Used 2012 Hyundai Veloster Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Veloster - Consumer Reviews

2012 Hyundai Veloster

View reviews for a specific Veloster model:

So much wrong with this car I can't even sell it.
By Kyle smith

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

My veloster has 50,000 miles on it and to paint a picture of how bad this car is ill name off all the things wrong with it.
1. The parking break doesn't work at all anymore
2. The sunroof has a whistle at highway speeds so I have to keep the cloth part shut
3. I have to skip fourth gear when accelerating because it grinds every time I try
4. I have to push the cruise control button anywhere from 1-15 times to get it to actually turn on
5. The steering wheel wrap has been peeling up since 20,000 miles
6. I had to tear the passenger handle costing off because it slightly pealed up and cut my friends finger
7. I had to replace the tires at 30,000 miles
8. Two speakers have blown
9. To hit a button on the navigation you have to press and inch below the button you want and hard
10. The sunvisor won't stay up. The piece that makes the visor hold itself up whenever you move it completely locked up and broke trying to put the visor up
11. The silver piece that goes over the parking break button for looks just fell off one day

This car was obviously poorly designed and then built with poor materials as quickly as possible. I wish that I could get rid of it but who would be a 2012 with 50000 miles with these kinds of problems already showing themselves.

Worst car I've ever owned.
By Mika

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Red, Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

My sunroof shattered on me (while I had it open) it completely cut me up(face legs arms) when I took it in to get it fixed they said this had only happen to one other car, my car was returned to me the next day with all of my sunroof glass still inside my car and seats. I keep my car spotless and it had whatever they used to seal the sunroof on all over it. It looked like I had never washed my car ever in its life. I complained and refused to take the vehicle until it was completely detailed and glass was out of it. (Which took them 3 days) then 3 months later I got the recall letter on my sunroof.
I also got my recall for the e-brake which seemed to me to be working fine. Took it in and got it fixed.
I drive a manual and the gears grind all the time and I have the hardest time getting it into reverse/1st/2nd gear. Took it in as well and they told me nothing was wrong with the car that it was the driver.
This year in June, I was at work and my car was parked, left in gear and with the e-brake up. I had an officer come pull me out of work saying my car had rolled into another car behind me because I forgot to put the e-brake up. He then walked with me to my car as I unlocked the doors he looked inside to see that my car was in gear with the e-brake up as far as it would go. Called Hyundai and took it in and they told me nothing was wrong with my car.

My radio/touch screen has then decided to work on and off since backing up into the other vehicle. At times it won't turn on even after restarting the vehicle. And will randomly come on halfway to your destination. Hyundai also won't take fault for this. Hyundai is THE WORST car maker I have ever dealt with. I refuse to even look or buy another Hyundai vehicle.

Warranty is useless if dealer fails to perform work
By daviator

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

The car if fun and sporty but I have had some issues.

The dual clutch for AT sometimes grinds when shifting. Transmission is very jerky in stop-and-go traffic.

The real problem is with Hyundai, its dealers and its "warranty".

Twice my car was in for an intermittent problem misaligned touch screen. Each time the dealerships (I tried two) claimed to have applied a software fix.

After the problem began again I took it to a third dealer who stated that the fixed were never actually applied.

Now the radio is out of warranty (it's only 3/36) but Hyundai refuses to cover the fix even though promised work under warranty was never performed.

fun, unique looking, sportyish for an econobox.

Honor the warranty. Make sure the dealers are doing the work they are charging you to do.

Bad Reviews
By morseplace

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have read a lot of bad reviews on this car but I must say I bought my veloster brand new and haven't had a single issue with it. Yes the tires are garbage but you will find these crappy tires on many new vehicles. I haven't had to replace mine yet with 40,000km but maybe next year. I rotate them every 10,000km. My car has never been back to the dealership partly because I have never had any issues with it and in part to the fact I don't trust dealerships. So I do all my own maintenance. The fuel economy is great and having a manual transmission I am able to find the power if I need it. All in all I am very happy with this car!

Heated comfortable seats, USB stereo, fuel economy, hatchback, handling

better stock tires

Good little hatch with surprising room
By bretpk

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought the '12 Veloster in NYC and drove it cross-country to LA on my move, packed with two dogs, a girlfriend and more bags than I ever thought it could handle. I stopped mid-way on the trip at my parents' place and as I was unloading, my mother commented that it was like a clown car with the amount of luggage coming out of there. If you pack right, its' truly remarkable what you can fit.

From a looks perspective, the Veloster was a little ahead of its time. People thought it was fantastic or ugly as sin. Now 3 years later I see a ton of them on the road in LA. Clearly, it's catching on.

Cargo area, sunroof, handling, general comfort, surprising fit and finish.

Horsepower (improved in the latest models) is sub-par. Thank goodness I got the manual transmission so I can choose to push the throttle when necessary. MPG is great on the highway or in smaller cities, but subpar in busy, traffic-challenged cities like LA. I get 25 in town, 38ish on the highway, and 33ish in town in mid-size cities like Phoenix, Denver, Minneapolis. Interior is VERY easy to scratch...they used recyclable materials and frankly, it's cr*p. You can nick it with a fingernail scratch.