven stick shifts since 1994. Unfortunately this thing has to be built by morons. I have had navigation issues, massive creaks and squeaks that are completely annoying and now with 25,000 miles on this car, the clutch has gone out! Are you kidding?! I have driven numerous vehicles that were standards. I have never had a clutch fail. Not once in 20 years of owning cars. Hyundai is saying wear and tear and I have to pay over $1000. Once I get the quote from the dealer, I am going to fight this like crazy. The clutch is only covered for 12 months or 12K miles? Hmmmm...maybe they knew it was crap?!

Favorite Features

Get a lot for what you pay in bells and whistles - 22K got me panoramic sunroof, navigation, bluetooth, touchscreen, etc etc etc.

Suggested Improvements

Uhhhh...get the electronics down, the creaks and BUILD A DECENT CLUTCH!!! Good heavens.

Bad Reviews
By morseplace

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have read a lot of bad reviews on this car but I must say I bought my veloster brand new and haven't had a single issue with it. Yes the tires are garbage but you will find these crappy tires on many new vehicles. I haven't had to replace mine yet with 40,000km but maybe next year. I rotate them every 10,000km. My car has never been back to the dealership partly because I have never had any issues with it and in part to the fact I don't trust dealerships. So I do all my own maintenance. The fuel economy is great and having a manual transmission I am able to find the power if I need it. All in all I am very happy with this car!

Favorite Features

Heated comfortable seats, USB stereo, fuel economy, hatchback, handling

Suggested Improvements

better stock tires

Good little hatch with surprising room
By bretpk

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought the '12 Veloster in NYC and drove it cross-country to LA on my move, packed with two dogs, a girlfriend and more bags than I ever thought it could handle. I stopped mid-way on the trip at my parents' place and as I was unloading, my mother commented that it was like a clown car with the amount of luggage coming out of there. If you pack right, its' truly remarkable what you can fit. From a looks perspective, the Veloster was a little ahead of its time. People thought it was fantastic or ugly as sin. Now 3 years later I see a ton of them on the road in LA. Clearly, it's catching on.

Favorite Features

Cargo area, sunroof, handling, general comfort, surprising fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

Horsepower (improved in the latest models) is sub-par. Thank goodness I got the manual transmission so I can choose to push the throttle when necessary. MPG is great on the highway or in smaller cities, but subpar in busy, traffic-challenged cities like LA. I get 25 in town, 38ish on the highway, and 33ish in town in mid-size cities like Phoenix, Denver, Minneapolis. Interior is VERY easy to scratch...they used recyclable materials and frankly, it's cr*p. You can nick it with a fingernail scratch.

Do NOT buy
By frankg068

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

Bout the car early 2012 I had it for a week and on my way home from work it broke down less then 150 miles on it the transmission went out, they had if for a month replaced it 2 weeks later it goes out again and once again they have it for over a month fixing it. I got it back had it for almost 2 months and im going down the highway and my car starts smoking and then shuts off a tow truck comes and gets it brings it to the dealer and they said my engine cracked... i called hyundai and it took me 2 months to get anything done they game me a new one after all that had it for 3 days and my trans went out... gave up traded it for a good car.

Favorite Features

the radio head unit is nice but the sound quality was less then desirable, the seats are comfortable

Suggested Improvements

everything the car sucks they spent all the money making the inside and outside look good and spent nothing on the actual car to make it a good car it had a 100,000 mile warranty because your going to need it