2005 Hyundai Tucson - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tucson model:
60,000 miles and now my engine just shuts off
By jmartin99 on 10/08/12 14:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Tucson, and I have not had any issues until I brought it in back in August for its 60,000 mile warranty check up, and Now randomly my engine just shuts off while driving, this is scary. I have read up on many forrums that this is a problem that occurs in the 2005 Tucson. Shouldn't there be a recall???? This is dangerous!

Great Value, for the price
By Joe on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the 05 Tucson in October and so far so good. The exterior is flashy and the interior isn't half bad either. the small v6 is good on gas and still has the pep that it should. Gear timing could be spaced a little more but i use the manual power shifter most of the time anyway. Good stock 6 speaker sound system with good midrange. Seat adjustment knobs are a little funny to play with; haven't quite found that perfect setting. 6 airbags are wonderful and give me peace of mind. Decent MPG. A great little sport cross for the price. I am impressed.

Poor resale /Trade-in value
By K.Kennedy on 08/05/10 07:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Tuscon, but having a few problems, when you go through standing water you lose power steering and a battery light comes on. Scared I will lose control. Also off and on the power locks will not work have to unlock each door manually.

I love it!
By MJ on 03/29/10 13:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love this car! I bought it almost two years ago and I can't wait to upgrade and get the new Tuscon! The design is sleek and the size is perfect for a family of 4, with a lot of storage space in the back. I've only had to complete basic maintenance. The interior design isn't a 10, but it serves it's purpose. My mother in law drove my car (she travels a lot and gets rental cars fairly often) and she loves my car compared to many others that she's driven.

Love the Tucson
By JC on 06/01/09 18:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Have had the Tucson 4+ years and still is fun to drive, good in winter and air con works great in summer. Own an Acura MDX as well but end up taking the Tucson everywhere. Could buy a new car but afraid another car won't be as much fun or as reliable...

Power Failures
By College Student on 12/27/08 06:45 AM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a Tucson for female, working college student who commutes. Nothing but TROUBLE. Year 1 -it began flashing power lights, and dying on her while driving. Then began having dead batteries randomly. Hyundai Service refused to replace the battery until 2 year warranty was up so we had to PAY for one. Also dead if it isn't driven for several days. Something in the elec system is pulling juice during non- running time but they can't find it and have now given up. We will replace it with one she can be secure and safe driving (and not driving). SKIP THIS MODEL TUCSON!!!

Regret
By Nan on 04/22/08 08:14 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I enjoyed the look of this vehicle and warranty, very smooth ride. I only had the Tuscon for three weeks when it would die while driving it. Thank goodness for the warranty. I don't think I would purchase again. The Tuscon does not hold its value and not worth what I paid for it.

I'd recommend Hyundai
By dwhawtho on 08/11/07 04:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Very dependable and peppy - great interior features design. If the Santa Fe would have had better styling at the time, I would have enjoyed the extra cargo space. But, this has been a great vehicle to date!

Excellent budget choice
By Rogelio on 06/18/07 17:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We have had this SUV for 37K miles and 3 years. An excellent choice - we are now buying a new Hyundai Santa Fe. You get so much more for your money, and the quality is similar to Toyota or Honda. I know because I really checked this out. This car has been a really solid performer and reliable - we will keep in the family instead of selling it. for those who complain about the car, you need to take care of anything mechanical, and of course you need to compare to others in the class.

Updated 05 Tucson GLS review
By shane1v on 04/08/07 23:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've had the Tuc for a year and 7 months/18,500 miles now. I do like the car overall. The main problem is GAS MILEAGE. Check a few Tucson forums and you will find this is a major complaint. I get about 14mpg city! That is unacceptable. Hyundai has to address this, there IS a problem. I've also had a couple problems(A/C system almost caught fire) that required dealer attention. Other than this, I really enjoy the Tucson. Great looking, inside is very nice and well thought out, & all the standard safety features make this a great value Also, if you run into snow where you live, get the AWD. I wish I did now. PS to some other posters-I don't think the sideview mirrors are heated.