Used 2012 Hyundai Veloster Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Veloster - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Veloster model:

Love the looks, disappointed on the whole
By John cesarini

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Mileage is great. Suspension is too harsh. Steering feels disconnected. Acceleration is poor, car is underpowered in my opinion. Brakes are great. Instrumentation layout and performance is very good. Navigation system is horrible; inaccurate and a rip-off in my opinion. Rattles in dashboard and now more are starting in other places in vehicle (60K miles). Awful smell coming from hvac system after about a year (a common problem - many internet posts about this). Interior looks 'cheap'. Low beam headlights don't illuminate the road far enough ahead. 4 season tires it came with were terrible in the snow - have since purchased other ones that are much better. One of the two automatic door lock\unlock\push button start failed after about 58000 miles. Rear view back up camera is great - better than others I have seen.
This was the first sporty car I ever owned; I really like the way it looks. I wish I'd experience driving other sporty\sports cars before purchasing it. I would not buy this car again and would not recommend it. It is also the first Hyundai I ever purchased and I would be very reluctant to buy a different model Hyundai.

Sporty, economical and fun
By Rick

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

2013 Veloster
By Caleb

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I am pleased with this car, this is my first Hyundai. I needed a bit larger car for commuting manual a must that would offer good mpg. I have been a Miata owner but needed space. Coming from manuals I will say the only thing I don't enjoy 100% is the plastic feel while shifting. Nothing like the two Mazda Miata I have owned. But the Veloster isn't a sports car!!!! For me the 1.6l is fine people bash it way to much. One thing I will say, I do my own maintenance and I STRONGLY Suggest a can of BG 44k. If you do your research online you can pick it up $21-24. It is the best fuel cleaner!!!! I throw a can in every 10,000 miles and every DI engine I have had gets 1-3more mpg. ( this is not to gain hp, or anything it's a very good cleaning agent, bye bye carbon) you will still need to get your valves/ Manifold cleaned if you want your car to last. This said I really enjoy my 2013 V with 48,000 miles. [non-permissible content removed]

Love Love Love my Veloster
By MorganW.

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Red, Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

2012 Black Veloster with 50K on it.

I love love love my veloster. I treat this car as if it were my child. Its fun to drive. Eye catching. and Unique.
It does have a lot of vibration you can feel the road more than other cars, I kind of like that though.
People said the sound wasnt good - theres different settings I really like it.
The tire situation kinda sucks. With the rims etc you will need more expensive tires. Im not sure if its because the car is low but I have put some
bubbles in tires and had to get new ones.... which wasnt so great.

I looooove the interior and the seats. It took a while to get use to the head rests though, not the most comfortable for my back but I adjusted to it.
There ARE blindspots. I am a very experienced driver throughout NYC and multiple states - parallel parking is a talent of mine.. with this car it's not as easy as others due to blind spots. its also sometimes hard to gauge how far you are from stuff. With the seats down, this car fits A LOT even though its a compact hatchback. I love hatchbacks!!

I think this car is great on gas. Thats a major bonus. But, like every other car it depends on where you drive/live. If you live outside of a major city the mpg is awesome. Ive hit 40-50 mpg before!!!!!!

Snow. Ok... its awful in the snow. If you live in a place that gets a lot of snow -OR- you HAVE to get to a job or drive in any snow - this car is prob not for you. The tires get snow PACKED in them almost immediately, even in extremely light snow - turning the car into a SLED. But, hey.. you shouldnt be driving in the snow any way. Also, I recently got hit with 2 ft of snow and had to dig my car out. After the snow storm, next day I guess the rims got snow or ice packed into them. This CAN cause your car to vibrate like CRAZY on the highway over 50 mph. This can happen with a lot of cars... so make sure you clean it out real good.

Keyless entry - I did have a problem with my remote/keyless entry. Im not sure what went wrong but the warranty covered it.
Touch Screen - Am currently having issues with the clock it wont hold time. But luckily I can take it to the dealership. One day it ditched my bluetooth phone settings too. Not cool.

3rd Door - Somewhat useful if you have passengers (i dont) I wish they ditched the 3rd door because the car would look so much cooler.

Everything else has been fine. My boyfriend currently has an older mercedes and wants to ditch it for the veloster.
A lot of people say this car isnt fast.. it is fast...esp for a smaller car. .. its grrrreat for a 4 cyclinder.

Oh, also if you have back problems, handicaps, or are really tall or fat...this is not the car for you.
My dad is large..height and mass...and he struggles to get into the car and acts like hes being suffocated.
My mother has hip issues and its harder for her to get in and out.
Also, the doors are heavy and can be annoying because they fly back at you as your trying to get out or if the wind is blowing hard.

If you have kids, this prob isnt the best car for you.
I've had a toyota matrix which was really awesome and at 120K i had just replaced tires and a sensor.
However, the veloster is soooo much more fun. So, you have kids? = matrix, go camping.
No kids? = speed around town in your awesome veloster.

I love my car sooo much

Not the best quality car I've ever owned
By Robert

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

The interior is very cheap and 99%plastic. It does break in your hands and the accent colors will rub off after a while. Don't get get in a hurry because the little 1.6 is very noisy and doesn't move the car very well.. The Dual Clutch Transmission is very jerky, makes odd noises, and doesn't seem to be engineered very well for the way it's acting at 95k miles. I bought this car used and I'm thinking it may cost me a bunch of money in the long run...