2016 Hyundai Tucson SUV Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Hyundai Tucson SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tucson model:

Car almost got me killed several times
By Momof3

2016 Hyundai Tucson SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

My husband bought me this car to replace a CRV. It was the ultimate car of my dreams and despite the high cost, we leased it. At first the car ran great. I loved the interior and the color. However, after awhile, it started jerking going up hills and sputtering making turns. Eventually, it stopped going when I would press the gas to the point where I was almost taken out by a truck. The car was recalled whereas the recall stated my car needed a software update, and then a hood latch update and then again for another software update. Each time I took it to get the updates, it would run okay for a day, but after it would start with the transmission problems and sputtering and jerking. After riding the car on the highway for about 40 minutes, the "Transmission is too hot!" warning came on, but luckily I was right down the street from my home. We took it back to the repair shop and that is where it will stay until the problem is fixed or Hyundai takes it back. This car is UNSAFE to drive and Hyundai is NOT listing and won't until somebody is killed.

My first real lemon also!!
By Skip

2016 Hyundai Tucson SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

When I first purchased the vehicle I noticed a significant delay between pressing on the gas pedal and acceleration. Within one week of driving the Tuscon I was almost in an accident because the SUV was slow to respond through an intersection. I reported this to the dealer and was informed by one of his technicians that there was a recall and a software update was needed. The update was only moderately successful. The transmission is unpredictable in how it responds to steep hills, sporadically jerky, and still, at times, slow to accelerate only now its inconsistency keeps you sweating it out at busy intersections. Every passenger that has been in this vehicle has commented on it. I've talked to the technician and he told me this is the nature of a dual clutch transmission but he would look at it. I have told the owner of the Hyundai dealership on two occasions that I believe this vehicle is unsafe and should not be on the road.

Transmission Issues Not Worth It
By BPJ

2016 Hyundai Tucson SUV Limited 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

We want to love this redesigned Tucson. We actually traded a 2014 model to get the upgrades included in 2016. However, after owning the car a year, we can firmly state that we would not purchase it again. After less than two months of normal driving, we began to experience the huge delay and hesitation in shifting from a stop. More than a few times, I felt that my safety was in serious danger. We took the vehicle back to the dealership multiple times to address the issue, but they did not appear to take our complaints seriously until we escalated the problem to the corporate level. At less than six months, our vehicle got an entirely new transmission replacement. It had literally been in the service department a quarter of the time that we owned it. We were very hesitant to accept the "resolution" of a new transmission, however we decided to give it a try. Another six months later, we have begun to experience the same issues again, particularly if the A/C has been turned on right after starting the vehicle. While the Aug. 2016 software update has yet to be installed, we are extremely disappointed in this vehicle. Our feeling is that there will continue to be "updates" for the life of the vehicle. We do not recommend it to anyone, because the time and energy spent trying to fix these MAJOR safety issues is not worth it. We firmly believe that someone will end up getting critically injured in one of these vehicles, resulting in a class action lawsuit.

Well Put Together. We Love it.
By John

2016 Hyundai Tucson SUV Limited 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

We had looked at the Tucson three years ago and were not at all impressed. This year we looked at the 2016 Tucson Limited and test drove it before we bought it. We were impressed with the changes. The interior quality was excellent with everything having a tight fit and the the driver and passenger electric seats are great. Very good visibility over the dash and hood. We love the push button start and auto tail gate opening as you approach the rear of the car. The BlueLink is easy to use and my wife loves it. The back up camera assist is huge.The radio sound system on the Limited is fabulous. And on this SUV the road noise and wind noise has been reduced significantly. The Navigation system is easy to use and we like the built in compass that shows in the rear view mirror and on the navigation system. The Limited has a 7" navigation screen plus extra safety features I won't get into. We love this car. The only down sides so far was that we paid a little more then we wanted to to get the bells and whistles we wanted plus the leather seats. But the apparent quality of the material, options we got and warranty sold us. One thing to note. We did not experience some of the more serious issues other reviewers noted regarding the Turbo Charger. We did note a slight hesitation in starting off after a "stop". The Dealer notified us a week later of a software fix which we had done and so far the engine in very very quiet as well as the transmission. And we get a smooth start. When the car is in idle you can't even tell it is running. Early days yet, but after looking at the material quality, road noise etc of Ford and Chevy this car has them beat. Now time will tell. If you want all the bells and whistles go with the Limited. We passed on the sun roof.

Dont waist your money
By tuscon

2016 Hyundai Tucson SUV Eco 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I've had the car a year and on my second service they replaced a part in my transmission. I asked why and they made it sound like a recall part, but it wasn't I found out. This is when the problems started. The car once warmed up and I come to a stop in drive position it would feel like someone was push on the car from outside, and making a rumbling that seemed like it was going to stall. I have taken in three time to have fixed with no help. Since my car has no lights indicating a issue my dealer or Consumer affairs Hyundai would help. I told the dealer to reverse whatever it was they did, but they said they couldn't. Besides this the car shifts all over the place and jerks you around its horrible and engine sounds terrible. The cloth interior is horrible I have white stain marks everywhere on my black cloth. If you get water or any kind of moistness on interior it stains. the only way to get fix is shampooing the car seats which is expensive. Lots of plastic and falling apart already. I'm really depressed because I have always had used cars and problems and finally bought a new car so I wont have to deal with issues and here I am again. I will be turning car into Lemon law attorney to take care of since no one can seem to fix. Also, I meet a girl with same car and same issues. These cars should be completely recalled they should not be allowed out on the road.