Used 2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Consumer Reviews - 98 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Tucson - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tucson model:

Bad experience
By mrembo

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when it was only 2yrs old. After 3 months, the engine light came on. I went to different mechanics including the dealer and all said front catalyst converter needs changed. I spent $1200 to fix it. A week after that, the engine light came back on, this time the rear catalyst converter needed changed, so another $1200 needs spent. I couldn't even pass emission test. Another problem is the radiator fan. I'm driving on the freeway and i see smoke coming from the engine, this time it's radiator fan, $500 and to make the matters worse, most parts have to be bought from the dealer and it's damn expensive. Now it's the front brakes that needs fixed. Most interior parts breaks.

60,000 miles and now my engine just shuts off
By jmartin99

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Tucson, and I have not had any issues until I brought it in back in August for its 60,000 mile warranty check up, and Now randomly my engine just shuts off while driving, this is scary. I have read up on many forrums that this is a problem that occurs in the 2005 Tucson. Shouldn't there be a recall???? This is dangerous!

Everything

Fix the issue with the engines just turning off!!!!

Great Value, for the price
By Joe

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the 05 Tucson in October and so far so good. The exterior is flashy and the interior isn't half bad either. the small v6 is good on gas and still has the pep that it should. Gear timing could be spaced a little more but i use the manual power shifter most of the time anyway. Good stock 6 speaker sound system with good midrange. Seat adjustment knobs are a little funny to play with; haven't quite found that perfect setting. 6 airbags are wonderful and give me peace of mind. Decent MPG. A great little sport cross for the price. I am impressed.

Sport shifter, illuminated door lights when exiting, Sound system, 6 airbags, flashy climate controls.

extended center armrest (too far back), guide for 3 point center rear safety belt needed, rear cup holders in back of center console instead of that weird storage compartment.

Poor resale /Trade-in value
By K.Kennedy

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Tuscon, but having a few problems, when you go through standing water you lose power steering and a battery light comes on. Scared I will lose control. Also off and on the power locks will not work have to unlock each door manually.

Love the size, but tried to trade in on a New Hyundai and The Dealership that I purchased this one from, gave me sticker price, and the lowest trade in value. I don't think they value their return customers very much!

I love it!
By MJ

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love this car! I bought it almost two years ago and I can't wait to upgrade and get the new Tuscon! The design is sleek and the size is perfect for a family of 4, with a lot of storage space in the back. I've only had to complete basic maintenance. The interior design isn't a 10, but it serves it's purpose. My mother in law drove my car (she travels a lot and gets rental cars fairly often) and she loves my car compared to many others that she's driven.

Stereo system, exterior design, leather seats with seat warmers :) Lots of interior room.

Armrest is too low.