2005 Hyundai Tucson SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tucson model:
I'm going to miss you.
By hannnnaah on 08/19/13 21:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Tucson SUV GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Durable, reliable and fun. First car I ever had and I loved it. I put that thing down ATV trails and logging routes and it took it like a champ. Quick pick-up, quiet, and very sound-proof. Surprising room when seats folded down. It lacked superior gas milage, but averaging at about 20 mpg, it wasn't too bad. Also wasn't impressed when the back window fell off into my hands after the hinges somehow corroded. Rusting was a problem inside back door. I installed an after market sound system (dash stereo, all 4 speakers and a subwoofer). Stereo installation was a pain in the you know what, but the speakers and sub wired with incredible ease. Got me where I needed to go and had fun doing it.

7 Year review
By red70 on 12/01/12 22:30 PM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Tucson SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

LX 2.7L V6 4WD vehicle has been running fine. I only have 48K miles on the vehicle. I just replaced the front brake pads. I change the oil once per year. Hard to believe, but I enjoy this SUV more and more with each passing year. I like this original body style more than the new Tucson design. It has better visibility and allows less sun on your face. Also, I prefer a V6 engine. It still has more torque than the new Turbo 4 cylinder engines.

60,000 miles and now my engine just shuts off
By jmartin99 on 10/08/12 14:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Tucson SUV GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Tucson, and I have not had any issues until I brought it in back in August for its 60,000 mile warranty check up, and Now randomly my engine just shuts off while driving, this is scary. I have read up on many forrums that this is a problem that occurs in the 2005 Tucson. Shouldn't there be a recall???? This is dangerous!

6 Year Review
By red70 on 05/15/11 21:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Tucson SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Since the last 5 year review, have solved a few issues. #1) Removing the interior dome lights have solved the battery going dead problem. Maybe its related to the automatic lamp dimmer circuit which activates when you close the door. #2) The trans-axle has not leaked again, and is working fine since repaired a year ago. #3) The door remotes are still intermittent, but I can live with that. #4) Replaced the tires with Kumho tires, and must say they ride nice. #5) I have confidence once again in the vehicle, and now feel the Purchase was worth it.

Great Value, for the price
By Joe on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Tucson SUV GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the 05 Tucson in October and so far so good. The exterior is flashy and the interior isn't half bad either. the small v6 is good on gas and still has the pep that it should. Gear timing could be spaced a little more but i use the manual power shifter most of the time anyway. Good stock 6 speaker sound system with good midrange. Seat adjustment knobs are a little funny to play with; haven't quite found that perfect setting. 6 airbags are wonderful and give me peace of mind. Decent MPG. A great little sport cross for the price. I am impressed.

Strong buy. Love my blue Tucson!
By Yuri Aurich on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Tucson SUV GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The first Tucson I bought was a 2006 gls 0 miles and I loved it! Then gave it to my mom and bought a BMW 325i 2006 after taking care of the bimmer and dealing with "way to expensive" service and maintenance fee decided to sell it and I did. I feel so much better now I bought an used 2005 Hyundai Tucson gls 4wd and I love it! I feel so good driving my car and going to Mexico 650 miles roundtrip from Las Vegas! With 70,000 miles on it it drives and feel like new. I would definitely buy another one and definitely recommend it to family and friends and you guys! Peace of mind, Hyundai never let me down!

Poor resale /Trade-in value
By K.Kennedy on 08/05/10 07:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Tucson SUV GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Tuscon, but having a few problems, when you go through standing water you lose power steering and a battery light comes on. Scared I will lose control. Also off and on the power locks will not work have to unlock each door manually.

5 year review
By Red on 05/02/10 23:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Tucson SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Battery will go dead at infrequent random times. I installed a new battery, but same problem. Dealer has no idea how to fix it. The trans-axle began to leak oil and make a burning smell. The dealer repaired it alright. Front tires are already worn out at 38k miles. The door remote control function is intermittent. I find myself shifting in manual mode most of the time, to obtain the most power and gas mileage. Also, the warranty may appear good at first, but the required maintenance schedules should be reviewed before buying. Would I buy this vehicle again? I don't think so. Mostly because of the battery issue.

Better than Expected
By Watchin on 04/09/10 18:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Tucson SUV GL 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've come to enjoy this buggy more and more. It's an adult car! Even the back seat is adjustable for adults. You set the controls and it does what you'd expect. ESP off and 4 Wheel lock work up to 25 mph then go to normal safety mode. When you're bogged down below 25 it kicks back in.. Great bad weather car!

4.5 yrs and still like new!
By CT Tucson Driver on 03/31/10 12:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Tucson SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Still love this car, no problems 4.5 yrs later. Also was the least inexpensive & best bang for the buck when I bought it new vs CR-V, RAV4, X3, Escape and the only one of them that had all elements V6, 4wd, ESP, 6 airbags, Sunroof, Leather Heated Seats, and a 5yr Bumper to Bumper. I was worried at time about investing in a Hyundai but now believe they are a solid value company for cars under $30k. What Nissan and Toyota used to be 20 yrs ago! The 4wd & ease of driving in snow/rain has been fantastic, I will never go back to 2wd. Perfect utility car for daily commuting, running around with the kids to soccer & LL on weekends, and camping. I expect 10 yrs out of this car easy. Fun Ride