Used 2008 Hyundai Tucson Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Tucson - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tucson model:

Love This SUV
By Love My First SUV

2008 Hyundai Tucson GLS 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've only owned this vehicle for a couple of months and I'm very pleased. This is my very first SUV. My sister owns a Sonata and my dad owns a 2007 Tucson and I've never heard them complain so I got one. My Tucson is a 2.0L 4-cyl but I like it. Could do a lot better on gas.

I love how the headlights turns off once the keys are removed from the ignition. Radio is also decent.

Make the center console armrest a little bigger

Best Vehicle I've Driven
By Greg S.

2008 Hyundai Tucson SE 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

In driving cars since 1975 the Tucson is the best vehicle I've owned. Does it have shortcomings, of course. But, I knew that when I bought it. As of 8-16-10 I have 36,000 and not one problem. Tires are still very good, oil is changed every 3,000 to 4,000 and lubed. Preventive maintenance is key. The only thing I don't like it that it is noisy from a tire standpoint. Good mileage up to 27 mpg on the highway and about 22 in local traffic. It's just a nice vehicle.

I really like the CD and cassette feature. It is one of the reasons why I chose it. Comfortable seating for me and my wife. Smaller people like the back.

Not sure what can be done but more soundproofing coming from the wheels.

Does What I Want
By DAS

2008 Hyundai Tucson SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a used 2008 Hyundai Tucson 4x4, 2.7L V-6 last year from CarMax to replace our 2005 RAV4 after a wreck. So far, we are satisfied with the Tucson. I had a chance to try out the ABS, traction control, 4 wheel drive, and stability control several times this winter in New Mexico - it all works well. At 21k, the Bridgestones are already showing moderate wear, so we'll be looking at new tires probably by 30k or so. I'm not overly impressed with the 2.7L V-6. It's short on power and only averages around 19 to 20 mpg, giving us the power of a 4 and the mileage of a 6, the worst of both worlds. But it's reliable with no mechanical or quality issues. So far, so good.

The safety features give us a confident feeling on the open road. The Tucson may not be in the same league nor command as much respect as the RAV4 and CRV, but for the money, it's a heck of a good value.

I've already mentioned the engine. I was initially impressed with the dual tailpipes in the rear until I got under the vehicle to check out the exhaust and other parts and pieces. I was amused to find that the exhaust is only a single pipe and large muffler, with two tailpipes exiting the rear.

Great buy!
By DeeJai

2008 Hyundai Tucson GLS 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Hyndai Tucson in late '08 at a decent "end of model year" discount. This is by far the smallest, and only front wheel drive suv I have ever owned but it has proven it self very capable. I have taken it from Washington, to Utah, to Alaska, all the way up to Inuvik,NWT (look it up on a google) and then all the way to New York. It does amazingly well on snow (with some good snow tires)and even handles mud and dirt roads with ease. All around I'm sure glad I bought a Tucson!

I love the way the shift is set up, night and high without taking up too much room as well as the great factory installed speakers. Just about everything in the vehicle is very well thought out.

A few complaints I have with this model: The center console is too far back if your on the shorter side making it hard to rest your arm.

Comfy but not practical
By nomer

2008 Hyundai Tucson GLS 4dr SUV w/XM (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this 10 months ago and am looking to trade it in even though I know I will take a loss. has tons of cargo space and leg room, but the motor works too hard. Doesn't feel like it shifts properly. Not very darty--takes a long time to accelerate. Gas mileage for me has been consistently at 18 miles and less. I have never gotten even 19 mile per gallon as stated. 14 gallon tank is small--feels like I am always at the gas station. radio and amenities are positioned well for a comfy ride. Great heat and A?C but is hard to hear radio over it--not strong speakers

Roomy,with lots of storage. I love the color, too! It looks good! Unfortunately, good looks is about all it has going for it.

It needs a tougher exterior. It dings and dents very easily. Also, If I let the gas get too low, it will only fill up to 7 gallons. I think the sensor is broken. Overpriced for such a vehicle that does not seem too powerful, and is a gas hog, Blind spot is behind drivers seat.