Used 2012 Hyundai Tucson SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Tucson - Consumer Reviews

2012 Hyundai Tucson SUV

View reviews for a specific Tucson model:

All the Thrill of Watching Grass Grow
By ebie

2012 Hyundai Tucson SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Driving this boring car is almost as much fun as watching grass grow. Hopelessly underpowered, it takes forever to get up to highway speed, and merging into highway traffic is a religious experience. The ignition often doesn't want to release the key, resulting in the epic "man vs machine" battle. The bolt holding the driver's seat in place on its track has come out on its own several times, leaving the seat at the lowest position, which is lovely if you are tall or don't mind sitting on the floor. This car has a rough buckboard ride. Driving in the rain with the standard tires is rather unnerving as the car feels as though it is slipping and sliding rather than rolling smoothly forward

Favorite Features

None. This vehicle is a complete and utter snooze to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Putting an adequate engine with decent horsepower in it to alleviate the lousy acceleration would bea nice place to start.

Tuscon: Overpriced Disappointment
By mybestequinox

2012 Hyundai Tucson SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a Tuscon because I wanted the style and improved gas mileage over my heavy Chevy. I had owned a number of Hyundai vehicles and had largely been pleased with them. Two Sante Fes and the Luxury Hyundai. This vehicle did not match up. My son said, "You don't drive this car. It drives you." Constantly have to correct steering. Can't control acceleration. Won't accerate, then takes off whining. I was happy the day I bought it and the day you sell (albeit at a loss). Miserable in between. Dealer unable to remedy any of the complaints. Sold at 12,000 miles. Whew. Will never buy another Hyundai. Got my Equinox back and love it as well at the real 32 mpg.

Favorite Features

Styling. The vehicle looks nice from the outside. I like the bright cranberry red color. Low sleek stance.

Suggested Improvements

Once Hyundia acknowledged that they "miscaculated" the mileage on "only 43%" of it's fleet, I no longer had the stomach for this vehicle or for the new Elantra which I also owned. First of all the interior, as described by others appears very cheap even tho it was the Limited most expensive version of the vehicles. The stated mileage never came close. So I had a smaller and more expensive vehicle that looked cheap and plastic on the inside with poorer mileage. Linkage poor. Jumpy and uncontrollable. The design and engineering on the insideis poor with controls not where you would expect them to be and leather that feels like course vinyl. Rides like a bouncing brick.

Fun but needs more
By mlien

2012 Hyundai Tucson SUV GLS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the Tuscon straight out of college, and it was the closest thing I could find to what I wanted in my budget. I would say it has a low-budget feel to the inside. If you do a lot of highway travel, it is loud. It could have used another layer of insulation on the bottom. After 70 mph there is a high squeal coming from somewhere in the window. The dealer hasn't been able to figure it out. There is also a smell of mildew in the car from the AC. Both things are apparently common, but the dealer hasn't been able to figure out. For the price point, its a great vehicle. I have moved large pieces of furniture. It's very spacious. It has some get up and go for a 4 cylinder.

Favorite Features

The company does bend over backwards to help. With warranties they provide its hard to complain too much. It drives like a go-cart, which I personally love. When the back seats are down, I have moved chairs, mulch, and wood in the cabin with all doors/windows closed. Its spacious.

Suggested Improvements

Another layer of insulation on the bottom to help with the highway noise. It feels as if another $1000 or so of quality materials were put into it would be a perfect small SUV.

Great Car with a couple of annoyances.
By drjc3

2012 Hyundai Tucson SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

6 months & 4000 miles later ... All around performance is great. Gas mileage is a bit off the sticker's EPA estimate, but not by much. I wouldn't hesitate in buying another Hyundai.

Favorite Features

Overall looks in & out ... lot's of pep when eco button is off ... good balance of ride/handling/quietness.

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth is hit-n-miss ... very frustrating! Homelink button is not only awkward to press, but is not lit-up at night. I had to buy a garage door transmitter to clip over the visor to open the door more easily ... not well thought out by the designers.

I LOVE my Hyundai!!
By camillerrose

2012 Hyundai Tucson SUV GLS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Before buying my hyundai in November 2011, I tested out a few other SUVs and out of all of them I loved the Tucson! I was given a really good price and was able to do a trade-in. I love traveling, so I'm always in my car. Very cozy, and I enjoy all of the accessories inside and out. There weren't too many color choices when picking out the vehicle, but I'm not complaining. I get compliments from everyone around town. I actually feel safe when I'm driving in the car. Very good choice when changing from a sedan to SUV! Now my SUV has tinted windows, street-glow and a system, which the vehicle handles everything VERY well! I've had the Tucson for 8.5 months and have gone about 11,500 miles

Favorite Features

Comfort of seats, fold down back seats, came with tinted back and rear windows, smooth ride!

Suggested Improvements

Depending on the highway you're on, sometimes the noise can be a little loud. Wish the seats in the back were able to go down 100% flat instead of 90% flat.