2012 Hyundai Veloster Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Veloster - Consumer Reviews

2012 Veloster Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Veloster model:

Sort Reviews by

First Time Buyer - Worst Purchase Ever!!!
By wendeez

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

Where do I even begin... Bought my Veloster June 2012 and have put about 22,000 miles on it since then. 19 days after having the vehicle I was going down a major highway when my sunroof shattered on me. Glass EVERYWHERE! Dealership claimed that it was my fault but "since I am a first time buyer they would pick up on the cost". Dealership had my car for 14 days and I had to battle with them to get a renal car. Since then I have had it in the shop to replace the Climate Control Unit and the third time fixing the touch screen radio unit. Bought this car because I thought it would be reliable, great gas mileage, and fun to drive.... Boy was I wrong on that! Waiting for Lemon Law to take it away!

Favorite Features

It is a unique looking vehicle

Suggested Improvements

Hyundai has a great 100,000 mile warranty... And now I can see why! I bought a brand new vehicle because I needed something reliable and affordable. With all the issues I have had with this car it is considered more of a liability than a reliable vehicle! I would suggest this car to anyone who would wants a unreliable vehicle! It has been in the shop more times than my 2002 Ford Focus has. My suggestion would be BUY A CIVIC! They hold their value and have excellent reviews!

Do NOT buy
By frankg068

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

Bout the car early 2012 I had it for a week and on my way home from work it broke down less then 150 miles on it the transmission went out, they had if for a month replaced it 2 weeks later it goes out again and once again they have it for over a month fixing it. I got it back had it for almost 2 months and im going down the highway and my car starts smoking and then shuts off a tow truck comes and gets it brings it to the dealer and they said my engine cracked... i called hyundai and it took me 2 months to get anything done they game me a new one after all that had it for 3 days and my trans went out... gave up traded it for a good car.

Favorite Features

the radio head unit is nice but the sound quality was less then desirable, the seats are comfortable

Suggested Improvements

everything the car sucks they spent all the money making the inside and outside look good and spent nothing on the actual car to make it a good car it had a 100,000 mile warranty because your going to need it

unhappy
By jverjano

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

I've had my veloster for about a year now and 17800 miles. I am always having transmission problems my local dealer doesn't do anything about. I've been dealing with Hyundai Corp not much help either. my steering wheel I've changed two time already because the leather keeps peeling off. My radio gives me issues at time to.

No Go
By stoz

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

I've had my Veloster for a little over a year and have driven 37,000 miles with it. I purchased this car because I needed something with great fuel economy, which I believe I got with the Veloster. It looks cool and looks like it would be fun to drive. It is neither. When I test drove the car I figured I could get used to the power issue and just thought of all the money I would be saving in gas. The trade off was not worth it.

Favorite Features

It looks cool

Suggested Improvements

Now that they have the Turbo out they should take it a step further and come out with something that could compete with a GTI or Mazdaspeed3.

Very unhappy
By unhappy1980

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased my veloster 9 months ago and the vehicle is in the shop every other month for a problem. I've gone past the dealer and still Hyundai Canada is not doing anything. Its ridiculous on how they can sell a lemon and not take responsibility for there default merchandise. I cant even enjoy my vehicle and making payments on a car that spends more time at the dealer then with me.I'm very disappointed in hyundai and the customers satisfaction is there thing bullshit. Its excuse after excuse and they lie about the work they claim they did on the vehicle. Im extremely frustrated and ready to take further measures.

Buyer Beware
By madnmas1

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

My husband bought the Veloster in 2012. He needed a car that had good gas mileage but with a somewhat sporty look. To give you an idea, next month will be a year and it already has 25k miles on it. Long story short within one week the car died, antifreeze everywhere, and they had to replace the gasket. It started shaking real bad and Hyundai did not want to let us trade it in. We went the BBB route and did not win. Took it in recently for FOUR recalls..the sunroof is known to shatter at high way speeds, the rear calibers had to be replaced and were a safety issue, the mileage was misadvertised and now we get a refund check for mileage every so often Buyer Beware. Run as fast as you can.

Exactly what I wanted/expected
By vmotion

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I wanted looks, and MPGs. That's what I exactly what I got. You want power, then get the turbo. If I want 'fast', I'll take the '66 Mustang for a spin. This car looks hot, handles great, and is everything I expected. Powered by a 1.6, I didn't expect a pace car. My previous car was a non-turbo Mini Cooper, and I find this one to be just as much fun.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel controls are great. Radio and cruise control laid out perfect. Bluetooth paired easily, and is very clear on both sides of the conversation. MPG was just as expected. While others seem to vary, I was able to get over 40mpg when I drove conservatively. 37mpg when I was more agressive.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are comfy, and back support is good, but seat bottoms seem have weak cushions. Maybe it's just my backside, but looks like there's a crater where I sat when I get out of the car (and I only weigh 155 lbs.)

Almost a 10
By j_denny

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought the Turbo, it is quick, handles well, has all the features I was looking for and is fun to drive. The seats are comfortable, even after driving for hours. I tend to drive fast and this car still gives me good gas mileage even when exceeding the speed limit for long stretches. I've had it to 120 a couple of times, still plenty of throttle to go. I've had it for a few months now and have put 6,000 miles on it, The car is cold natured - it doesn't perform well until the motor is warm. And getting it into 1st gear sometimes is a battle. Shifting up or down is easy - except for 1st gear.

Favorite Features

Performance - when the turbo kicks in you feel it. The stereo is nice, bluetooth works well, it is comfortable and looks nice both inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

What is with the shifting and 1st gear. Sometimes I have to double-clutch it, other times it slips right in - very frustrating. And I'm not too crazy about the 3rd door, I wish it was a 4 door so I wouldn't have to walk around the car to put something in the back seat. And I hate the Blue Link - nag-ware built into my new car. It reminds me about service, new features, old features, their internet site and a whole bunch of stuff I don't care about. I can't wait for it to expire so it will stop nagging me.

Good car for the money
By tri4

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

I have 11500 miles on my veloster and I believe its everything as advertised. I get about 36 MPG 20% city 80% highway. The interior is cheesy, easy to scratch but what should you expect for the money. Bluetooth works well except when you have 2 phones stored it when you start off it looks for the last one that was stored, fails so you have to mannually connect it. When the moon roof is open it is very loud. The stereo system is good and the ride is smooth. The handling is as good as a mazda miata but the pickup from start is slow but to be expected from a 1.6L. Overall I am very pleased with the vehicle.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, Gas miliage and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Interior material that is not so easy to scratch on dash and door panels. change in bluetooth software so that it gives you a choice which phone you want to connect. have the moon roof when opened slide into the roof panel instead on lifting up into the wind creating drag and lots of noise. Larger windows in the back sides as to create less blind spots.

Mad, sad,the worst car ever!! Do not buy
By inot34

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Red, Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Bought the car 10 month ago , problems since the beginning !! Already been on the warranty 9 times ,replaced the navigation sistem after 3 fix, rear bumper replaced by the warranty after being melted by the exhaust , melting again btw , engine light on 8 times !the gas meter on the tank has been replaced , damaged again btw !the car shakes like a train after 75 miles !! And hyunday don't pay for the rentals so paying a car monthly plus a rental Evry month ! For a week while the car is on service ! Do not buy ! Still waiting for hyunday to buy it back ! First time ever reviewing I hate complaining , but this is to much ! This car is a joke! I should of stay with Honda .

Favorite Features

Looks cool !! Every body on the street like it !!

Suggested Improvements

Everything !!