Used 2008 Hyundai Tucson Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Tucson - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tucson model:

Comfy but not practical
By nomer

2008 Hyundai Tucson GLS 4dr SUV w/XM (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this 10 months ago and am looking to trade it in even though I know I will take a loss. has tons of cargo space and leg room, but the motor works too hard. Doesn't feel like it shifts properly. Not very darty--takes a long time to accelerate. Gas mileage for me has been consistently at 18 miles and less. I have never gotten even 19 mile per gallon as stated. 14 gallon tank is small--feels like I am always at the gas station. radio and amenities are positioned well for a comfy ride. Great heat and A?C but is hard to hear radio over it--not strong speakers

Roomy,with lots of storage. I love the color, too! It looks good! Unfortunately, good looks is about all it has going for it.

It needs a tougher exterior. It dings and dents very easily. Also, If I let the gas get too low, it will only fill up to 7 gallons. I think the sensor is broken. Overpriced for such a vehicle that does not seem too powerful, and is a gas hog, Blind spot is behind drivers seat.

Not a bad ride
By SLU2

2008 Hyundai Tucson SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

As much legroom as a Ford Explorer but much better fuel economy...

Stylish and nimble handling. The V-6 has good power..

Automatic light sensing headlights and a compass and temp feature

Best bang for the buck
By Craig

2008 Hyundai Tucson GLS 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this SUV after having a 4 cyl 5 speed Sante Fe for 4 years & was quite happy with both service & reliability with Hyundai vehicles. Was looking for something comparable & found the 4 cyl 5 speed Tucson surprisingly similar to drive. Handles very well in the city with great gas mileage. Having purchased a front-wheel drive, a good set of snow tires handled winter driving in the snow well. The highway driving is very good but the engine works harder on hills with 4 passengers and a full load, which is to be expected. Interior noise is surprisingly quiet for a hard working engine as well as very smooth handling. Recommend this vehicle with anyone with kids.Trunk space is a minimum

Low noise interior, Good road handling in all weather conditions. Recommend 5speed with a 4 cylinder. Excellent city driving & good highway driving.

Base model to have cruise control.

My new car is a sporty SUV
By Sarde

2008 Hyundai Tucson Limited 4dr SUV w/XM (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car last week when my 90 Civic gave up the ghost. My wife and I are just married and we wanted a car we could take the future family and dog camping in. Plus it will be fun for our active/cycling lifestyle. I can fit a tandem bike in it with all the seats down! It was also important as this would be a family car that it have good safety features, it does! My wife has a 07 Sonata and we love its safety and quality which, is why we considered getting another Hyundai. And it rides so very smooth on my 40 mile daily commute. It was priced so competitively that we came in under budget, which makes up for the lower MPG. I can live with that now that I have a little more power-v6

High view of the road, cargo capacity, leather steering wheel, leather heated seats, good visibility, phenomenal safety features, rims are standard, fun to drive and a nice 6 disk stereo.

More MPG and power efficient engine like Honda's or Toyota's, better placement of the cargo cover, less invasive wind screen for the sunroof (it blocks much of the view), nicer subwoofer, and a better setup for the trip computer maybe adding a screen somewhere else for mileage related information.

New owner
By longbeachjohn

2008 Hyundai Tucson GLS 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Drove a 6cyl then a 4 cyl and there was very little difference in performance. Car has good space inside, controls and features great. I appreciate the safety stuff like traction and stability control and all the airbags. First weekend cruise got 24+ mpg, mixed bag intown and freeway at 75+. Will update in the future. Like to see more cubby holes for things like cel phone.