2012 Hyundai Veloster - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Veloster model:
Exactly what I wanted/expected
By vmotion on 01/08/13 18:02 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I wanted looks, and MPGs. That's what I exactly what I got. You want power, then get the turbo. If I want 'fast', I'll take the '66 Mustang for a spin. This car looks hot, handles great, and is everything I expected. Powered by a 1.6, I didn't expect a pace car. My previous car was a non-turbo Mini Cooper, and I find this one to be just as much fun.

Almost a 10
By j_denny on 12/10/12 10:56 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought the Turbo, it is quick, handles well, has all the features I was looking for and is fun to drive. The seats are comfortable, even after driving for hours. I tend to drive fast and this car still gives me good gas mileage even when exceeding the speed limit for long stretches. I've had it to 120 a couple of times, still plenty of throttle to go. I've had it for a few months now and have put 6,000 miles on it, The car is cold natured - it doesn't perform well until the motor is warm. And getting it into 1st gear sometimes is a battle. Shifting up or down is easy - except for 1st gear.

Good car for the money
By tri4 on 10/17/12 14:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

I have 11500 miles on my veloster and I believe its everything as advertised. I get about 36 MPG 20% city 80% highway. The interior is cheesy, easy to scratch but what should you expect for the money. Bluetooth works well except when you have 2 phones stored it when you start off it looks for the last one that was stored, fails so you have to mannually connect it. When the moon roof is open it is very loud. The stereo system is good and the ride is smooth. The handling is as good as a mazda miata but the pickup from start is slow but to be expected from a 1.6L. Overall I am very pleased with the vehicle.

Mad, sad,the worst car ever!! Do not buy
By inot34 on 09/23/12 23:16 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Red, Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Bought the car 10 month ago , problems since the beginning !! Already been on the warranty 9 times ,replaced the navigation sistem after 3 fix, rear bumper replaced by the warranty after being melted by the exhaust , melting again btw , engine light on 8 times !the gas meter on the tank has been replaced , damaged again btw !the car shakes like a train after 75 miles !! And hyunday don't pay for the rentals so paying a car monthly plus a rental Evry month ! For a week while the car is on service ! Do not buy ! Still waiting for hyunday to buy it back ! First time ever reviewing I hate complaining , but this is to much ! This car is a joke! I should of stay with Honda .

Complete Disappointment
By bretp21 on 09/12/12 11:22 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I've had my Veloster for 4 months now and I've had nothing but issues. The transmission has a design flaw which causes a lag in between 1 and 2. The check engine light kept lighting up like a Christmas tree with only 800 miles on it. The interior, although beautiful, is super squeaky when driving. The stereo will randomly lock on the screensaver and not work for hours at a time. And now my engine is starting to sputter randomly like it's not getting fuel. After driving used cars all my life, this was my first new car and I couldn't be more disappointed. It's had more issues than any used car I've ever owned and it's brand new. The worst part? Hyundai doesn't care.

Great car but...
By bykdude on 09/08/12 14:30 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

I've had this little guy since April this year (about 6K mileage) and for the most part has met expectations. Very comfy ride and maneuverability. Depending upon highway surface, you may experience some side to side drifting. Just hang onto the steering wheel. Don't know if it's the tires or not. Like most other reviews, the one exception is the power perfomance factor. All I can say is if you want power, get a V8 cause this little guy is a dog; if you want mileage get this car. I'm averaging roughly 37 mpg but I do mostly highway driving. All in all a good buy but consider giving up some mpg for a little more power if that's important.

MY FAVORITE WORK OF ART
By mjsykes on 08/27/12 14:10 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

During my new car search, I read many reviews/articles comparing the most efficient gas sippers. The Veloster was not mentioned. Why? Perhaps the Veloster is so beautiful and fun that it seems more natural to compare it to sports cars. But the Veloster is not a sports car; it is the coolest economy car you can buy! The Veloster offers generous features and quality for your money. However, it is the car's sexy and innovative design that sets it apart. The Veloster is BEAUTIFUL! Strangers frequently approach me with compliments about my car's appearance, wanting to know more about it. I enjoy looking at my car as much as driving it. Like a work of art, the Veloster lifts my spirit.

Terribly Unreliable, but wonderful dealer service
By jnall on 08/22/12 20:00 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I've got a marathon blue luxury package with an automatic that's been plagued with gremlins. The A/V system has been replaced but random transmission problems persist (DCT). On two occasions now the transmission has stopped working. Once the car would not move from a stop despite trying drive and reverse and everything in between. Today the vehicle spontaneously went into neutral at about 30 mph. After coasting to about 5 MPH the car started moving again. I plugged in my iPhone to the A/V system once and it never worked again. Hyundai was nice enough to pay for a new phone. We have two velosters--our second one is great.

After 3 months, could not live with the lack of power
By rskdsk on 07/26/12 19:21 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Red, Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

In general it is a nice car, but the lack of power is just not something I can handle any longer. If you live in a place were you need to pull out into traffic ... DO NOT BUY THIS CAR ... or you will cause an accident. I got the fully loaded model with the tech and appearance package, moon roof, etc... but could not get home-link. The nav is easy to use with good graphics, the ride is ok, but sloppy when push to it's limits. The 38 mpg is only achieved when light-footed on the highway, otherwise the true milage is 27-28. In summary, I thought by buying a fully loaded model would somehow compensate for the lack of power ... I was wrong.

Swindled
By bds2 on 07/12/12 13:50 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

Had it in 6 times to fix the Blue Link, twice for the satellite radio, once to repair power mirror, once to replace defective door panel, they're refusing to fix bubbling paint on door saying it's "commercially acceptable" and are calling the new grinding in the transmission when reversing "characteristic of the vehicle. Car is only 3-1/2 months old and has been nothing but problems. Filed an arbitration claim with BBB but am now told the nearest office to hear the claim is a 5 hour drive away one way. Don't buy a Hyundai since they require you sign a BBB arbitration clause, unless you have a BBB site closer than 5 hours away.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Hyundai Veloster in WA is:

$181 per month*