Used 2005 Hyundai Tucson Consumer Reviews - 321 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Tucson - Consumer Reviews

2005 Hyundai Tucson

View reviews for a specific Tucson model:

Amazing Vehicle
By Edwin

2005 Hyundai Tucson GL Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car rides and handles like a luxury vehicle, has superior technology for the price, and has been one of the most reliable and dependable cars I've owned. I've had the car for 11 years and 90,000 miles and don't want to let it go. The interior amenities are exceedingly well engineered for comfort and convenience. In fact I have had only two complaints: the original tires were junk and didn't last even 20,000 miles. And the road noise is excessive. Excellent suspension. I paid $20,000 and it has recently been appraised for $5,000 for sale to a private party. Only $15,000 depreciation over 11 years. Hyundai is an exceptional company and manufactures an exceptional automobile.

Best car I've ever owned !
By PJ Day

2005 Hyundai Tucson LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Tucson in June 2006 from CARMAX and paid about $16,000 with about 21,000 miles on it. I bought it for the cargo space. I was a bit concerned about a 4 cyl since my husband and I live in the mountains of North Georgia with some serious roads and hills. However, our concerns have never been realized in that this car can hold its own against many other more expensive cars. It takes to the snow with the front wheel drive like no rear wheel drive car can. I did buy chains but only use them when it's really heavy wet snow. Otherwise this car just goes and goes. The mileage is not the greatest and that really is the only flaw. This car now has 78.984 miles on it and has only had regular 3,000 mile oil changes. I have never even had to replace any kind of light bulb !
The back seats stay down most of the time to maximize cargo space. I used it as my pick up truck until my recently purchased Chevy 04 Silverado became my official pick up truck. The cargo space behind the rear seats when up, is poor but then I never have the seats up anyway.
The dash board plastics have held up unbelievably well and none of the print to name the items has worn off...not even on the electric windows. The ESC performs beautifully and was a standard installation long before other car makers even offered it ! Tucson was ahead of its time.
The seats have worn well although I put seat covers on just after I bought the car. The fact that the back window opens independently of the bottom portion is the envy of neighbors who have SUVs without this option. I can just open the window, reach in the back and pull something out without having to open the whole back door.
My Tucson may not be worth much in resale but given how well its performed to date, there is no way I would sell it ! I read about all the recalls on new cars and just smile. No recalls on my Tucson. I just love it !!!

Going great at 165k
By royyyy

2005 Hyundai Tucson GL Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have the Tucson with the 4cyl, FWD living in a snowy town in the northeast. It lacks acceleration and doesn't have a lot of frills. But it has held up well. No major issues except a transmission repair that cost about $500 in 2013. It had a surprising amount of cargo room. I was able to transport treadmills, large assembled 6 drawer dresser, a futon and many more. Hoping to get another 5 more years out of it

Bad experience
By mrembo

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when it was only 2yrs old. After 3 months, the engine light came on. I went to different mechanics including the dealer and all said front catalyst converter needs changed. I spent $1200 to fix it. A week after that, the engine light came back on, this time the rear catalyst converter needed changed, so another $1200 needs spent. I couldn't even pass emission test. Another problem is the radiator fan. I'm driving on the freeway and i see smoke coming from the engine, this time it's radiator fan, $500 and to make the matters worse, most parts have to be bought from the dealer and it's damn expensive. Now it's the front brakes that needs fixed. Most interior parts breaks.

10 Year Review
By red70

2005 Hyundai Tucson LX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

LX 2.7L V6 4WD. I have 63K miles on the vehicle as of today. Just replaced the rear brake pads. Change the oil once per year. Vehicle is still running fine with no problems. I still enjoy driving it. This was a good value for the money.
During the 10 years, there were only 3 main issues. The trans-axle leaking oil, The battery going dead randomly, and the intermittent door locks is ongoing.

Body style, V6 engine, 4x4 drive system, comfort.