Used 2012 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Veloster model:

Warranty is useless if dealer fails to perform work
By daviator

2012 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

The car if fun and sporty but I have had some issues. The dual clutch for AT sometimes grinds when shifting. Transmission is very jerky in stop-and-go traffic. The real problem is with Hyundai, its dealers and its "warranty". Twice my car was in for an intermittent problem misaligned touch screen. Each time the dealerships (I tried two) claimed to have applied a software fix. After the problem began again I took it to a third dealer who stated that the fixed were never actually applied. Now the radio is out of warranty (it's only 3/36) but Hyundai refuses to cover the fix even though promised work under warranty was never performed.

fun, unique looking, sportyish for an econobox.

Honor the warranty. Make sure the dealers are doing the work they are charging you to do.

Bad Reviews
By morseplace

2012 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have read a lot of bad reviews on this car but I must say I bought my veloster brand new and haven't had a single issue with it. Yes the tires are garbage but you will find these crappy tires on many new vehicles. I haven't had to replace mine yet with 40,000km but maybe next year. I rotate them every 10,000km. My car has never been back to the dealership partly because I have never had any issues with it and in part to the fact I don't trust dealerships. So I do all my own maintenance. The fuel economy is great and having a manual transmission I am able to find the power if I need it. All in all I am very happy with this car!

Heated comfortable seats, USB stereo, fuel economy, hatchback, handling

better stock tires

Good little hatch with surprising room
By bretpk

2012 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought the '12 Veloster in NYC and drove it cross-country to LA on my move, packed with two dogs, a girlfriend and more bags than I ever thought it could handle. I stopped mid-way on the trip at my parents' place and as I was unloading, my mother commented that it was like a clown car with the amount of luggage coming out of there. If you pack right, its' truly remarkable what you can fit. From a looks perspective, the Veloster was a little ahead of its time. People thought it was fantastic or ugly as sin. Now 3 years later I see a ton of them on the road in LA. Clearly, it's catching on.

Cargo area, sunroof, handling, general comfort, surprising fit and finish.

Horsepower (improved in the latest models) is sub-par. Thank goodness I got the manual transmission so I can choose to push the throttle when necessary. MPG is great on the highway or in smaller cities, but subpar in busy, traffic-challenged cities like LA. I get 25 in town, 38ish on the highway, and 33ish in town in mid-size cities like Phoenix, Denver, Minneapolis. Interior is VERY easy to scratch...they used recyclable materials and frankly, it's cr*p. You can nick it with a fingernail scratch.

I should've listened to my father
By mrskenny

2012 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

I've had problems with my Veloster after hitting the 25,000 miles range. I had to replace my tires, twice, and after complaining to consumer affairs, I was sent a reply email basically telling me nothing is their fault. The Veloster does not come with a spare so I had to call road side assistance. Road Side assistance told me to go to the nearest Hyundai dealership....it was Sunday, they're closed. So, basically, Hyundai uses really bad tire manufacturers and then claims to have no sort of responsibilities for the types of tires they put on your car. The "touch screen" screen stopped working, even after having a recall and getting it fixed. I will never again purchase a Hyundai!!!

Love my Orange Go-Kart
By sduquette27

2012 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2012 Veloster used with the Hyundai CPO warranty and so far I love this car! It handles like a dream and is so much fun to drive, the features that this car has are great especially for the money! Super fun and fuel efficient!

Handling, design, equipment, love the panoramic roof!