Used 2006 Hyundai Tucson SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Hyundai Tucson - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tucson model:

What a piece of Korean junk!
By freud2000

2006 Hyundai Tucson SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Brakes went out under warranty. But by 58000 miles they were out again. ESC and ABS lights and system recall taken care of and four years later same problem so we had to pay over $600 for a new brake light switch and a new G-force sensor. They had to pull the entire dashboard out to get to the G-Force sensor. Over $2000 for fluids change and belts and a bad water pump. Lower control arms went a few years ago ... that was a real treat replacing those myself. Battery went under warranty. Despite wheel balance and alignment the car vibrates under normal driving conditions. Underside would have rusted through had I not been keeping up with the rust. Drive timing rings are ready to crack.

Favorite Features

The recall notices and the dealer buyback incentives ... yes ... get rid of this piece of junk.

Suggested Improvements

Buy a Toyota instead ...

A very dependable SUV
By bobomack

2006 Hyundai Tucson SUV GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Tuscan used with 62000 miles, no problems on it. I also got a car fax on the history of this vehicle. The previous owner only had a brake caliper replaced. I drive quite a bit, this vehicle has never let me down. It now has 87000 miles and purrs like a kitten. I haul a good bit in the cargo area with the back seats folded down, plenty of power. I read some complaints about milage and engine power, this one is a power wagon which runs great. Perhaps it's the 6 cylinder vs the 4 banger, but I love this vehicle and would by another Hyundai hands down, but not until this one dies. Plenty of leg room, very dependable!!

One of the best cars I have owned......
By chezslav

2006 Hyundai Tucson SUV GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I leased this car then bought it at the end of the lease. I have 90,000 miles on it and it has been trouble free. I did have to have the radio replaced but it was under warranty. I get 23.8 miles to a gallon. The car is fun to drive, VERY practical, and is loaded with features. We have driven this car hard and often. It has been from coast-to-coast and back. I intend to keep it until it dies. It is comfortable, but I DO wish it had another 4-5 inches of legroom in front. We are ALL tall in my family. I recently had the car detailed by my dealership and it looks brand new. I change the oil, fluids....etc..as needed. If you can find one of these cars and it has been cared for, buy it!

Favorite Features

The car is loaded, but not a limited. The FWD has been a solid performer.. All the safety features give piece of mind. I love the fact that the back window opens without the whole back gate needing to be raised. Very functional roof rack that I have modified with a wooden rack to add more capabilities. Love the styling and visability offered.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room in front. A more adjustable radio where the EQ can be set by the driver instead of having to use the pre-sets EQ settings.

Problems Galore! **Rebuilt Warranty**
By akkyle

2006 Hyundai Tucson SUV GLS 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My family bought a new 2006 Hyundai Tucson GLS 2.7L 4 speed Automatic in the fall of 2006. We have had it maintained every time at or before 3000 miles or 3 months (It has under 50,000 miles as of now, fall of 2011). When it was 3 years and approx. 30,000 it started having significant problems with the 4WD, transmission, and power steering. Now it has been sitting at the dealer for a month (NO JOKE!) for a ***REBUILT*** transmission to be put in and rear struts that recently started leaking. So far the dealer has not done anything to the car. We will never buy Hyundai again. RAV4 is the replacement SUV!

Favorite Features

Did you know the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty uses ***USED or REBUILT*** parts and are hardly if ever new parts? I didn't either until a month ago...

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, mpg in town, 4wd system, another gear or two??, TCU (trannsmission control unit), power steering

First SUV and Lovin it
By sunnydaze4u62

2006 Hyundai Tucson SUV GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have only had this little thing for a few weeks now but so far I love it. It handles very well on the road and the look is just what I have been looking for, its the right size for me. Only two complaints about it....not enough leg room for the driver and upfront passengers and the gas mileage. Was really hoping for a good MPG but I guess we cant have everything in life to go our way. It is used and I suspect that I will have some small issues coming around but all in all so far im very very happy.

Favorite Features

not sure what the feature is but turning corners is a dream. it handles very well on the road.

Suggested Improvements

Lots more leg room.....and better MPG