Used 2012 Hyundai Veloster Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Veloster - Consumer Reviews

2012 Hyundai Veloster

View reviews for a specific Veloster model:

No Go
By stoz

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

I've had my Veloster for a little over a year and have driven 37,000 miles with it.
I purchased this car because I needed something with great fuel economy, which I believe I got with the Veloster.
It looks cool and looks like it would be fun to drive.
It is neither.
When I test drove the car I figured I could get used to the power issue and just thought of all the money I would be saving in gas.
The trade off was not worth it.
Update:
Traded the car in after a year and a half of ownership for a used Audi A3. After much more research the Veloster would be one of the last cars I would choose if I could do it all over again.

Very unhappy
By unhappy1980

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased my veloster 9 months ago and the vehicle is in the shop every other month for a problem.
I've gone past the dealer and still Hyundai Canada is not doing anything.
Its ridiculous on how they can sell a lemon and not take responsibility for there default merchandise.
I cant even enjoy my vehicle and making payments on a car that spends more time at the dealer then with me.I'm very disappointed in hyundai and the customers satisfaction is there thing bullshit. Its excuse after excuse and they lie about the work they claim they did on the vehicle.
Im extremely frustrated and ready to take further measures.

Buyer Beware
By madnmas1

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

My husband bought the Veloster in 2012. He needed a car that had good gas mileage but with a somewhat sporty look. To give you an idea, next month will be a year and it already has 25k miles on it. Long story short within one week the car died, antifreeze everywhere, and they had to replace the gasket. It started shaking real bad and Hyundai did not want to let us trade it in. We went the BBB route and did not win. Took it in recently for FOUR recalls..the sunroof is known to shatter at high way speeds, the rear calibers had to be replaced and were a safety issue, the mileage was misadvertised and now we get a refund check for mileage every so often Buyer Beware. Run as fast as you can.

Exactly what I wanted/expected
By vmotion

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I wanted looks, and MPGs.
That's what I exactly what I got.
You want power, then get the turbo.
If I want 'fast', I'll take the '66 Mustang for a spin.
This car looks hot, handles great, and is everything I expected.
Powered by a 1.6, I didn't expect a pace car.
My previous car was a
non-turbo Mini Cooper, and I find this one to be just as much fun.

Steering wheel controls are great. Radio and cruise control laid out perfect. Bluetooth paired easily, and is very clear on both sides of the conversation. MPG was just as expected. While others seem to vary, I was able to get over 40mpg when I drove conservatively. 37mpg when I was more agressive.

Seats are comfy, and back support is good, but seat bottoms seem have weak cushions. Maybe it's just my backside, but looks like there's a crater where I sat when I get out of the car (and I only weigh 155 lbs.)

Almost a 10
By j_denny

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought the Turbo, it is quick, handles well, has all the features I was looking for and is fun to drive. The seats are comfortable, even after driving for hours. I tend to drive fast and this car still gives me good gas mileage even when exceeding the speed limit for long stretches. I've had it to 120 a couple of times, still plenty of throttle to go. I've had it for a few months now and have put 6,000 miles on it,

The car is cold natured - it doesn't perform well until the motor is warm. And getting it into 1st gear sometimes is a battle. Shifting up or down is easy - except for 1st gear.

Performance - when the turbo kicks in you feel it. The stereo is nice, bluetooth works well, it is comfortable and looks nice both inside and out.

What is with the shifting and 1st gear. Sometimes I have to double-clutch it, other times it slips right in - very frustrating. And I'm not too crazy about the 3rd door, I wish it was a 4 door so I wouldn't have to walk around the car to put something in the back seat. And I hate the Blue Link - nag-ware built into my new car. It reminds me about service, new features, old features, their internet site and a whole bunch of stuff I don't care about. I can't wait for it to expire so it will stop nagging me.