Used 2008 Hyundai Tucson Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Tucson - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tucson model:

New owner
By longbeachjohn

2008 Hyundai Tucson GLS 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Drove a 6cyl then a 4 cyl and there was very little difference in performance. Car has good space inside, controls and features great. I appreciate the safety stuff like traction and stability control and all the airbags. First weekend cruise got 24+ mpg, mixed bag intown and freeway at 75+. Will update in the future. Like to see more cubby holes for things like cel phone.

Best SUV I've owned
By coyote prosapio

2008 Hyundai Tucson SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We live in the "outback" of New Mexico, a mix of bad paved roads and dirt. I've owned a 4-Runner, a Tundra, a Subaru and a mix of Detroit bummers, this small SUV is at the top of the list. We got about 27mpg in the Subaru along with a tough ride. We get a great ride in the Tundra, but truck mileage. In the Hyundai we get 30 on the highway and a Tundra ride. (and a Tundra sound system, AM/FM/CD/Cassette.) I hope this one is as long lasting as a Toyota 'cause we intend to keep it as our main ride. I've read the comments about "ungainly ride" but that isn't my experience at all. In fact this one rides as well as the Tundra which is like a limo.

Ride, gas mileage, power (V-6, Auto) which outperforms our '01 Outback, comfort, good seats, room, and a quiet ride which I expect will improve once I replace the Bridgstones with Michelins.

I'm not crazy about the exterior design, but this ugly duck gives us too many up-sides to make that "problem". The Subaru looks a lot better but the trade off of ride discomfort hardly makes that important. I could care less about "turning heads" given the pluses of this vehicle.

a wonderful little SUV
By awongmath

2008 Hyundai Tucson SE 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this little SUV for 15 months now, with nary a service problem or defect. I test drove a RAV4, VUE, Escape, and the CRV; I needed a vehicle that could easily tote my daughter's everyday wheelchair and a sport wheelchair. This SUV is roomy (can hold her everyday wheelchair in the back or two medium dog crates w/o putting the rear seat down), is great fun to drive, and the turning radius is good (better than Mazda MPV, about the same as a Camry, not as good as a Volvo or BMW sedan).

The rear seat folds down flat;there is a tray to hold tools or other items over the spare tire that frees up space in the glovebox;

Make sure you get the cupholder - it is not standard.

hmmmmm, jury is still out.
By Salem Boicot

2008 Hyundai Tucson GLS 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

So far, I like the general conservative styling of the vehicle. I have the black interior which gets rid of a lot of the tackiness and cheap feel. Audio is great. Handling is brilliant for a car in its' class. A few blind spots, but otherwise vision is good. Space is well used in car, although question to the depth of the dashboard, could be smaller so that the interior is forward with larger boot. Fuel economy and engine performance is rubbish. Thus far have got no where near what the dealer claimed, transmission is horrible, it needs 5 gears with better ratios, and it loves a drink. You watch the fuel gauge more than the road. Don't get this if you want an economical car.

The comfort of the seats, as I am about 175cm high, and 75 kgs, it fits me well, all controls are well placed and easy to reach, room is pretty good considering it is not a huge car, handles really well surprising for a vehicle of its' price, style, and size.

The 2.0ltr engine needs a re-design to a longer stroke or something, maybe even to be a 2.4 ltr 4 cylinder, the transmission needs a 5th gear so that the gears will change to improve fuel economy and not work the engine so hard. It can never seem to find the right gear. The ratios need working out.

Great vehicle
By DeerJohn

2008 Hyundai Tucson GLS 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

When I decided I no longer needed a pickup, I looked at RAV4 and CRV, but chose the Hyundai because of price and warranty. I no longer consider American-made cars. The Tucson is roomy, comfortable, handles well, and has great visibility. The 4c engine seems noisy and underpowered to me compared to my wife's 4c Accord, but I no longer need those features. I did expect better gas mileage than 24 mpg, but that may improve. One bad feature is the light-colored interior, which is hard to keep clean. Did not think of that when I bought. I always felt that home carpets and car interiors should be a dark color, as people tend to walk on them. Seatcovers and mats help.

handles well, turns well, good visibility, comfortable adjustable seats, good sound system, nice clean exterior lines, folding rear seats.

Darker interior (floors and seats), better gas mileage, odometer display on panel too large and too bright.