Used 2005 Hyundai Tucson Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Tucson - Consumer Reviews

2005 Hyundai Tucson

View reviews for a specific Tucson model:

Bad experience
By mrembo

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when it was only 2yrs old. After 3 months, the engine light came on. I went to different mechanics including the dealer and all said front catalyst converter needs changed. I spent $1200 to fix it. A week after that, the engine light came back on, this time the rear catalyst converter needed changed, so another $1200 needs spent. I couldn't even pass emission test. Another problem is the radiator fan. I'm driving on the freeway and i see smoke coming from the engine, this time it's radiator fan, $500 and to make the matters worse, most parts have to be bought from the dealer and it's damn expensive. Now it's the front brakes that needs fixed. Most interior parts breaks.

Favorite Features

The sunroof and the car exterior is good looking.

Suggested Improvements

This car should be recalled.

10 Year Review
By red70

2005 Hyundai Tucson LX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

LX 2.7L V6 4WD. I have 63K miles on the vehicle as of today. Just replaced the rear brake pads. Change the oil once per year. Vehicle is still running fine with no problems. I still enjoy driving it. This was a good value for the money. During the 10 years, there were only 3 main issues. The trans-axle leaking oil, The battery going dead randomly, and the intermittent door locks is ongoing.

Favorite Features

Body style, V6 engine, 4x4 drive system, comfort.

I'm going to miss you.
By hannnnaah

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Durable, reliable and fun. First car I ever had and I loved it. I put that thing down ATV trails and logging routes and it took it like a champ. Quick pick-up, quiet, and very sound-proof. Surprising room when seats folded down. It lacked superior gas milage, but averaging at about 20 mpg, it wasn't too bad. Also wasn't impressed when the back window fell off into my hands after the hinges somehow corroded. Rusting was a problem inside back door. I installed an after market sound system (dash stereo, all 4 speakers and a subwoofer). Stereo installation was a pain in the you know what, but the speakers and sub wired with incredible ease. Got me where I needed to go and had fun doing it.

7 Year review
By red70

2005 Hyundai Tucson LX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

LX 2.7L V6 4WD vehicle has been running fine. I only have 48K miles on the vehicle. I just replaced the front brake pads. I change the oil once per year. Hard to believe, but I enjoy this SUV more and more with each passing year. I like this original body style more than the new Tucson design. It has better visibility and allows less sun on your face. Also, I prefer a V6 engine. It still has more torque than the new Turbo 4 cylinder engines.

Favorite Features

Body style, V6 engine, 4x4 drive system.

60,000 miles and now my engine just shuts off
By jmartin99

2005 Hyundai Tucson GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Tucson, and I have not had any issues until I brought it in back in August for its 60,000 mile warranty check up, and Now randomly my engine just shuts off while driving, this is scary. I have read up on many forrums that this is a problem that occurs in the 2005 Tucson. Shouldn't there be a recall???? This is dangerous!

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

Fix the issue with the engines just turning off!!!!