2008 Hyundai Tucson - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tucson model:
Love This SUV
By Love My First SUV on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Tucson GLS 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've only owned this vehicle for a couple of months and I'm very pleased. This is my very first SUV. My sister owns a Sonata and my dad owns a 2007 Tucson and I've never heard them complain so I got one. My Tucson is a 2.0L 4-cyl but I like it. Could do a lot better on gas.

Best Vehicle I've Driven
By Greg S. on 08/16/10 10:45 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Tucson SE 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

In driving cars since 1975 the Tucson is the best vehicle I've owned. Does it have shortcomings, of course. But, I knew that when I bought it. As of 8-16-10 I have 36,000 and not one problem. Tires are still very good, oil is changed every 3,000 to 4,000 and lubed. Preventive maintenance is key. The only thing I don't like it that it is noisy from a tire standpoint. Good mileage up to 27 mpg on the highway and about 22 in local traffic. It's just a nice vehicle.

Does What I Want
By DAS on 04/01/10 18:57 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Tucson SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a used 2008 Hyundai Tucson 4x4, 2.7L V-6 last year from CarMax to replace our 2005 RAV4 after a wreck. So far, we are satisfied with the Tucson. I had a chance to try out the ABS, traction control, 4 wheel drive, and stability control several times this winter in New Mexico - it all works well. At 21k, the Bridgestones are already showing moderate wear, so we'll be looking at new tires probably by 30k or so. I'm not overly impressed with the 2.7L V-6. It's short on power and only averages around 19 to 20 mpg, giving us the power of a 4 and the mileage of a 6, the worst of both worlds. But it's reliable with no mechanical or quality issues. So far, so good.

Great buy!
By DeeJai on 11/15/09 11:06 AM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Tucson GLS 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Hyndai Tucson in late '08 at a decent "end of model year" discount. This is by far the smallest, and only front wheel drive suv I have ever owned but it has proven it self very capable. I have taken it from Washington, to Utah, to Alaska, all the way up to Inuvik,NWT (look it up on a google) and then all the way to New York. It does amazingly well on snow (with some good snow tires)and even handles mud and dirt roads with ease. All around I'm sure glad I bought a Tucson!

Comfy but not practical
By nomer on 10/14/09 15:56 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Tucson GLS 4dr SUV w/XM (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this 10 months ago and am looking to trade it in even though I know I will take a loss. has tons of cargo space and leg room, but the motor works too hard. Doesn't feel like it shifts properly. Not very darty--takes a long time to accelerate. Gas mileage for me has been consistently at 18 miles and less. I have never gotten even 19 mile per gallon as stated. 14 gallon tank is small--feels like I am always at the gas station. radio and amenities are positioned well for a comfy ride. Great heat and A?C but is hard to hear radio over it--not strong speakers

Not a bad ride
By SLU2 on 06/23/09 22:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Tucson SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

As much legroom as a Ford Explorer but much better fuel economy...

Best bang for the buck
By Craig on 05/30/09 17:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Tucson GLS 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this SUV after having a 4 cyl 5 speed Sante Fe for 4 years & was quite happy with both service & reliability with Hyundai vehicles. Was looking for something comparable & found the 4 cyl 5 speed Tucson surprisingly similar to drive. Handles very well in the city with great gas mileage. Having purchased a front-wheel drive, a good set of snow tires handled winter driving in the snow well. The highway driving is very good but the engine works harder on hills with 4 passengers and a full load, which is to be expected. Interior noise is surprisingly quiet for a hard working engine as well as very smooth handling. Recommend this vehicle with anyone with kids.Trunk space is a minimum

My new car is a sporty SUV
By Sarde on 04/01/09 13:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Tucson Limited 4dr SUV w/XM (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car last week when my 90 Civic gave up the ghost. My wife and I are just married and we wanted a car we could take the future family and dog camping in. Plus it will be fun for our active/cycling lifestyle. I can fit a tandem bike in it with all the seats down! It was also important as this would be a family car that it have good safety features, it does! My wife has a 07 Sonata and we love its safety and quality which, is why we considered getting another Hyundai. And it rides so very smooth on my 40 mile daily commute. It was priced so competitively that we came in under budget, which makes up for the lower MPG. I can live with that now that I have a little more power-v6

New owner
By longbeachjohn on 03/28/09 00:13 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Tucson GLS 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Drove a 6cyl then a 4 cyl and there was very little difference in performance. Car has good space inside, controls and features great. I appreciate the safety stuff like traction and stability control and all the airbags. First weekend cruise got 24+ mpg, mixed bag intown and freeway at 75+. Will update in the future. Like to see more cubby holes for things like cel phone.

Best SUV I've owned
By coyote prosapio on 03/27/09 08:57 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Tucson SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We live in the "outback" of New Mexico, a mix of bad paved roads and dirt. I've owned a 4-Runner, a Tundra, a Subaru and a mix of Detroit bummers, this small SUV is at the top of the list. We got about 27mpg in the Subaru along with a tough ride. We get a great ride in the Tundra, but truck mileage. In the Hyundai we get 30 on the highway and a Tundra ride. (and a Tundra sound system, AM/FM/CD/Cassette.) I hope this one is as long lasting as a Toyota 'cause we intend to keep it as our main ride. I've read the comments about "ungainly ride" but that isn't my experience at all. In fact this one rides as well as the Tundra which is like a limo.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.