Used 2008 Hyundai Tucson Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Tucson - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tucson model:

Not a bad ride
By SLU2

2008 Hyundai Tucson SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

As much legroom as a Ford Explorer but much better fuel economy...

Favorite Features

Stylish and nimble handling. The V-6 has good power..

Suggested Improvements

Automatic light sensing headlights and a compass and temp feature

Best bang for the buck
By Craig

2008 Hyundai Tucson GLS 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this SUV after having a 4 cyl 5 speed Sante Fe for 4 years & was quite happy with both service & reliability with Hyundai vehicles. Was looking for something comparable & found the 4 cyl 5 speed Tucson surprisingly similar to drive. Handles very well in the city with great gas mileage. Having purchased a front-wheel drive, a good set of snow tires handled winter driving in the snow well. The highway driving is very good but the engine works harder on hills with 4 passengers and a full load, which is to be expected. Interior noise is surprisingly quiet for a hard working engine as well as very smooth handling. Recommend this vehicle with anyone with kids.Trunk space is a minimum

Favorite Features

Low noise interior, Good road handling in all weather conditions. Recommend 5speed with a 4 cylinder. Excellent city driving & good highway driving.

Suggested Improvements

Base model to have cruise control.

My new car is a sporty SUV
By Sarde

2008 Hyundai Tucson Limited 4dr SUV w/XM (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car last week when my 90 Civic gave up the ghost. My wife and I are just married and we wanted a car we could take the future family and dog camping in. Plus it will be fun for our active/cycling lifestyle. I can fit a tandem bike in it with all the seats down! It was also important as this would be a family car that it have good safety features, it does! My wife has a 07 Sonata and we love its safety and quality which, is why we considered getting another Hyundai. And it rides so very smooth on my 40 mile daily commute. It was priced so competitively that we came in under budget, which makes up for the lower MPG. I can live with that now that I have a little more power-v6

Favorite Features

High view of the road, cargo capacity, leather steering wheel, leather heated seats, good visibility, phenomenal safety features, rims are standard, fun to drive and a nice 6 disk stereo.

Suggested Improvements

More MPG and power efficient engine like Honda's or Toyota's, better placement of the cargo cover, less invasive wind screen for the sunroof (it blocks much of the view), nicer subwoofer, and a better setup for the trip computer maybe adding a screen somewhere else for mileage related information.

New owner
By longbeachjohn

2008 Hyundai Tucson GLS 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Drove a 6cyl then a 4 cyl and there was very little difference in performance. Car has good space inside, controls and features great. I appreciate the safety stuff like traction and stability control and all the airbags. First weekend cruise got 24+ mpg, mixed bag intown and freeway at 75+. Will update in the future. Like to see more cubby holes for things like cel phone.

Best SUV I've owned
By coyote prosapio

2008 Hyundai Tucson SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We live in the "outback" of New Mexico, a mix of bad paved roads and dirt. I've owned a 4-Runner, a Tundra, a Subaru and a mix of Detroit bummers, this small SUV is at the top of the list. We got about 27mpg in the Subaru along with a tough ride. We get a great ride in the Tundra, but truck mileage. In the Hyundai we get 30 on the highway and a Tundra ride. (and a Tundra sound system, AM/FM/CD/Cassette.) I hope this one is as long lasting as a Toyota 'cause we intend to keep it as our main ride. I've read the comments about "ungainly ride" but that isn't my experience at all. In fact this one rides as well as the Tundra which is like a limo.

Favorite Features

Ride, gas mileage, power (V-6, Auto) which outperforms our '01 Outback, comfort, good seats, room, and a quiet ride which I expect will improve once I replace the Bridgstones with Michelins.

Suggested Improvements

I'm not crazy about the exterior design, but this ugly duck gives us too many up-sides to make that "problem". The Subaru looks a lot better but the trade off of ride discomfort hardly makes that important. I could care less about "turning heads" given the pluses of this vehicle.